With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

why knives are so unpopular ?

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 am

Hi...

I have been kicked from RAWHIDE because i have played only with throwing knives... :(
And the map was No Name City, a long range style map... very difficult to play knives-only :/
I'm a little disappointed.
I guess it's a bit frustrating to loose versus a knives thrower, but sayin' to me "You're a noob with your knives" just after I made few long range shot... ... ...

Knives are slow, have a lot of lag before being shot, can be easily avoided, need vertical correction, and we only have 10 of them... so what ? I don't think this weapon is overpowered :/

Sorry for this post...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Dadamungo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:22 am

I like the knives. If I run out of ammo, I wait around the closet corner with the knife :) The Horsemen really likes the knives, he loves it when he finds guys like you that want to use them exclusively.

My only thing with the knives is that a boiler plate will not help against it.
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:15 am

The guy who kicked you is the noob! I'm not very good with the knives yet, but they are a fun part of the game.
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:21 am

The knives take a lot of skill in certain situations & I like using them. Could you tell me the name of the person(s) who vote kicked you? I'd like to keep my eyes out for them. (I don't like needless kicking from my server but I hate to disable voting.)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:53 pm

That you've been kicked because you were using the knives isn't ok :| . They're part of the game and everyone may use them :!:

I use them mostly when I've run out of ammo or in small rooms. Train e.g. is a good map for the knives, too :wink:

I don't think the knives are overpowered,too. And even if they would be overpowered, your opponent could also use them :wink:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:14 am

This is the first time I have been kicked, but it's not the first time people complain when I play knives only...

And because it is unusual to use them as main weapon, when seeing someone leading a deathmatch with knives, they think that it is just an exploit of an unbalanced weapon. :roll:
Sometime I play knives-only just because knives are fun, but to be honest (and that's why it's really ironic), most of time I play knives when a server is full of newcomer, because if I play with others weapons, they don't have any chance of killing me.

And as a proof, my brother and me have exactly the same level, but if I play knives-only against him, he will kill me 3 or 4 time more than I kill him. People who complain just don't realize that.

And of course, it is non-sensical to say "You're a noob with (whatever weapon)" to someone leading the match... ... ...

On the opposite side, if someone play knives-only against me and have very good skills with them, I just pick up a random shotgun and he can't do anything (on my opinion winchester '97 is the best).

@ ReD : Hehe, you don't know it, but you are the one who give me the idea of playing with them ;)
I remember the first time ever I have played against you, I was still a newcomer, and you have performed few nice knives shot through windows in HeH... I was impressed ! I remember you have killed me this way three time in the match, most of them with a bad-angle :D
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 am

Joe Kari wrote:@ ReD : Hehe, you don't know it, but you are the one who give me the idea of playing with them ;)
I remember the first time ever I have played against you, I was still a newcomer, and you have performed few nice knives shot through windows in HeH... I was impressed ! I remember you have killed me this way three time in the match, most of them with a bad-angle :D

I reckon' I'll take a bow & tip my hat then. :D Thanks for the pm. If you play with those people again, I suggest you use other weapons in addition to the knives. If they complain about knives, use dyno. If they complain about that too, use molotov's. Maybe eventually they will realize you are just better than them no matter the weapon. Still, sometimes I'll let noobs kill me every now & then just so they don't get upset & uninstall the game. After the SA comes out, I'd like to see a "Pro's Only Server". Maybe the new players won't go there, or will expect to die a lot if they do.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:00 am

Ya, if Red didn't let me shoot him once in awhile, I'd probably just play Halo! :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:17 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:Ya, if Red didn't let me shoot him once in awhile, I'd probably just play Halo! :D

Maybe I went a little easy on you CL (& a few others I can think of) when you first started playing. But not anymore. When y'all kill me now it's because of your hard earned skills. :wink: Hell, half the time I'm just trying to get away from you! :lol:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Also, knives are cheap! Better to get 5 knives than one weak pistol if you are poor. And they are re-usable if you get to them before your opponent.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Just like in the movies, eveyones always trying to prove themselves agains the fastest guns in the west, Red! But at a risk, as Josie said, "Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy". :lol:
Good point on the knives DU, also silent but deadly? (Hard to tell where the thrower is, sometimes).
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu May 01, 2008 1:06 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:Good point on the knives DU, also silent but deadly? (Hard to tell where the thrower is, sometimes).

In need. You have a very good point CL. If I am camped up in a building and I need to make a distraction. I will throw a knife at a window across the street. This will make my opponent think I'm in the other building, but in fact I have my crosshair on his back. Yes thats right Red... his back! :lol:

It would be nice if this game had the player base to have a Pro-Server and a Newbie server. I would rather see just a newbie server, because new players would go there, then feel they could join a normal server. I might be inclined to feel intimidated to join a "pro-server".

It is unfortunate that you were kicked Joe. I always see tnt, knifes, and molotov's as a way to take it easy on new players. I used to be i bit insulted when good players would go knifes only because I would feel they were saying "This guy isn't very good, and its not worth my time to play normally," but it did feel good to get some frags in.
Last edited by Pardner on Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Thu May 01, 2008 1:34 am

Pardner wrote:I might be inclined to feel intimidated to join a "pro-server".

Hey Pardner...I think you're just kidding. You are currently one of the best players. :wink:

And yes: Two differnt servers wood be better for the newbies and the hardcore players. I remeber as I first joined a free wq3 server, my ass got kicked around the whole level :D (BTW: I was playing Ego shooters for years before...) So I had decided to train my skills first in Singleplayer Mode with some bots. If you're able to beat the bots everytime on medium skill you may join the servers and maybe you'll win some games :wink:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu May 01, 2008 1:39 am

Hellrider wrote:
Pardner wrote:I might be inclined to feel intimidated to join a "pro-server".

Hey Pardner...I think you're just kidding. You are currently one of the best players. :wink:

Yes of course, I am always looking forward to playing in tough competition, but If I were a noob, I would be less inclined to join a "pro-server" instead of a "normal" server. Hehe, I have to really watch myself when I'm playing new players. I try to welcome them to the western frontier ;)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Thu May 01, 2008 1:48 am

Pardner wrote:Yes of course, I am always looking forward to playing in tough competition, but If I were a noob, I would be less inclined to join a "pro-server" instead of a "normal" server. Hehe, I have to really watch myself when I'm playing new players. I try to welcome them to the western frontier ;)

OH...I think I was misunderstanding you :roll:

Sure, you're right....For a newbie it would be very hard to play against you. I'm feeling the same way when playing against new players :|

@all newbies: Spectate the pro gamers like Pardner,Stuffstohl,Chilli etc. Maybe you learn some tricks. That helped me lot how to learn to play wq3/smokin guns :wink:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Next

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel