With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

smoke

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:33 pm

A few days ago I was going to report how my old p4 computer worked with Alamo, which wasn't too bad, but low fps, but then my computer power supply smoked the p4! :( So I'm waiting for a new machine. Should make a difference! :D 8) (Using wifes computer right now).
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Hahaha !
So I have melted your computer, sorry for that 8)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Re: smoke

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:19 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:So I'm waiting for a new machine. Should make a difference!

I'd call it a stroke of luck! Pretty amazing how much faster & cheaper pc's are these days. :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Well, I can't afford a monster, but a dual core 2.6 is probably 4 times faster than my old p4!? :D I should be able to at least beat the Alamo bots! :lol:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

computer

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Well, I got my computer, and it seems much faster. Of course it came with Vista. Sooo, there are things I have to figure out. Monster browser takes a year to load, and then won't let you join (some debug error). My Smoking guns is running, but it is really dark. Can hardly see anything. I have the game light way up, too. The Vid card is Nvidia GeForce 9500 gs, 512, so it looks great in AoE, for example. But I can't figure how to get Smokin back up where it belongs. Ideas?? Anyway, I working on it! :)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:46 pm

New monitor too? Need more info.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:06 am

No, same monitor, 22" iiyama crt flatscreen. The website right now for example, looks great, but maybe it has to do with the opengl that the game uses? (I'm not a genius on this area).
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 am

I'm guessing you're are using newer drivers. That's probably it. Try different sets of graphics drivers. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 pm

What error did you get with Monster Browser? Unfortunately, I don't have Vista, so I have no idea if MB will run on that.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:41 pm

For the Monster Browser problem, try running it in win XP compatibility mode.

# Right click the executable (exe) and click the Properties option.
# Select the Compatibility tab.
# Select the "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode" option.
# From the drop-down list, choose windows XP
# If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administration.
# Click OK.

Your other problem is most likely ,as Red said, a driver problem. Make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers though (download them directly from their site).

Does Vanilla Quake 3 run ok?

What monitor are you using? LCD or CRT.

It could also be a resolution problem. Make sure the game is set to your monitors native resolution.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 pm

OK, thanks for the help! The "run in xp mode" option worked for the game itself! So it was a Vista problem. Darkness gone. I'm back! But Monster browser seems to be blocked, even in xp mode, but something in Vista. It only gets Juvineaux and the Austrian server, and then says "create process A, returned 0" . Some Vista message?? At least I can see to type in the servers now! :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Yeah, some older (openGL) games are a dog on vista. I should have told you try it in compat mode, doh.. But you were on the ball. My Vista box doesn't have that problem but I did have that issue on my XP box with 2 nvidia in SLI and it was caused by the resolution.. lol *Shrugs*

Not sure what else could be the problem with MB. I will install and see what happens on my box.

**EDIT** Is your Vista 64 bit? Mine is and MB won't run on it at all, even in 32bit compat mode... lol
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:08 am

Haha, I probably wouldn't have tried the compat. mode so soon if you hadn't mentioned it! Thanks. Funny that your Vista 64 won't run it at all. Mine shows the program, but that's about it. I may try to put my xp os in here in dual boot. (If it will work). :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby L3th4l » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:18 am

Yup, dual booting XP and vista works fine. I did that when I first switched this box to Vista to make sure all my hardware and programs worked in Vista.

Here is a good tutorial on how to do it with Vista already installed

Click Me
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 am

I have to say L3th, I have been emailing, chatting, and on the phone for two days with Microsoft, Nvidia, & HP, none of which seemed to know doodle about their products. Then, and I have seen this many times on this website with others too, my friends from the global collection of geniuses that are Smokin Guns, comes up with solutions! That sure is one nice extra, for playing this game! Thanks!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Next

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel