With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Another Western conversion is upon us...

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:38 pm

This one is for Return to Castle Wolfenstein and is supposed to be available for download by sometime tomorrow. I didn't know about this until today. Being a western fan, I will surely have to download it to see what their mod is like. :wink: If you have RTCW, it might be worth looking into.

You can check it out here ---> http://the-wildwest.co.uk/

I should add that even if it is very good, I will always play WQ3 FOREVER!!! There is no substitute! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby General Tso » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:43 pm

I played BoltyBoy's RTCW old west map and it was pretty good. At the time it was just a map and skins for the regular RTCW game. His bank looks pretty familiar too :).

I'm a little non-plussed by what I'm seeing weapons wise. A "handheld gatling prototype" doesn't do much for me and I've thought it's been something that's ruined most previous western games (like wanted HL) and a Harpers Ferry musket is about 20-30 years out of date (why not use a Sharps, a Remington Rolling block or a Trapdoor Springfield???).

I'll probably download the conversion and give it a look though. The map and skins quality was quite good on his other release.
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby Lixus » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:51 pm

wow, some mapshots look quite impressive i think... the "mine-map" ones are great...
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby General Tso » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:23 pm

Yeah, they did a nice job. I mentioned the conversion to my LAN group and at least a couple of the guys sounded game to try it in addition to the usual stuff.
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby Lixus » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:12 pm

btw: i just read your "will future game engines crush older ones" article at bjorn3d, tso... nice job on it, it is something i thought about just a few days ago.. ;) i think wq3 will make the q3 engine immortal ;)
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby General Tso » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:56 pm

That's what I was thinking too :wink:

Scott (our site manager at Bjorn) was pretty amusing. He's always got a top, top end machine and pretty much only plays the absolute cutting edge games so he just couldn't possibly see how anyone would still be playing anything on the HL or Q3 engines with UT2K3 out and Doom 3 coming next year.

While I'm sure they'll have large followings there's still a heck of a lot being done with "older" engines and some great games coming out.
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:27 am

Yeah, TSO. I tried the map and skins back when they first came out as well. I thought the map had some good ideas in it. It will be interesting to see how this mod stacks up against WQ3 2.0 :) I believe each will have their good points. Their weapon models in the screenshots don't look very impressive when compared to the detail of WQ3's weapon models and I seriously doubt there will be any cool theme music like we have here. The more advanced game engine will surely give them a boost in other areas though. So you play RTCW, huh? What name do you go by? I usually play as Red Neckerson or =NK=NastyEdwin. Maybe I'll see you on a server in the near future. Stop by our site and look around sometime. 8) http://urnso.dyndns.org/napalmkillers/
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby General Tso » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:40 am

I haven't played online at all so far! The vast bulk of my multiplayer time is with my local LAN group. Partially due to time constraints and partially because I prefer playing on a LAN with guys I know.

You don't have to worryy about cheating on a LAN (at least not amongst your buddies anyway) and most of them are as old and decrepid as me so I actually stand a chance (some anyway) against them ;).
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby Lixus » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:22 pm

hmmm that the mod is for rtcw is the worst thing about it i think.. ;) i dont have it... :(
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby General Tso » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:11 pm

RTCW isn't bad. I haven't played a single player FPS in ages but my buddies all really liked it.

It's a nice engine though. Essentially justed a tweaked Q3 platform but I guess it does have some advances. Similar to what they did with Medal of Honor.

Multiplayer is fun and the classes add some interest to things. I actually prefer the look and feel of Medal of Honor over RTCW but the class thing (sorta like TFC) is a plus for gameplay considerations.
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:01 am

Well, I tried the Wild West mod for RTCW and I have to say it is not as good as I had hoped. WQ3 has it beat by a mile. 8)

Tso, half of the guys in my clan are in their 30's. Our oldest is 42! You may not be as old as you think. :wink: I just turned 36 this month. :roll:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:04 am

That sounds about like the demographic of our LAN group as well!
General Tso
Iron Claw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:07 am

Heh, heh. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :lol:

BTW, read your article yesterday. It was a good read. You made a lot of good arguments. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:22 am

Thanks!

It was sort of a culmination of a few discussions plus random thoughts that I decided to put to paper :).
General Tso
Iron Claw

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel