With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Min System Requirements?

Postby BringIt » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:28 am

I was wondering what would be minimum system requirements for this mod if I was playing it 800X600 with medium detail and lightmaping...

The reason I'm curious about this is that it seems like the mod requires more than waht Quake 3 needs and I'm trying to lan this with a couple of older computers....

Thanks

BTW, AWESOME MOD!!!! I can't tell you how much fun this mod has been to play. You guys have done an awesome job!!!!
BringIt
Newcomer

Postby Drakhon » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:47 am

The requirements will be a little higher than those of Q3.
I can't tell you how much higher, as this depends primarily on the map you are playing.
I think the majority of the maps will be playable on older machines (what do you call an older machine?). But there may be some maps (ElPaso for example) that have huge open areas, and to play those, you probably need to reduce details or the ressolution.

I can tell you what I have, but that probably won't help much.
I have an AMD Thunderbird 900Mhz, a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and 768mb of SD-Ram
I run wq3 on 1024.x768 with everything set to maximum, and I don't have a problem with any of our maps. But we have guys with weaker machines running wq3 as well.
Drakhon
Iron Claw

Postby BringIt » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:57 pm

What I mean by older computer is the following:

AMD K6-2 400
256 MB SDRAM PC100
3dfx Voodoo3 2000

At 600x480, it runs Quake 3 fine and most of Western Quake 3 beta 1.2 with the exception of the last map on the list. I was just wondering if beta 2 has even larger areas or more complex textures.

I have a feeling it's time to upgrade it, just been holding off because for that lan I'm having to upgrade 3 computers and none of them are my machine, it's only there as a WQ3 LAN. The other machines are at least a Duron 800, and I have Zero issues with any of the other machines.

Again, this MOD is great! And thank you for giving me the specs of the system you run. If anyone out there is still using an AMD K6-2 with more success because of simply a video card difference, please leave a post.
BringIt
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:31 pm

I used to have a Pentium2 400mhz machine with a 16mb voodoo banshee in it. It struggled with WQ3 1.2 on certain maps untill I got the original 32mb geforce ddr card. It ran a lot better but I can tell you that I doubt that rig would be very good for the next release of WQ3. I still have that geforce in a spare rig but it is now paired with a 1.53 ghz athlon xp and it runs the beta test quite nicely. A faster cpu and vid card would make a heck of a difference for you. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your entire pc when you are able to! :wink: If your stuck with what you have then all you can do is try the next version when it comes out. I'll bet my paycheck the frame rates will be way too low for you to enjoy it fully, even at the lowest settings. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby newbified » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:38 pm

I have a 945MHz Duron, 32MB GeForce2 MX-100/200, 256sdram and beta 1.2 didn't have any problems on my system that I know of..it ran just about as well as q2 did :)
newbified
Drifter

Postby BringIt » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:48 pm

Thank you for all your input, it helped a great deal in determining how much I needed to upgrade the systems by. I went ahead and put together a low cost Athlon 1200 with a ATI 8500 LE, still need to load the OS and Quake 3, but I think the problem will be solved at this point. The other two systems on the lan are Duron 800s, one with a Radeon VE 32MB, the other with a Geforce 2MX, all systems have 256 MB of RAM.
BringIt
Newcomer

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel