With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

About VoIP feature

Postby Tequila » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am

dbozan99 wrote:While a UI place to modify OpenAL parameters would be nice, this still doesn't solve the Molotov fire sound problem...

Also, while I'm posting, I may as well bring up some other issues...
1. Talking with VoIP doesn't show who's talking. (No name in HUD)

2. VoIP seems really quite no matter what

3. You can't pick which Input you want to use for VoIP. I use a USB mic because my sound card's mic port seems to be broken...

4. (Untested) Is VoIP alltalk? or is it teams only? Is there a cvar for it? because I would hope it defaults to teams only (sv_alltalk 0)

You should see a voip-readme.txt file in your installation folder if you got the beta archive from full archive or partial one from SourceForge. If you don't have it, you can see it directly online: voip-readme.txt
This file should contain most response to your questions:
1. Exact, this is not implemented. Such stuff should be a game part stuff and I think we should add that as a new feature.
2. I didn't test. But what is quite ? What you receive or what you send ?
3. This is not Smokin'Guns game related. You should be able to select which input you use for input sound in your system. I agree this part is not intuitive and it's sometime very difficult to find the right parameters. Do you use VoIP in another way with your other device ? For example, I know Skype can permit you to select the device, but this is not possible in SG & ioQ3, so it just takes the default one set in the system.
4. By default it is alltalk. There are console command to mute/unmute all, ignore/unignore any client, tune the gain for a given client. Check the voip-readme.txt for the commands you can bind to key for example. Check also the cl_voipSendTarget cvar you can use. Btw the cvar you be handled by the game and we should improve something here... But this is still not a high priority. But I'm glad to find someone interedted ;)

I'll add some tickets as feature requests to enhance UI arouns VoIP to be able to use any native VoIP command.

Any good suggestions are welcome here. (Contributions are very welcome btw :P)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions :) (I saw 5 in the other post too)

I will be sure to check out the voip-readme but before I do, I just remembered that in the VoIP configuration, there is an option to turn VoIP on and off, and no matter what I do, it always seems to be off whenever I start the game.
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 am

From the voip-readme.txt:
Code: Select all
You currently must use OpenAL to speak, as we have ALC_EXT_capture support
in place to pull data from the microphone. If you are using the SDL backend,
you can still hear people, but not speak.

Is that an explanation ?
Check the s_useOpenAL cvar, it must be set to 1 for VoIP.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:52 pm

I have s_useOpenAL set to 1, it defaults to 1 anyway. but the use VoIP yes/no thing in the options always seems to be off every time I start SG, I have to manually turn it on every time and I don't know why....
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 am

Weird, are you talking about the main system menu about VoIP ? If yes, can you reproduce here your console output during the game start ?
Tequila
SG Team

Re: About VoIP feature

Postby Tequila » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:31 pm

dbozan99 wrote:Also, while I'm posting, I may as well bring up some other issues...
1. Talking with VoIP doesn't show who's talking. (No name in HUD)

I just committed a import of that feature available in Tremfusion. I want to thanks Mercury for the original code, and of course Amanieu who reworked it a little. I of course reworked it a little to match Smokin' Guns code. I would like also to point you to their very good VoIP wiki page: VoIP Setup Guide

About point 2, "VoIP seems really quite no matter what", it seems Tremfusion has implemented a feature for this, check cl_voipDefaultGain cvar in their VoIP Setup Guide. If you think that can help, I'll also import it as it seems really simple.

But please, wait the next v1.1b2 engine to test it... It's a matter of days now to be released.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 am

sweet! sounds good!
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 pm

New v1.1b2 has some new UI options to show VoIP senders. Tell me what you think when you'll have tried them.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby jillmason7 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:05 am

Tequila wrote:From the voip-readme.txt:
Code: Select all
You currently must use OpenAL to speak, as we have ALC_EXT_capture support
in place to pull data from the microphone. If you are using the SDL backend,
you can still hear people, but not speak.

Is that an explanation ?
Check the s_useOpenAL cvar, it must be set to 1 for VoIP.

Yes! That explanation works perfectly for me. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully I can be of some help soon.

Jill
jillmason7
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:37 am

jillmason7 wrote:Yes! That explanation works perfectly for me. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully I can be of some help soon.

Jill

Welcome to our forum jillmason7 !

I would be happy to know what you feel about this feature. We really need good feedback about integrated VoIP.

Of course, we will help you as we can.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel