With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Rotoscope for next beta release

Postby Tequila » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm

8O
And yes, I've almost finished to import and adapt the patch proposed on ioQ3 enhancement request #3422 to support few graphic effects like Rotoscope and Bloom thanks to frame buffer object support in OpenGL.

Of course, you'll need a very good graphic card to test it, but I guarantee to not break current graphic support. Actually, I can run Alamo in 800x600 with 150 FPS thanks to a Nvidia 9400 GLX graphic card.

Some screenshots:
Check them from my MODDB profile if they aren't loaded here.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
8)

Edited: An finally I added a video demo ;)
Edited: Fixed screenshot bbcode
Last edited by Tequila on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:44 pm

looks sweet!

altough i got a few doubts about visibility of opponents (especially through windows)

any experiences on that? (or some more screenshots?)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Now that is cool! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Crank » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 pm

haha thats looking >cool< but i dont think i would play with that :?

Comic - SG :)
sorry for my english :)
Crank
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 am

:D
You may change your mind. I think rotoscope + bloom effect is pretty nice.

Btw, I firstly uploaded a quake3 demo as I'm of course sharing the patch with ioquake3.
The demo is looping with 4 different kind of settings, my preferred is the third one ;)

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

I just added a Smokin'Guns demo in the first post.
The code is also committed as r400.

sparcdr, I tried to fix the msvc project file in r401. Could you try to build it and provide the binary engine on your site ?
Thanks
8)

Then to try that rendering modes, you'll have to open a console and set few cvar manually (I'll try to add UI stuff for that in next beta release):
1. set r_ext_framebuffer to 1, this is to enable the FrameBuffer rendering. This is the FBO base.
2. to test rotoscope rendering, you have 2 cvars: r_ext_framebuffer_rotoscope and r_ext_framebuffer_zedge. The second cvar is an option for the rotoscope effect itself: edge will be detected using the z-buffer.
3. to test bloom effect, you can set r_ext_framebuffer_bloom to 1. You can use it at the same time than rotoscope effect... For the bloom effect, you can tune also few other cvar: r_ext_framebuffer_bloom_sharpness (default is 0.75), r_ext_framebuffer_bloom_brightness (default is 0.85), r_ext_framebuffer_blur_size (default is 256), r_ext_framebuffer_blur_amount (default is 7), r_ext_framebuffer_blur_samples (default is 9 and value can be 5, 7 or 9)...

I would appreciate to know your FPS related to your video card after your tests.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 pm

r401 binaries for {freebsd, linux, mac, solaris, win32} are now available and are marked current.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Tequila wrote:I just added a Smokin'Guns demo in the first post.

Now that looks really great. If the visibility of opponents is really good enough in all cases (someone sitting behind a barrel or whatever) needs to be tested. But it seems to be a really nice-looking graphic-rendering-scheme.

So looking forward to test it!

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby dbozan99 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 am

It's a real-time effect dude. The picture is drawn into the frame-buffer, manipulated to look different, then drawn. You will never be able to see any more or any less than before (other than the fact that it may get blurred).
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Harlock » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

WOW! I think this is a great idea! It would set SG apart from other games/mods and would also mask some of the models' and textures' shortcomings (not that they are bad). If only the contrasts could be a little more pronounced for visibility's sake, it would be almost perfect.
Harlock
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm

dbozan99 wrote:It's a real-time effect dude. The picture is drawn into the frame-buffer, manipulated to look different, then drawn. You will never be able to see any more or any less than before (other than the fact that it may get blurred).

What a clever comment. Try setting r_gamma 0.1 and reread your own post after. Hope you notice then that graphic-settings influence graphics (wow - that's enlighting!). Which basically means, graphic-settings influence visibility of objects (amazing 8O).

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel