With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Before next beta release

Postby Tequila » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Hello,

I want to have better feedback before planning definitively the next v1.1b3 beta release.

So you beta-tester who tried v1.1b2 release, can you tell us what do you think about the current beta ?
Did you find enhancement you wished ?
How do you generally feel about this new engine ?
Resume also what you still would see in the next release.

In your answer, remind on which platform your tested the beta engine and how much time.

Thanks a lot.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:55 pm

I feel bad, I have not had time to test 1.1b2. I only have a few comments:

-The mouse change did not seem to affect me very much, but again, I have not had time to join the beta server and play.

-1.1b1 had very poor sound settings for me. I did not play around with the settings to find optimal settings, nor did I test this in 1.1b2

I can say that r401 binaries run very well on my vista laptop:
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3004MB RAM
Hard Drive: 149 GB
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 am

for both beta releases i didnt care for the mouse change.. although i think i can get the settings right with alot of tweaking :P
i did like the crosshair options and the sounds options would be nice if the openAL bugs could get worked out a bit (i played mostly with the openAL disabled)

the binaries run well except that sometimes if im playing on a 1.0 server the game will quit as if i typed /quit (this happens in the middle of playing and i assume it has something to do with a 1.1 client playing on a 1.0 server)

the new colors seemed pretty cool :)

Laptop:
AMD Turion64 x 2 1.6GHz
RAM: 2GB
Hard Drive: 120GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce Go 6150
Sound Card: Conexant High Definition Audio
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 am

I like the second beta. I have not played online, but didn't get any problems with my XP machine. The Train map stuttering is fixed, which was my main concern.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:11 am

I have had a chance to play the beta2 a bit, and it's great! I still can't seem to tweak out the occasional stuttering sound, and talking on the supporting servers skips and is really quiet, whatever we tried. Too far away? Anyway, other than sound issues, it's playing well!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby CoolHand » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 am

I've had VERY good luck with the second beta.... Good job guys :)
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby mLy! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:10 pm

There are still some small things that needs to be added to the next release:

- option to disable mapvoting (by vote also)
- Stopwatch mode in BR: Team A plays objective in time XX, team B has to do objecive better than time XX
-Swap teams vote
-Shuffle teams vote
-players stay in a team after the server switches maps.

-some admin tools like place player in spec/other team
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm

mLy! wrote:There are still some small things that needs to be added to the next release: - option to disable mapvoting (by vote also)
- Stopwatch mode in BR: Team A plays objective in time XX, team B has to do objecive better than time XX
-Swap teams vote
-Shuffle teams vote
-players stay in a team after the server switches maps.
-some admin tools like place player in spec/other team

Those are really feature requests and don't need to be added to the next release. Yes they are all very verry good ideas, but I think maybe you missed the point of the betas. Tequila has backported the engine to the IoQ3 engine. That is the concentration of the beta. Yes along the way, many old bugs were squashed and a few new features have been added, but I think this release was initially intended to be an update only patch. Tequila's work made the mappers feel guilty so you are getting a few map updates. There is already talk among the dev about what 1.2 is going to be like. That might be the time to request features.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

That makes no sense at all. The features are what makes a game, nobody will notice the change of engine but extra features is what everybody is asking for.

Besides, these features should be very easy to implement and can probably make it in the 1.1 release.
Delibratly postponing these things to ANOTHER update makes no sense and complicates things.

Pardner wrote:
Those are really feature requests and don't need to be added to the next release. Yes they are all very verry good ideas, but I think maybe you missed the point of the betas. Tequila has backported the engine to the IoQ3 engine. That is the concentration of the beta. Yes along the way, many old bugs were squashed and a few new features have been added, but I think this release was initially intended to be an update only patch. Tequila's work made the mappers feel guilty so you are getting a few map updates. There is already talk among the dev about what 1.2 is going to be like. That might be the time to request features.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:11 pm

mLy! wrote:Delibratly postponing these things to ANOTHER update makes no sense and complicates things.
Putting numberless untestet features into a new and untested version of the game makes things complicated, at least for the developers.
Let's do things step by step and have the current features working 100%.

mLy! wrote:-players stay in a team after the server switches maps.
SG has this already, there is a cvar called g_teamAutoJoin iirc.

mLy! wrote:- option to disable mapvoting (by vote also)
It might be obvious, but you should not be able to re-enable them by voting, otherwise the whole voting possibility on this feature is somewhat useless. But since there might be a time when there is only one player one the server which decides to disable it, there would be no way to re-enable it.

mLy! wrote:-Shuffle teams vote
I think player stats should be considered when doing this, if possible. Shuffling should even teams in number and strength.

mLy! wrote:-Swap teams vote
What's the purpose of this? It doesn't even the teams like shuffling does. In BR there is an option where teams would always be shuffled.

Anyways, shuffling and swapping teams should only be done at the end of the round, shouldn't it? If not, do players keep their equipment?

mLy! wrote:-some admin tools like place player in spec/other team
SG has this aswell;
Code: Select all
forceteam <player> <team>

mLy! wrote:- Stopwatch mode in BR: Team A plays objective in time XX, team B has to do objecive better than time XX
Do you mean bank robbery mode where both teams have to rob the bank?
Or are objectives meant to be different for each team? Is this a hint at the current timeout bug (which has been fixed [with some cvar] iirc)?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby moRtem » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm

mLy! wrote:The features are what makes a game, nobody will notice the change of engine but extra features is what everybody is asking for.

Actually a lot of bugs got fixed in 1.1 (like the spawn-bug e.g.). Additionally we got a couple of new features, thanks to being moved to ioq3.

So i guess 1.1 brings enough goodies to be released the way it is getting tested now.

Putting numberless untestet features into a new and untested version of the game makes things complicated, at least for the developers.

Mmm - since 1.1 is a big milestone, i think in this special case it's really smarter to test this update accordingly before adding new features.
But at the same time i have to say, usually version-updates ain't causing such a big impact into the source-code as 1.1 does, and therefor features like mLy suggested should be possible to be added anytime.

[quote=mLy!]
-Shuffle teams vote

I think player stats should be considered when doing this, if possible. Shuffling should even teams in number and strength.[/quote]

Additionally there should be a server-side option which, when enabled, disallows someone unbalancing the team (by joining Team A when Team B has 1 or more players less already)

[quote=mLy!]

Do you mean bank robbery mode where both teams have to rob the bank?
Or are objectives meant to be different for each team? Is this a hint at the current timeout bug (which has been fixed [with some cvar] iirc)?[/quote]

He means "Stopwatch-mode" (popular in ET) -- taken from wikipedia: "In Stopwatch Mode (most common for locked or LAN servers) two teams – most common setups: 6vs6 or 3vs3 – will play the same map twice, once in each side and the winner is determined of who have the fastest offense (it can be a tie when both teams defense manage to keep the offense from completing the objectives until time runs out)."

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm

moRtem wrote:Additionally there should be a server-side option which, when enabled, disallows someone unbalancing the team (by joining Team A when Team B has 1 or more players less already)

Should be g_teamForceBalance.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby mLy! » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 am

Where do i say it has to be implemented untested? I am saying i should be added to next beta :s

Besides, these features dont really needs much testing tbh, i dont see how these features can make things complicated, they are in pretty much every game

/dev/random wrote: Putting numberless untestet features into a new and untested version of the game makes things complicated, at least for the developers.

And for shuffling, player stats don't need to be considered, just a random shuffle will moslty be enough
Last edited by mLy! on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:55 am

/dev/random wrote:
moRtem wrote:Additionally there should be a server-side option which, when enabled, disallows someone unbalancing the team (by joining Team A when Team B has 1 or more players less already)

Should be g_teamForceBalance.

that command is bugged, doesnt work properly

/dev/random wrote:
mLy! wrote:-some admin tools like place player in spec/other team
SG has this aswell;
Code: Select all
forceteam <player> <team>

You know how long it takes to type some players nicknames? It doesn't work with client numbers?
Last edited by mLy! on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:07 am

To rephrase Pardner a bit, it's up to the coders if they think they have enough time for it. Atm, I don't know if they do since we hope to release the official 1.1 version sometime in January. But we also hope to release 1.2 a few months later which should have some new content. So if your desires aren't met in 1.1, maybe you'll see something in 1.2?
Try to understand that just because you can't see us working, doesn't mean we aren't.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel