With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Bringing in maps from other games.

Postby mLy! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:17 pm

An easy way to get new maps is by just taking them from other games.
Ofcourse they have to be suited for SG.

I have found the Soldier of Fortune 2d CTF gameplay very similar to the SG BR gameplay, and have been thinking about the maps. And imo some maps seem perfect for SG BR mode.
Some maps could use some change in looks, but one map even allready looks like it is an SG map.

But for most maps a little change like some different buildings, or some SG crates and barrels instead of bushes etc are enough.

This way a mapper could make 3,4,5 new maps with a couple hours(?) work.

These maps are proven to be balanced and they might add something new/extra to SG BR. Also because they only have one spot for the Gold, not 2 like in the existing BR maps
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:12 pm

I suppose that's a great idea as long as those maps are open-source. I'm not aware of what's the usual license for maps in quake-like games. Is it mostly open-source or rather closed? Every map in SG in closed, right?

Moreover, how about not sticking only to the old west theme? I just wonder how much fun would we get playing SG on slightly modified futuristic or fantasy themed maps. We could call it "Space Cowboys" edition or even maybe it'd be good idea for the first mod of SG 8)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes only opensource & free maps can be tuned to work with SG. Unless map sources are gift to a good SG mapper at the condition its license is preserved.

Btw I like this idea of "Space Cowboys" mod.
Maybe you know the Firefly TV series, this series could give you some good inspirations ;)

(And to be honest I watched that series after EvilFutsin has told about in that Reviving western thread)

I would really like to find a "Malcom" model then ;)
Yep, I really liked this series.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I know its not allowed, but taking maps from a game released in 2003 into a mod that 50 people play daily isn't going to cause any problems imo.

Besides, you dont have to copy them 100 %. Its just the 'general lay out' that can be used to make a balanced map with good spawn points and good location for the gold
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Like mLy! said, you could just copy the layout. I don't think this can be preserved by copyright, since it is too generic. It would be fairspoken to ask the original author first, but should not be needed.
Rough map sources could be gained by re-converting the .bsp into .map.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Re: Bringing in maps from other games.

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

mLy! wrote:This way a mapper could make 3,4,5 new maps with a couple hours(?) work.

Uhhhh... IF you already had the original .map file, the scale matches, & didn't have to retexture, then maybe 2 hrs per map. (With full permission from the map owner of course.)
To recreate an entire map from scratch (ie. similar layout) is anything but quick work.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:02 am

Well the maps are availeble for free download, if any mapper is intersted to port these to SG and change some textures I can give the names of the maps I think would be very suited for SG.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Free download does not mean free to modify it or free to pack it into another game.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Tequila wrote:Btw I like this idea of "Space Cowboys" mod.
Maybe you know the Firefly TV series, this series could give you some good inspirations ;)

(And to be honest I watched that series after EvilFutsin has told about in that Reviving western thread)

I would really like to find a "Malcom" model then ;)
Yep, I really liked this series.

I just watched the first episode and tbh am not going to see more. It's just too... hmm... teenagers targeted i think ;)

You probably already saw this game, but if not take a look at the work these guys are doing: Warm Gun seems to be a western-like game in post-apocalyptic sceneries. It's very interesting and i wonder what kind of gameplay will we have there. Just take a look at the videos:
http://www.moddb.com/games/warm-gun/videos/red-river-canyon-level-fly-through#imagebox
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Twig » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the link Dowoshek! I don't really follow moddb or any other similar sites but that game looks pretty amazing. I've always liked post-apocalyptic sceneries and having a western/steampunk feel to it.. looks very original. Will have to keep an eye out :)
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel