With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Feedback after our late night testing session (1.1b3)

Postby mLy! » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:03 pm

• The most annoying thing in 1.1b3 for me is the mouse input lag. I think I had it in 1.1b2 aswell, because something felt weir there but i never tested with real players.

When I click to shoot, it takes like one second before SG reacts.
    I don't have this in 1.0.
  • The weapon damange/range drop is seriously bugged. Sometimes standing right next to a player gives a drop to 60 %. Other players also reported this yesterday. I had it with different guns, like colt pistol and rifle, winch shotgun etc. I think Barto had it with sharps even.
  • The shotgun spread should not be reduced, put these back to 1.0 values please
  • Rifles are still useless imo. Somehow the crosshair is 'off' I cannot explain it, but aiming with the rifles is really hard for me.
  • Sharps and winchester shotgun need damage increase. I needed 6 hits once to kill someone with winch shotgun. Surely this is NOT supposed to be for a 33$ gun.
    And the Sharps should be 1 hit 1 kill weapon, now it just depends on wich random hitbox you get :p
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Twig » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:11 pm

I know exactly what you mean by the mouse input lag. My first beta so i don't know what it was like earlier but it gave me serious problems as far as enjoying the game. I wasn't lagging or anything but it just didn't seem to run smooth. For me this problem was fixed by installing a some updates and VC++ 2005 microsoft redistributable like Harmoniusz had also done.

edit:sorry misread the winchester shotgun part.
Last edited by Twig on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:51 pm

I was having so many connection problems that I feel I can't make any judgements about last nights test. :|
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:17 am

@mLy: ive also had the mouse lag thing. it is probably due to 1.1 using SDL mouse input now instead of Direct Input. also, i totally agree about the sharps and winchester shotgun somehow having less damage than they had in 1.0 8O

when i tested the rifles it seemed that they did have slightly more damage. the accuracy seemed about the same as 1.0 so not too much more accurate. the shotguns spread did seem kind of weird as in i couldnt hit with a sawedoff sometimes. i tested this on a wall and saw that the spread seemed about the same except i think the patterns were more randomized than 1.0.
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 am

Is it to you also, that th connection to servers takes annoying long?
And eerytime the map changes i get an error and got to connect new. :?
Also when i first load a map it doesnt reacts at 'awaiting shotplace'(or whatever, this thing that cames last when connecting :D ).
So i got to load every map twice :?
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Tequila » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Juaro Juarez wrote:Is it to you also, that th connection to servers takes annoying long?

About connection problems, I don't know how it's possible but some guys forgot to renew "smokin-guns.org" domain... :P Then as the client checks for "update.smokin-guns.org" and "authorize.smokin-guns.org", it tries 3 times then goes on... That's the same on the server side as it checks for authorization from "authorize.smokin-guns.org" server...

mLy! wrote:The most annoying thing in 1.1b3 for me is the mouse input lag. I think I had it in 1.1b2 aswell, because something felt weir there but i never tested with real players.

Have you read the Mouse Sensitivity thread ? What are your settings ? What is your SDL dll version (assuming you're under windows) ? Don't forget to check "in_mouse" cvar value.
There seems to have few issues with SDL and I know Tim Angus from ioQuake3 team got some fixes applied on SDL trunk concerning that issues... Btw I still don't know when official SDL with that fixes will be available.
Tell us if this is better with Tim Angus SDL.dll custom build. Thanks in advance ;)

About my own feedback, that was the first time since a long time I played more than 20 minutes... I played next to 3 hours.

I liked the BR Lake and BR train gameplay.
I don't play enough to really feel problems with mouse input but I really care about your feedback for that.

It seems we got problems when few guys tried integrated VoIP. I really don't what was wrong and I really don't know if you, VoIP enabled guys, was able to hear something nice. Did you see there's a new setting in VoIP UI (next to the bottom) to set a default gain on VoIP voices only ? Did you try it ?

Finally I really took fun, thanks guys 8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:40 pm

YOu will have even more fun now as i ask " HE, what shall i do now" ? :D
And sadly, i mean this serious :?
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: Feedback after our late night testing session (1.1b3)

Postby moRtem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:25 pm

mLy! wrote:[*] Rifles are still useless imo. Somehow the crosshair is 'off' I cannot explain it, but aiming with the rifles is really hard for me.

that's basically the reason why i never use rifles -- especially colt-lightning and winchester rifle got a really weird handling. It feels like they aren't real insta-hit-weapons for some reason.

And the Sharps should be 1 hit 1 kill weapon, now it just depends on wich random hitbox you get :p

I think sharp's damage is fine. Probably disabling spread would fix the "depends on which random hitbox you got".

About connection problems, I don't know how it's possible but some guys forgot to renew "smokin-guns.org" domain... Razz Then as the client checks for "update.smokin-guns.org" and "authorize.smokin-guns.org", it tries 3 times then goes on... That's the same on the server side as it checks for authorization from "authorize.smokin-guns.org" server...

The connecting to a server takes really ages with 1.1 -- i am never able to participate in first round of a game, since i always connect after the new game started already

I liked the BR Lake and BR train gameplay.

I need to try BR on lake -- and i probably need to get more experience on BR Train, but as a first impression, BR Train needs some tweaking to get the teams balanced.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Re: Feedback after our late night testing session (1.1b3)

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm

moRtem wrote:
Tequila wrote:About connection problems, I don't know how it's possible but some guys forgot to renew "smokin-guns.org" domain... Razz Then as the client checks for "update.smokin-guns.org" and "authorize.smokin-guns.org", it tries 3 times then goes on... That's the same on the server side as it checks for authorization from "authorize.smokin-guns.org" server...

The connecting to a server takes really ages with 1.1 -- i am never able to participate in first round of a game, since i always connect after the new game started already

:? like Tequila said, that will be fixed at soon as smokin-guns.org comes back. Right now, the client/server is trying to check a web server that doesn't exist.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Ahhh, HiHi so i missunderstood Teqila? :D
I thought he was laughing at me i forgot the renew sth ;D .
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:43 pm

No no no, :lol: Tequila was making an inside joke at the expense of the other dev mambers :roll: . smokin-guns.org should be back up soon ( I think )
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Ahkay. ;D
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby moRtem » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Tequila wrote:
Juaro Juarez wrote:Is it to you also, that th connection to servers takes annoying long?

About connection problems, I don't know how it's possible but some guys forgot to renew "smokin-guns.org" domain... :P Then as the client checks for "update.smokin-guns.org" and "authorize.smokin-guns.org", it tries 3 times then goes on... That's the same on the server side as it checks for authorization from "authorize.smokin-guns.org" server...

just for the note: i don't think this is the real connection-problem, altough it takes a few moments for Q3-engine to recognize that those domains are not working.

This procedure is basically done when "AWAITING GAMESTATE" disappears from the client's screen (which doesn't take long).

The rest of the loading is usually pretty normal, with the exception of the "Loading... PLAYERNAME" (which is the last step before "Loading Snapshot") -- the loading of the playername's feels to take ages often in 1.1 (no matter which beta)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:58 am

You may be right moRtem. I noticed today the lagometer was not nice on the server we used even being the only connected guy... I restarted the server and the lagometer looked good after that.

I still prepared the availability to show the lagometer ingame for the next beta:
That was something I wanted since a long time, but with possible network problems we really need this tools for next beta release.

Btw can you connect again to the BR-Only server and tell if server seems better after a restart ?

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:44 am

Tequila wrote:I restarted the server and the lagometer looked good after that.

Basically Quake3 seems to have problems with servers which are online 24/7 (after some time, they start to show weird behaviour and bugs .. including problems which you'll also notice in lagometer). That's why serverhosters usually automatically restart Q3-servers sometime in the middle of the night (02:00 AM or 03:00 AM).
In case you are not doing this already, i would suggest you to set up such a script for your servers.

I still prepared the availability to show the lagometer ingame for the next beta:

Ah - that's nice -- until now i am forced to watch the scoreboard to see it.

Btw can you connect again to the BR-Only server and tell if server seems better after a restart ?

Ping itself is 'fine' (a bit high, but not abnormal) -- upper line is blue, with little to medium yellow spikes every few snaps

---

Blubb: I suppose the problem while connecting and the problem with connectivity-issues once you are connected are two totally seperate issues, since the first also occurs when connecting with 1.1b3 client to 1.0 server (so i suppose it's a client-side thing), while the second issue sounds like a serverside issue (probably not even related to SmokinGuns).

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel