With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Console-opening needs two key-presses

Postby moRtem » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 am

I personally don't have that issue, but a couple of players reported me, that with 1.1b3 they need to hit ^ (or ~) twice to get the console opened.

Is this a "feature" of ioq3 that can be disabled? .. Or is it a bug?

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 am

"~" key is not bind at the same key for different languages. This is still the case I think with legacy Q3, but I can't confirm right now.

With ioQ3 based engine, you can use "cl_consolekeys" to add any key for which you wish to get the console opened.

Personnaly, for a french language keyboard, I added "0xb2" for the "²" key which is "~" key on QWERTY keyboards.

To obtain the right code, you may use the "Controls" panel, try to bind the key to any command, the UI will show you which is the key code to use.

You may search this forum for "cl_consolekeys" to check still related discussions.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 pm

To correct my first post i want to add, that i have this problem myself, but i seem to have got used to press "SHIFT and ^" together.

Like just stated, pressing "SHIFT and ^" together brings down the console immediately.

I am on Windows Vista 32 Bit. Someone else with the same problem is using Windows XP.

Tequila wrote:With ioQ3 based engine, you can use "cl_consolekeys" to add any key for which you wish to get the console opened.

I am aware of that, but the default value of cl_consolekeys should toggle the console with the mentioned caracters, but it won't work without pressing the button twice:
"~ ` 0x7e 0x60" Toggle on ~ or ` (the default)

You may search this forum for "cl_consolekeys" to check still related discussions.

Done now - an interesting comment was this one: "And if I put caps lock on, I dont even have to use shift!"

Any chance to get console working by only pressing ^ or ~ without the need of shift by default again? I think especially for new players this is helpful, since it's a q3-engine game, and in Q3 it's possible to open the console this way for 10 years already, so a lot of players are used to it by now.

From myself i know, that i get pissed a bit when i join a new game and can't find a way to open the console immediately. I suppose other console-fans got the same habit.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:00 pm

moRtem wrote:Any chance to get console working by only pressing ^ or ~ without the need of shift by default again? I think especially for new players this is helpful, since it's a q3-engine game, and in Q3 it's possible to open the console this way for 10 years already, so a lot of players are used to it by now.

From myself i know, that i get pissed a bit when i join a new game and can't find a way to open the console immediately. I suppose other console-fans got the same habit.

Hmm -- On the other hand, SHIFT + ESC is the ioquake3-way, and since ioquake3 is used with a lot of free q3-engine games (SG, OA, UrT, WoP, Tremulous, ...) it is big enough to set a standard.

After a small research i noticed that ~all~ ioq3-engine-games advice their users to open console with SHIFT + ESC. So within ioq3-engine-games there is a standard.

So you probably shouldn't bother to "fix" this.

---

On a sidenote -> What i noticed a lot lately is, that there are a lot of aspects and "problems" that lead to ioquake3 at last. The ordinary player isn't really aware that there is something called "game-engine" which is probably shared by a big number of games. This leads to have players asking the same questions in any ioq3-game. And every game that's based on ioquake3 puts up a FAQ at some point, to give answers.

Is there any thought (by SG-dev-team in cooperation with other ioq3-based games) to share one FAQ regarding those ioq3-aspects? - Probably by
a) filling the Wiki on http://www.ioquake3.com
b) redirect the game's community to that 'shared' wiki in case of ioq3-related problems.

(probably even pointing out ioquake3-wiki as first address for troubleshooting. And within ioquake3-wiki link to the ioq3-based games' FAQs if a specific answer wasn't found.)

That's just an idea that popped up. What do you think about this ?

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel