With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Postby mLy! » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:34 am

No Idea if the bug report site is still beeing used, so I will just post this here:

cg_fov is still locked (cheatprotected) in 1.1 (was supposed to be unlocked in 1.1)
It seems to be possible to change it in the main menu, but it reverts back to 90 as soon as you connect.

This has become much more important now that almost everybody has widescreen monitors :)
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am

mLy! wrote:cg_fov is still locked (cheatprotected) in 1.1 (was supposed to be unlocked in 1.1)
It seems to be possible to change it in the main menu, but it reverts back to 90 as soon as you connect.

I never heard that cg_fov is supposed to be unlocked, but being able to set cg_fov feels a bit awkward, since it gives everyone the ability to snipe with pistols e.g. .

Devs: So in case this is really in consideration, take the "being-able-to-snipe-with-every-weapon" into account too.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 am

moRtem wrote:
mLy! wrote:cg_fov is still locked (cheatprotected) in 1.1 (was supposed to be unlocked in 1.1)

I never heard that cg_fov is supposed to be unlocked, but being able to set cg_fov feels a bit awkward, since it gives everyone the ability to snipe with pistols e.g. .

Devs: So in case this is really in consideration, take the "being-able-to-snipe-with-every-weapon" into account too.

/quit

Well obviously it shoudn't be allowed lower than 90....
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:58 am

mLy! wrote:Well obviously it shoudn't be allowed lower than 90....

makes sense,

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Well,

actually, when you have a wide-screen you're seeing less stuff on top and on bottom.
This is because the FOV is computed from the horizontal screen size.

Maybe you're just claiming we can compute the FOV from the vertical size ?

Btw, having larger horizontal FOV will mean you can see movements in a larger area, maybe taking an advantage other players coming on your side but loosing accuracy on your shots... Btw as this cvar could be changed by a key binding this can be a cheat feature.

Then what do you think if we change weapon accuracy while you just used a larger FOV ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Btw can an admin move these last posts to a new thread ? I can't do it myself.

Edit by Pardner
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

What you say is not entirely correct Tequila, true widescreen does need a higher fov or it just looks ridiculous and feels so strange. Although theorecticly it it should be the same.

In other games like quake live for example if you set you resolution to a 16*9 aspect ratio your fov will automaticly change to 105, if you use a 4*3 aspect ratio it will stay at 90.

The reason I brought this up again is because I just bought myself a widescreen monitor and the fov 90 is now very annoying.

So please, its 2011, let our game have proper widesreen support and allow a proper widescreen fov.

And about it beeing cheating, wtf? Fov is unlocked in every other game there is and nowhere is it considered cheating aslong as you keep it inside normal values, like inside 90 - 120.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Tequila wrote:Then what do you think if we change weapon accuracy while you just used a larger FOV ?

Please not.

What about linking cg_fov to the r_mode setting? - So in case someone uses a widescreen-r_mode-setting, cg_fov is automatically changed accordingly.

Would prevent users from constantly switching cg_fov by binding it (in case someone got a problem with that).

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 am

Tequila wrote:Edit by Pardner

Thx Pardner
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 am

mLy! wrote:Fov is unlocked in every other game there is and nowhere is it considered cheating aslong as you keep it inside normal values, like inside 90 - 120.

Well, personnaly I would agree to "free" cg_fov cvar clamping it in such a range, and eventually adding an UI slider for that.

Any other thought ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 am

Tequila wrote:
mLy! wrote:Fov is unlocked in every other game there is and nowhere is it considered cheating aslong as you keep it inside normal values, like inside 90 - 120.

Well, personnaly I would agree to "free" cg_fov cvar clamping it in such a range, and eventually adding an UI slider for that.

Any other thought ?

If you are worried about players useing binds to change it during a game, you can probably code it so that it needs a /vid_restart and then binds wont work.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:54 pm

If you are worried about players useing binds to change it during a game, you can probably code it so that it needs a /vid_restart and then binds wont work.

I agree with that.

Also 120 give way too much advantage...
105 should be the max IMO.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel