With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Your experiences with SG 1.1 beta 5a :

It works like a charm (better than SG 1.0)
65%
It works well (as good as SG 1.0)
35%
It does not work very well (worst than SG 1.0)
No votes
It was terrible (please explain why)
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: Beta testing on 1.1 beta 5a

Postby /dev/random » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

You can compile AAS separately from your BSP file. You could use a stripped down version which just has additional botclips and use that as a base.
This way you can use the lowest graphical settings or might even be able to use a decompiled version of a map.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 am

/dev/random wrote:You can compile AAS separately from your BSP file. You could use a stripped down version which just has additional botclips and use that as a base.
This way you can use the lowest graphical settings or might even be able to use a decompiled version of a map.

Creating a stripped down version of each map is somehow less tedious? If anything, it's exponentially more work. The only reason SimonOC went through that trouble for his level is stated in the link.
My offer to compile stands, but I don't have the time to do the brush work. :cry:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:21 pm

We spent good two hours yesterday on 1.1b5 Circus, playing through new maps and it was generally very good experience, maps don't seem that bad when you get used to them, the new admin options are amazing. We should get this out sometime soon.

While at it, I made a couple of notes to share with the class.

1. Bots are broken on br_warehouse_mini, keep re-initializing AI indefinitely and can't join the game.
2. Lon you should move those Cacti near the defender's spawn on Tijuana, if you fall between them, you're stuck for the round and that's silly.
3. On Train the smoke coming from the engine seems to be missing some texture (displays as flame in the middle instead), can see some map's structure through it like it was no-clip.
4. Missing map cycle lists, missing maps from voting, lack of choice between br and dm maps, and lack of floor on San Juanico, you probably know about all that. I don't know if it's misconfiguration or just lacking content in the installation package.
5. Sound is still jerkish, shoot and reload Sharps in a rapid sequence, and you'll get no firing sound after a while, as reloading sound overlaps into it. If you spawn with Dynamite in hand, you sometimes hear dynamite being lit sound, it can overlap from previous round. Quality of the sound seems to be fairly poor too.
6. Door are still broken-ish on the new Alamo when you open them the wrong way, but at least they seem to not loop indefinitely, just for a while. I got the small door at the highest floor of the defender spawn to loop in open/close sequence.
7. Rifle damage is reduced close range, is this WAD? :-)
8. Ladders still have this silly bug when you just can't climb one every time you try but are pushed back instead. Tried with Alamo2 and Dawnfort ladders.

We'll be again playing today, around 20:00-ish CET time (might start earlier than that). More the merrier, if you care to come.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 pm

What is WAD?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm

torhu wrote:What is WAD?

"Where's all the data?" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=1854381) |D
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Bodie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 pm

WAD = Working As Designed. So, is it intentional that the Colt rifle reports lower damage when shooting at close range?

Also, spawn bugs are still very much in the game, I had one today on Durango together with Spaylin, was told of another on the new Train. Is that code merged that supposedly moved players and prevented spawn bugs?
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Myrmidonas » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:07 pm

i had 2 bugs too,the one was the 60 sec bug at the begining of the round(i couldnt buy anything) and the other one was that a dynamite blew up in my hands and i stayed alive.the first one was in durango and the second in alamo
Myrmidonas
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Biondo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 pm

The second bug --non-killing-dynamite-- was also in SG 1.0 (or it was 1.1b4?), I think. Watch this video, around time 1:30: http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/ugly-thursday/
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Myrmidonas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am

both of them were in 1.0
Myrmidonas
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 am

Myrmidonas wrote:I had 2 bugs too, the one was the 60 sec bug at the beginning of the round (I couldn't buy anything)

I assume, you got the message "60 seconds have passed ... you can't buy anything" and there were other players, who weren't affected. If so, the problem likely lies client-side in code/cg_consolecmds.c. There's the following code block
Code: Select all
// if it's to late to buy
if(cg.time - cg.roundstarttime > BUY_TIME && cgs.gametype >= GT_RTP){
    CG_Printf("60 seconds have passed ... you can't buy anything\n");
    return;
}

I assume, under certain circumstances, either cg.time or cg.roundstarttime do not have the intended values. However, I'm unsure why this would happen: maybe, if you join late and/or miss the map_restart. Anyway, the command cg_buy should not be affected, so a buy bind will always work. As a solution, I suggest to remove the above code block altogether. The final check, whether you may buy something or not should be done by the game VM on the server.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Bodie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Is there any way on the server side to limit client's usage of cl_timenudge, by reducing how high the nudge can be set (for example cutting it from -50 <-> 50 to -25 <-> 25 range?
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Bodie wrote:Is there any way on the server side to limit client's usage of cl_timenudge, by reducing how high the nudge can be set (for example cutting it from -50 <-> 50 to -25 <-> 25 range?

Developers and server admins discussed about it, but AFAIK, such a thing was never implemented. The easiest way would be to mark \cl_timeNudge a user variable. Those variables are visible via \dumpuser. That way, I could and would extend the banscript to enforce minimum and maximum values of \cl_timeNudge.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 pm

7. Rifle damage is reduced close range, is this WAD?

I have already seen bugs where the distance from the shooter and the target is wrong, this is probably what happened. It is not related to rifle.

Also, spawn bugs are still very much in the game, I had one today on Durango together with Spaylin, was told of another on the new Train. Is that code merged that supposedly moved players and prevented spawn bugs?

Erf... this one should have been fixed by Tequila a long time ago... Really strange you still get it, I haven't seen it in 1.1 branches for years :S

Anyway, I'm currently uploading SG 1.1 RC1 to Mod DB, it should be ready soon (Mod DB staff should validate it).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Joe Kari wrote:

Erf... this one should have been fixed by Tequila a long time ago... Really strange you still get it, I haven't seen it in 1.1 branches for years :S

I think this is a misunderstanding. What rane is referring to as spawn bugs is players beeing stuck in one another at the beginning of rounds. This has never been fixed to my knowledge, has it?
What has been fixed in 1.1 is the type of spawnbug where on player dies at the beginning of the round (... tried to invade ...'s personal space), which typically occurs when there are more than eight players in a team.

Joe Kari wrote:Anyway, I'm currently uploading SG 1.1 RC1 to Mod DB, it should be ready soon (Mod DB staff should validate it).

That is very good news. As soon as is it up i will roll it out to my server.

If you've been bad - Lord I bet you have

And you've not been hit by flying lead

You'd better close your eyes, bow your head

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

ricochet wrote:I think this is a misunderstanding. What rane is referring to as spawn bugs is players beeing stuck in one another at the beginning of rounds. This has never been fixed to my knowledge, has it?
What has been fixed in 1.1 is the type of spawnbug where on player dies at the beginning of the round (... tried to invade ...'s personal space), which typically occurs when there are more than eight players in a team.

Yes, that was precisely what I meant. Both bugs are linked and were supposed to be fixed.
Joe Kari
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel