With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Is this Release Candidate suitable as the 1.1 release?

Yes
85%
No (explain why)
15%

Total votes : 13

Re: Beta testing in 1.1 RC1

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm

racoq wrote:I've tried to connect to a server and the the pak0.pk3 was transferred as expected. However after that the file pak0.8380b193.pk3 started to be transferred over and over again. So Basically i see the pak0.8380b193.pk3 being transferred (the % going to 100%) and then it shows "awaiting gamestate" and than the download of the same file happens again, and again, and again in a endless loop (i have to abort with the escape key).

I confirm your statement; this is indeed happening. Usually, all .PK3-files of Smokin'Guns are located in a directory smokinguns. However, pak0.pk3 is located in baseq3 instead. When I tried it, the client correctly downloaded it to ~/.smokinguns/baseq3/pak0.pk3. Then, as you observed, it downloaded it again and again. Since the checksum on my client, on your client, on the FTP space and on the server all do match, I would speculate, that the client cannot use files in a user's home directory outside ~/.smokinguns/smokinguns.

I cannot provide a completely satisfying solution at this moment, however there are two manual workarounds:
  • don't care for the pak0.pk3. It contains only a few textures (e.g. for dm_hangemhigh). If you have every other .PK3, you can disallow downloads and you should be able to connect.
  • Let /usr/share/games/smokinguns be your installation directory. Copy pak0.pk3 manually to /usr/share/games/smokinguns/baseq3/pak0.pk3.

racoq wrote:I'm aware you guys do the best you can with the limited time you have. But take my place :) this is really frustrating since i cannot play online... :(

I know. I just spent 2-3 hours on somebody else's problem and came up only two workarounds ;-).

racoq wrote:Just a side note Baller Bude (i think this is the link to them ftp://ftp.loop8.net/smokinguns/baseq3/ ) is highly unreliable.

But it's provided free of charge. End of discussion.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 pm

TheDoctor wrote:[list][*]don't care for the pak0.pk3. It contains only a few textures (e.g. for dm_hangemhigh). If you have every other .PK3, you can disallow downloads and you should be able to connect.

I apologize for not having had time recently to install & explore the RC1. Is hangemhigh the only thing in SG that still requires pak0.pk3?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 pm

br_warehouse_mini map has two problems:

1. Bots can't be initialized and report bugs every few seconds.

2. Many times multiple people (including me) couldn't connect when this map was being played. The loading screen would stall forever at the "Awaiting Snapshot" stage.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Bodie wrote:br_warehouse_mini: Bots can't be initialized and report bugs every few seconds.
It's too small for bots IMHO - they don't make sense on this map.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Bodie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 am

Bots don't make sense anywhere. But if they don't play that map, the server will not rotate further. And 1st person that connects will not have an opponent.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:24 am

Bodie wrote:Bots don't make sense anywhere. But if they don't play that map, the server will not rotate further. And 1st person that connects will not have an opponent.
This map should not be in a rotation unless the number of player slots is limited or there is a dynamic rotation depending on the number of players.

Concerning a bot driven cycle, AFAIK bots would need to be able to kill each other to win at least one round. But given the layout of the map, I don't think the robber bots will be able to get inside.

Anyway, generating an .aas should be easy. You could even do it yourself using bspc ;-)
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Bodie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:27 am

They can't open the door or run up the ramp?
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Bodie wrote:They can't open the door or run up the ramp?
I wasn't aware the door was openable. In the context of BR, I assumed one would have to use dynamite to break it, which bots cannot.

Anyway, you can download a version of br_warehouse_mini with bot support here. Bots indeed meet and fight, which would drive a cycle as you envisioned.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Previous

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel