With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Flames and dynamite lighting sounds

Postby hika » Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Recently, I noticed strange sound behavior.
I posted it on "Bug report" even if I still don't know if it is a mod bug or an engine bug (or combinaison of both ?).

1) As I approached places with flame, no flame sound until I reached the area. Then flame sound comes "crescendo", no progression ... (maybe my IoQ3 game engine with OpenAL ?).
In game, it can be annoying since I don't have the info of where the flame comes from.

2) Many times I played with other people, each time a dynamite is lightened, I heared the first milliseconds of the dynamite lighting sound ... and no matter how far it is lightened !
The first time I noticed it, I was thinking I was dreaming ... (it could be "understandable" since I usually play late the night). But I tried to take advantage to it ... and the dynamite lighting event was effectively true.
This dynamite strange sounds behavior let me think that a malicious guy could (diabolicly :evil:) take advantage of it ... I suspect my IoQ3 OpenAL sound system to be the cause of it ...
Maybe somebody else already experienced it ? Need some clues to investigate further.

Even if nobody ever experienced it, one thing I was quite sure is that the client code knows about somebody lighting dynamites, and I think server code should not let clients know about this event, if the client is too far ...
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 pm

I don't remember noticing anything related to this in game.

But I do remember some sound discussions somewhere (probably the mailing list) about the ioq3 sound behaviour and that it is treats "distance" differently.

So I'd guess it is the ioq3/OpenAL sound system.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby leilei » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:20 pm

it is. For some reason if a flash model is lacking the sound comes from the center of the worldspawn rather than the player instead.

It might have been fixed in later ioq3 revisions, but I haven't tried.
OA project leader
leilei
Newcomer

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel