With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Refresh Rate & other things

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 06, 2006 5:38 pm

I was pm'ed the following observations & thought it best that everyone could read it.
Hi bro! I found your Western mod for Quake 3, that's the best mod i've ever seen. Me and my friends are now playing it online Now I have some suggestions.
First thing is monitor refresh rate in game (60hz), after 100hz on my monitor these 60hz looks awfully. So I found console command (r_displayrefresh 100 ... it can be 75, 85 etc, if 0 then refresh rate is default 60 in game) to change it. I think Refresh Rate should be accessible from Graphical settings, because it changes game look very much, so I changed for test q3_pak0.pk3's two files (ingame_system.menu and settings_system.menu). I added Refresh rate function there, ooh that's make life so easier, and now i can set it normaly from menu. It would be great if you could add such addition in your next update oficially
Second thing is bug, sometimes in game menu disappears, i press ESC and nothing happens, can't join game, just spectating and can't use menu. The same thing happened to my friends, only restart of game helps. So it would be great too if you could fix it
Another bug (or maybe that isn't a bug?), sometimes when round starts, bot (my teammate) shoot me, and after that says "sorry". Why does he that, is it revenge for something i did him in game, or in new round it still continues shooting from previous round?
The next bug is quake 3 bug itself, but maybe you can solve it with your mod. Quake 3 doesn't save Texture detail (it always when game starts set to default Normal value), and Texture filter (every time game starts, it sets back to Bilinear). (btw refresh rate doesn't save too) I solved these problems by making my own customsettings.cfg file, every time game starts i type exec customsettings, it sets refresh rate, then restarts video, then sets texture detail and texture filter and restarts video, and then video ir super, but maybe there's way to fix it smarter.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat May 06, 2006 6:03 pm

Ok, let's hope he reads the forums.

The refresh rate setting might be a good idea. I didn't notice the problem, because I use the gfx driver settings to override the rate.

What settings should we include? How about Default, 60, 75, 85, 100, and 120? Anyone need more than that?

The esc key bug is known, but I haven't seen it myself more than once, and it's hard to fix what I can't see. It's also being discussed here:

http://www.westernquake3.net/viewtopic.php?t=739

The filtering (bi/trilinear) and texture quality settings are saved just fine for me. You should check that you don't override them your westernq3/autoexec.cfg, or baseq3/autoexec.cfg. The cvars to look for are r_picmip and r_texturemode.

Anyone else got this problem?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 06, 2006 6:30 pm

torhu wrote:What settings should we include? How about Default, 60, 75, 85, 100, and 120? Anyone need more than that?

Some of the newer crt monitors support 140 and even higher at low resolutions. But forcing such high rates on older equipment can damage it. I think 120 is high enough since most monitors support that.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Even 85 Mhz is pretty good already. So, I think there is no urgent need for really high refresh rates.

But about the bot behaviour, I've seen that one, too, before. I even saw two bots on my team shoot each other. I actually then just shot the "rebel" and everything was fine. Not even a revenge in the next round as suspected.

And last, I think my graphics settings are saved fine, too.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby darkmorass » Tue May 09, 2006 7:17 am

Hi :) Strangely, quake saved my texture detail and texture filter finally, i only removed backup.cfg and default.cfg files from westernq3 folder, was it only contingency? About that game menu disappearing, everything I noticed in that moment was that menu was active before map changing. I tried to vote about map change or change some options but too late, map started already to change, and after that menu didn't work. Maybe this helps :)

About refresh rates, I suggest to use the same values as are available for monitor in display properties. I have: 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 100 (maybe 120 should be included too). Btw if refresh rate is too high for monitor, quake automatically set back it to default value 0 (60 hertz).
Always believe in what ever You say or do.
darkmorass
Newcomer

Postby sig11 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:33 pm

BTW, I just noticed that the refresh setting is Windows-only. On Linux and Mac it chooses the mode fully automatically. I've breifly checked the Linux code and there are two issues, first I'm not sure if I could easily specify it and second it may already chose the highest. The second also depends highly on the configuration of your system (mine e.g. does not even know about 60Hz modes). On Mac, I haven't checked, but I can easily see that it choses the highest refresh rate anyways ;-) ...
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 am

I've added a menu setting for r_displayRefresh now, values are: Default, 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 100.

EDIT: wow, post number 500! :lol:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:29 pm

I need 120 amigo! 120!!! Congrats on 500. :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:16 pm

What? 120?

I need 144 !!! :wink:

No, i'm just kidding...:lol: although my monitor would be able to do this refresh rate at a resolution of 1024*768.....

But i think 100 is enough...but if you would add 120, i don't mind at all.... :)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:57 pm

I could live with 100. I just like my refresh rate to match my maximum fps of 125 as close as possible. Don't bother if it's a lot of trouble. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Ok, I can add 120. I just use 85 myself. As far as I know, there's no real risk of damaging monitors by setting the refresh rate too high. At least I hope not...

Does anyone need more than 120? I don't want to change this again.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel