With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

[bugs] akimbo same pistols drop & pickup

Postby hika » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:41 am

Just after fixing one not serious bug, I now found 3 new ones in a row.
In all case, this happened when the player has 2 same pistols.

1) Buy another remington pistol, set weapon mode to akimbo, then prepare your weapon change menu as the following picture
Then drop the two pistols quickly.
You will notice that "Double pistols" will still be displayed as the following picture
Then press your fire button (mouse left button by default) and you will hear an infinite loop of weapon change sound

2) To find this one, you should try many times.
Set weapon mode to akimbo with same pistols too.
Drop the two pistols very very quickly.
Then pickup your dropped pistols, and you will hear an infinite loop of weapon change sound.

3) This one is probably annoying since it can be considered as cheat.
Set weapon to knife.
Then change to akimbo pistol and in the same time and very very quickly, drop the two pistols.
If you manage to success the trick, you will still have the two pistols in hand, but without ammo, and find two dropped pistols on the ground, with ammo filled.
In that situation, you cannot change weapon but what the hell, you have spawned two new pistols !
I just let you imagine a player doing this in Bank robbery with two Peacemaker :?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Re: [bugs] akimbo same pistols drop & pickup

Postby hika » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:59 am

More things to add.
To trigger the two latest bugs, I have to insist and try many times.
For the latest, when I manage to spawn two new pistols, it seems that they share the same ammo.
When loading one pistol, it loads the second at the same time !
Very powerful indeed ;)
Moreover, the two spawned pistols in hand cannot be dropped.

Hmm ... this bug will be quite a bit tricky, though. :?
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:46 am

I think you should change your nickname to Sherlock Holmes! :lol:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:01 am

Oh well, I did find them when I tried to reproduce the bug Akimbo : Only one weapon displayed.
To correct them will be another story but as long as I can reproduce them, it will be no big deal 8)
hika
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:42 pm

Well, I can only reproduce bugs 2 and 3 on a localhost server.
In a dedicated one, it seems that it is not possible to drop the two same pistols very quickly.
Strange that this behavior differ from a localhost server to a dedicated server.
Anyway, it is 2 bugs that actually not really exist :)
Next time, I should do every tests on both a localhost and a dedicated server. :?
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Speculating into the blue: it might be some sort of race condition, and the times involved in a remote server are much longer than talking to localhost. That way the condition may never get triggered.

But either way - this infinite weapong change loop reminded me of bots that sometimes seem to constantly chaning weapons ... maybe it's connected ? Just thinking out loud here ....
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:18 pm

sig11 wrote:Speculating into the blue: it might be some sort of race condition, and the times involved in a remote server are much longer than talking to localhost. That way the condition may never get triggered.

I really don't think so as I also tested in a localhost dedicated server and could not reproduce the first trick.
I'm convinced that there can be some differences between a localhost server created by the client and a dedicated server.
Maybe because of some "#ifdef DEDICATED" ?
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:21 pm

I think sig11 is right, this is due to the time delay. The 'dropweapon' command is sent as a plain string to the server, and put in a queue in the engine. Then it's processed in g_cmds.c, if the engine's flood protection system doesn't decide to drop it. So these commands are slow, and don't even work every time. The buy, talk, team, and callvote commands also work like this.

The weapon change request on the other hand, is just a bit flag and a new weapon number in the usercmd_t, which probably is processed faster by the server. These commands has higher priority, because delays would make player movment choppy. And speedy weapon changing is important in vq3.

So guess when the time delay gets long enough, the differences between these two systems get exaggerated, leading to 'one hand not knowing what the other is doing'. And the server lets you switch to weapons that you don't have anymore.

#ifdef DEDICATED is probably just to leave the renderer and such out of dedicated server builds.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby hika » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:02 am

My mistakes. There are no DEDICATED defines in the mod, so just forget it.
If the engine's flood protection does its job well and does not allow a player to drop weapons very quickly, on a dedicated server, I still don't understand why it does not its job on the localhost created server.

I'm only talking about the "bug" 2 and 3 which need dropping two pistols very very fast.
About the "bug" 1, no need to drop them quickly. So that's why I could trigger the infinite weapon change sound you lately heard in the latest test session.
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:53 am

I think the flood protection is there to stop a modified client from flooding the server with commands, a sort of denial of service attack. It's got nothing to do with the game logic.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:53 pm

hika wrote:1) Buy another remington pistol, set weapon mode to akimbo, then prepare your weapon change menu as the following picture
Then drop the two pistols quickly.
You will notice that "Double pistols" will still be displayed as the following picture
Then press your fire button (mouse left button by default) and you will hear an infinite loop of weapon change sound

This one is fixed.
BTW, it was reproduceable with two differents pistols.
hika
SG Team

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel