With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby Breli » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 pm

sig11 wrote:[There is such a "hearing" function, but I did not check that one.

That's totally new to me. I never had the impression that bots are actually reacting to noise! I guess, thats just a piece of code which was never finished?

I always wanted to propose something like that ...
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Breli wrote:That'll be the bank resp. the place in NoNameCity where the safe is, I guess. The whole wall is a breakable and, thus, bots can see through it since entities are currently ignored. AFAIK, sig11's fix will not be able to solve that :? ... we will have to create a property/key value pair for entities that explicitly tells the engine how to treat that respective surface ...

Actually ... ;-) ... my fix does fix this, too. I just tested that. Such a wall is more or less a window with stone surface (at least to the engine). And traces are only allowed for windows with glass surfaces :D ...

@Pardner - was this the wall ? Or which wall was it ?

Breli wrote:I never had the impression that bots are actually reacting to noise! I guess, thats just a piece of code which was never finished?

I always wanted to propose something like that ...

OK, you made me look ;-) ... The function exists, but before it can actually check anything, it returns. So it seems it was never finished, indeed. And it is not in ID's Q3A. Maybe I'll activate it and test/fix it.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Dude! If you fix all this I have to hug you again :mrgreen: ...
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:07 pm

sig11 wrote:@Pardner - was this the wall ? Or which wall was it ?

hmmm, not sure what wall DeUgli is talking about. I the only breakable, stone_ wall is in the bank, but i didnt think the bots could get inside the bank. the only other stone_ wall is the wall around the graveyard (which is not breakable).

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Oh sorry, I was reading NonameCity and was thinking of you, Pardner ;-) (at least I get that association right ...)

I guess, "@deugli" would have been better.

Anyways, I tested the grave yard wall, and it's a normal solid wall not affected by this, i.e. bots could never look through it.

BTW, I forgot to mention that in the meantime, my latest patch does no longer erxplicetly test for wood, metal or stone. It only explicetly tests for transparaent surfaces (glass), and treats everyhting else as opaque. So, everybody go ahead and make doors of cloth or grass ;-) ... hmmm, well actually the latter is not that unlikely, if it is a breakable entrance to a cave or so.
sig11
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:32 am

It was now 2 or 3 days that I was looking into the bot AI code ... and testing things (like making bots climb ladders :D).
I found a bug that might be related to the one in this topic.
It seems that bots can see through the ground (and shoot you btw), when you are on one level above.
Maybe because the ground is thin enough ?

It is easily reproduceable on a map like wq_hangemhigh.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:39 pm

hmmm, I can check again with my debug version. But one of my test maps was hangemhigh. It can still be possible, though! Another thing is, that bots can "hear" very well, they will always notice you when you are close by. I decided to leave this behaviour for now. For one, it was somewhat difficult to solve ;-) ... and secondly, they needed a trade off for their limited AI ....
sig11
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:29 pm

sig11 wrote:Another thing is, that bots can "hear" very well, they will always notice you when you are close by. I decided to leave this behaviour for now. For one, it was somewhat difficult to solve ;-) ... and secondly, they needed a trade off for their limited AI ....

Yes, I have seen something like this (a function called BotHearsNoise()).
Oh I forget to say that in my debug version, I have (re)enable bot chasing to get more chance to be shot from below.
Btw, I don't know why Spoon disabled it, intentionally ... Fighting against bots who can chase is more challenging ;)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:47 pm

hika wrote:Yes, I have seen something like this (a function called BotHearsNoise()).

Damn, now that you mention the function name, I think, I mixed something up. This function is not really used, but instead, the FOV is really big, so that they will "see" you when you are right behind them.
hika wrote:Oh I forget to say that in my debug version, I have (re)enable bot chasing to get more chance to be shot from below.
Btw, I don't know why Spoon disabled it, intentionally ... Fighting against bots who can chase is more challenging ;)

hmmm, that could actually be the problem. When I was debugging this, I was constantly using these (default) key bindings and more (which only work on "devmaps"):
Code: Select all
bind i "toggle r_showtris"
bind v "toggle bot_pause"
sig11
SG Team

Previous

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel