With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

[bug] beta2.2 "incompability" with wireless connec

Postby Breli » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:32 am

For some reason, WQ "freezes" for a second or two when playing via a wireless connection. This, happens a couple of times every minute which is very annoying. It was reportet by ChainLighnin, Hellrider and myself so it seems indeed a bug and not a particular misconfiguration on my side.

Probably the unlagged code?

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Does it happen only with wireless connection ?
Since Quake 3 network management only use protocol, above the wireless connection layer, I have doubt about the code bug.
Did you notice wireless link disconnect with your access point ?
Or maybe your wireless bandwith is sucked by other apps or other machines in your network ?

I also have to add that Kowboj server was particularly laggy, lately.
My ping reached 300ms, during server loads.

Well, maybe I will experience the problem, when I will buy a new laptop :D
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 pm

It seems to be worse with wireless. Dunno. Probably wireless connections have characteristics that don't work well with the new code.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that WQ is MORE laggy since the update (wired or wireless). That didn't happen before. And it is not only a problem of Kowboj. We had this on SitW as well ... But AFAIK it didn't happen during the beta22 tests.

Maybe its the beer ...

Are there other people that experienced this?

Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Breli wrote:Anyway, my gut feeling is that WQ is MORE laggy since the update (wired or wireless). That didn't happen before.

One more thing to add :
on most servers, the sv_maxRate cvar has been increased from 8000 to 10000.
Probably because the default server.cfg shipped with b2.2 package has this.
To be in sync with that, I have followed this change, and I guess other server admins have done it as well.
I only mean that more upload bandwidth is now required for servers, and perhaps it is significant for loaded servers ?
I know it is only 2KB but ... maybe you have experienced network problem when there were more players ?

I remember having some laggy freeze in blash's server http://www.bootblock.de/wq3/s194.187.16.192.27015.html.
Don't know if it is related, though.
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:35 pm

hika wrote:One more thing to add :
on most servers, the sv_maxRate cvar has been increased from 8000 to 10000. Probably because the default server.cfg shipped with b2.2 package has this.

That's my fault. Maybe it wasn't really neccesary but I didn't think it would hurt. RAWWHIDE II runs at 8000 because that's as high as my server provider will allow for Q3 games. However, WarBird's server is set at 25000. I suggest playing at both of these servers to see if anything feels different. Additionally, one of the european servers (since that's where you guys are) should disable unlag to see how that plays as well. I recall complaining to Torhu about a "laggier" feel with the new unlag code enabled several months ago. Maybe I'm just used to it now & don't notice it?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Breli wrote:Anyway, my gut feeling is that WQ is MORE laggy since the update (wired or wireless). That didn't happen before. And it is not only a problem of Kowboj. We had this on SitW as well ... But AFAIK it didn't happen during the beta22 tests.

Maybe its the beer ...

Are there other people that experienced this?

I don't think it's the beer ;)

I think you're right! Before the update i had no problems with my connection.
My wireless connection is good and i have got no problems when playing "normal quake 3".
And as I can remember i hadn't got any problems during the beta2.2 tests.
I hope you'll fix this. These damn lags are really annoying :cry:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:00 pm

I experienced a lag issue, but I?m not sure it was due to my wireless network. What I was experiencing was a good 30 seconds of a >999 ping and then it would be fine. This would happen once out of maybe an hours worth a gameplay. I always figured that it was my roommates playing their xbox. I also only have a b-band wcard in my laptop, so I?m only getting 11.0Mbps from me to the router.

Has anyone tried running the 2.2 on a LAN?

Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:30 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Additionally, one of the european servers (since that's where you guys are) should disable unlag to see how that plays as well.

I will launch again the test server with unlag disabled.

To anybody who experienced lag problems: do you remember all the conditions ?
- Does it happen when playing alone with bots ?
- Do you have to play with at least 2, 3 people ?
- Do you experience this on Wasteland, too ? :roll:

With a 8000 maxrate server, 25000 maxrate one and another with disabled unlag, I hope you testers can help ;)
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:19 pm

hika wrote: To anybody who experienced lag problems: do you remember all the conditions ?
- Does it happen when playing alone with bots ?
- Do you have to play with at least 2, 3 people ?
- Do you experience this on Wasteland, too ?

i played on rawhideII last night...I played a couple of rounds against 2 bots. maybe 1/2 of game time. My ping was around ~100 and then for about 30 sec it shot up to ~300 and then it went back to the normal ~100. it wasnt like before where it would shoot up to 999.

then 2 other player joined, Psycho and Dadamungo. My ping stayed around ~100. i think i played against them for another 1/2 hour. So in the hour that i played I didnt have this problem.

dont know if this helps....

Pardner
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:07 am

For those who don't know this already:

To turn unlagging off on the client, do /cg_delag 0.

You can also try /cg_optimizePrediction 0.

On the server it's /g_delagHitscan 0, and optionally /g_smoothClients 0.

See if it changes anything. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Well....I've played a few times on Wasteland - Testing today :

The result is that it was that laggy as on the other servers, too. Every few minutes my ping raised up...sometimes only to 300 but most time up to 900, which is really annoying. :cry:
Perhaps i've got just a real bad connection today. I don't think so but i hope it....

I'll give it another try later this day, maybe the lags will stay away then :wink:
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Breli » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:49 am

Any news on this one from the coding front?

We played a LAN match yesterday. Four players, connected via a switch and a WLAN router directly connected to the switch, local IP range. Thus, perfect network. Still, poor Don Juan who was connected via the WLAN router had a "laggy" game. Turing off unlagged on the server or the client didn't really help.

Whenever I play on a server, I see people running around with the "laggy" sign on top on their hats. Thats new. This didn't happen in 2.1 or during 2.2 testing (for all I know). We must have that introduced in the beta 2.2.

:cry:

Hopefully we get that fixed soon!

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 pm

Hey ! You know what ?
I just bought a new laptop :evil: with wireless connection.
Well, I'm still stucked with experimental driver problems and the likes on my preferred system :D ... but then after, I will have a look at it, and see by myself the problem.
hika
SG Team

Postby hika » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:09 am

Breli wrote:This didn't happen in 2.1 or during 2.2 testing (for all I know). We must have that introduced in the beta 2.2.

In case any people have suspicions about the laggy problem since b2.2, I have brought up a Wasteland - b2.1 at 213.251.174.81:27964
It does not report to any master server, and should be only used for testing purpose.
hika
SG Team

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel