With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:41 am

Red, is it tough to make skins?? I'd sure like to try! Is it the same program as the mapping?
Chain
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 am

Different ball game than mapping. You'll have to sift through this stuff if you're really interested.

http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quake3sk.htm
http://baneforge.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/
http://skindom.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/
http://www.fileaholic.com/idgames.d/quake3/tools/

You might try searching google a bit harder than I did though. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 pm

OK, the actual making of the skins looks like something I've done before. They suggest using a current character model, and building the new skins to fit. Finding the existing skin or model files to work with seems to elude me, however. ??? :?
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 pm

The current models including skins are in wq3_pak0.pk3 in the path models/wq3_players/

Inside are, however, a few more skin files than are actually used. So don't get confused.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

winzip

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Well, I found the tga's and the skins, and it seems like cake to edit them and make new fun characters, though time consuming, of course. But I guess I don't have much experience in basic file management with paths and Winzip, because I can't seem to get my mods to appear anywhere where I can see them or try them. Sorta pisses me off. :x I made a so called ***.pk3 file with my trial skins, but they have no path, and the game can't find them or something. Maybe I'll try again later and see if I can figure out why winzip drops the path. It's probably simple, I'm just not familiar with it yet. :|
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: winzip

Postby hika » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:29 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:I made a so called ***.pk3 file with my trial skins, but they have no path, and the game can't find them or something. Maybe I'll try again later and see if I can figure out why winzip drops the path.

Can you tell us how you named your pk3 and what files (and directories) it contains ?
Maybe I can help you about pk3 path for your new skins.
You can shoot me a PM, so that I can give you my email, if you want to send me your pk3 ;)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:37 am

Merci Hika,
I'm still trying to figure it out. My modifications were just scribbles, so I could see if I could get the process to work from start to finish. So I have icon, head, upper & lower tgp's, and the .skin files for them that I extracted to a work folder from wq3_pak0.pk3. I went to the westernq3 folder and used winzip to make a file called myskinpak.pk3. Then I put my mods from my work folder in that file. Now what? The game doesn't see them, and I notice that the tga files don't show a path when you open the pk3 like the ones in the original wq3_pak0.pk3 do. I will look at it a bit more. Maybe I will send you the files as you said, but I haven't drawn anything special yet. Just sorta messed them up so I could see how the process works. Anyway, plus tard. :)
Thanks,
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

progress

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:06 pm

OK amigos, I got my scribble mods to show up on the settings/players page. The icon is there, and the guy is moving in the big window. So I pick him and start a single player game, but I think it defaults to Clint or something. Do I need to make some other assignment, name, etc. for him to actually appear in the game? Ideas? If I can get the logistics sorted out, it should be a blast to make the skins.
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: progress

Postby hika » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Hmm ... not sure I get you.
ChainLightnin' wrote:OK amigos, I got my scribble mods to show up on the settings/players page. The icon is there, and the guy is moving in the big window.

Did you try that on Vanilla Quake 3 ? Western Quake 3 ?
ChainLightnin' wrote:So I pick him and start a single player game, but I think it defaults to Clint or something. Do I need to make some other assignment, name, etc. for him to actually appear in the game? Ideas? If I can get the logistics sorted out, it should be a blast to make the skins.

I'm not sure but it is possible that the wq3 mod code is only tied to the current predefined skins in wq3_pak0.pk3.
In that case, there is nothing you can do, except sending the pk3 so we can try.
hika
SG Team

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 am

Sorry if I was confusing. In Western q3, on the first screen with "single player, multiplayer, settings, etc.", in "settings" I pick the "players" option, and there's my goofy icon with the others. If I pick that, the goofy mod guy appears in the larger window to the right of the icons. So that part of the game sees it, anyway. But I understand what you said about code. So maybe I should go ahead and make a worthwhile skin, and then send it to you?
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: skins

Postby hika » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:So maybe I should go ahead and make a worthwhile skin, and then send it to you?

Sure you can. Then, I will be able to investigate more, why the Clint skin is always selected.
By the way, can you check "Force player models" in Settings -> Game options ?
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:58 pm

Maybe this helps: At some point I needed to test something with an extra model. So I made a greyscale Sentenza. I guess that's more or less what you are trying. I've just uploaded the 2 pk3's to:

http://www.westernquake3.net/wq3public/ ... 3-grey.pk3
http://www.westernquake3.net/wq3public/ ... t-grey.pk3

I'm not quite sure what went wrong with your attempt. There are some files ending in .skin which need to be adjusted. But your tool may take care of that (I did all by hand for mine).

Naming your model is only done if you want to make it a bot. For which case you need a file like in bot-grey.pk3. I could simply pop all files into one pk3, but I decided to make my model like the ones you get from the general model downloads.

And here is a specialty for WQ3: your bot script needs to go into scripts/wq3bots/ - this is different from standard quake3. We need that because otherwise WQ3 tries to load vanilla Q3A bots which is a bad idea ;-)
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks for your help, Sig11 & Hika! I have enough of it figured out to have a couple wierd looking dudes running around in my game. But I can see that fitting new skins to existing models isn't all that easy. The artwork is fun, but proportions, model limits and ammenities, (like cigars), are tricky. Building a new model would be ideal, but I don't know anything about that. Anyway, it's quite interesting, but it does take a bit of time, doesn't it! :roll:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

skins

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Probably should have started a new thread, since it's been a while. Anyway, I figured out how to apply faces and outfits of great characters onto existing models, and it's a blast! But the model defines the surface area of what you get, so a skin of Chief Lone Wadi gets cropped on Clints model. He almost works better on the female model. (but the voice doesn't seem right!) So I got Gmax, for starters to see about making an appropriate model. Fun program, but not sure it's what I should be using, learning curve and all. I keep thinking it shouldn't be all that difficult to put out some fun additional characters. Of course, andy ideas and help are appreciated! (Like who with what modeler built the existing dudes and dudettes). :roll:
Hasta luego,
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby L3th4l » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Guys from ICI did the current models.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel