With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

ASE model vs MD3 model

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi !
Can someone tell me when it is better to use ASE, and when it is better to use md3 ?

It looks like ASE are very simple to create.
MD3 have animation (but are they animated when part of a map ?), seems to be more difficult to create.

Another question : are they compiled in the .bsp ? I guess MD3 aren't (i.e. should be in the a pk3 with the map). But I don't know for ASE (should it be in the pk3 ?).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:57 pm

• ASE:
    • can be created from brushes in the editor
    • can be compiled using q3map2.exe
    • can be used just like any other model in the editor (angle, size, etc)
    • does not need to be included in the pk3
  • MD3:
    • created using a 3d modeling program
    • usually higher quality (#polys) than ASE
    • must be included in the pk3
Generally, if your going to do some repetitive items in your map you might want to convert them to ASE. All the trees in my map (NNC) are all ASE models. Also, Red has a bunch of standard ASE models for WQ3 such as wagons, trees, and furniture.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Can MD3 be animated ?
If yes, how to specify the right animation in Radiant ?
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:25 am

Models have to be animated with modeling software such as 3dsMax. GtkRadiant can't do it for you. The best that mappers can do is create animated shaders for a given set of textures, but I'm sure that's not what you are after. :( You'll have to do some Google searching to find answers or find a knowledgeable modeler.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 am

Sorry, in fact my question was : if I import a MD3 model in radiant, that have animation, would it be animated in-game ? And, for example, if I try with one Clint model, is it possible to specify to Radiant that I want a running Clint, or a walking Clint...
Coup' George is learning how to model md3, but if md3 animation aren't available in-game, he wouldn't loose time to learn how to animate md3 in his modeler...
And I would abort the duel scene with a train attacked by a chariot (because I will never have an animated horse in-game).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:38 am

I received some animations with the horse models but never could get them to work. I was later told that the Q3 engine doesn't support animations on a static model? But I'll send you the files so you can try to make them work.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 pm

@ Red :
Is the piano in HeH an md3 with animation ?
Or maybe the keys are animated with a "DeformVertex move" shader effect ?

About shaders, I know it's possible to use them on md3, but I don't know how to proceed... If someone could help me... I'm using "Misfit Model 3D" for that purpose (the developpement version have md3 support).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel