With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Texture discussion

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:31 pm

The following posts were "split" from Joe's texture tutorial.

Now I can hear someone saying "Hey, if it's so simple to increase detail to existing textures by resizing them, why doesn't SG do this for the SA?"

The answer is simple. Resizing the textures that ICI made for WQ3 would throw them "out of alignment" in all of the maps. Each map would have to be looked at in the editor & the texture alignments repositioned. 8O Might happen for a future release, but it probably won't happen right now due to time.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:52 am

The answer is simple. Resizing the textures that ICI made for WQ3 would throw them "out of alignment" in all of the maps. Each map would have to be looked at in the editor & the texture alignments repositioned.

There is a little trick to override this, but it's dirty :D
q3map2 and q3engine don't process textures size the same way. The first one thinks all textures have the same definition but not the same size, the second thinks all textures have the same size but not the same definition (for example a 256x256 tex have a size of 1, a 512x512 tex have a size of 1 too but have two time more detail/definition/sharpness). That's a little stupid, but it's the way it works.
So if you want to tune up one texture without having to reposition all in gtkradiant, just keep the original texture for q3map2... Then after the .map is compiled, just replace the old texture by the new...
Let's say we have a "wq3_texturesZ_compiletime.pk3", you put all old textures inside, you compile your map, then you simply move "wq3_texturesZ_compiletime.pk3" somewhere else and run the game !

It works ! But yes, it's dirty ! :D
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:38 am

And who might volunteer? Someone would have to revise A LOT of textures, if we are to make it worthwhile, & then compile all levels with the method suggested. (Hopefully, in weeks rather than months.) Then, verify that all is good. Replacing textures is already easy if you keep the same size & doesn't require a recompile, but I'm having trouble understanding how your proposed method would work with resized images. You have tested this?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 am

It doesn't work.. he's talking about textures that are just placed on the brush that have not been scaled or shifted.. Once a texture is scaled or shifted his "hack" won't work. All those textures end up being not aligned to their original position.. To much work is involved to even consider this right now. In the future though sounds like a plan...
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:35 am

And who might volunteer?

Of course, I'm not saying that someone must do it, nor that it's the good way to do it, just saying that it is possible ;)

You have tested this?

Of course !

Here some screenshots :
Current tex :

New tex from my tutorial (512x512):

And yes, it should work with tex that have been scaled and shifted. I haven't the source map of Durango, but I guess this clothline are scaled and shifted.
Current tex (200x200) :

Just the same at 256x256 (I have added a "256x256" mark on the tex for the proof, but too bad the textures is used reversed as you can see :S ) :

If you wanna test it by yourself, just download this :
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dans.la.rue ... une_up.pk3
Place it on the right directory and start br_durango, you will see ;)
(as long as you don't recompile the map).

That works because Q3engine normalize all texture size to 1.

It looks like we are going a little off-topic, if someone could split this thread...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 am

Maybe it my taste but I think in the first pic the texture actualy looks better. The second pic the texture is to blurry..

This is all good to know (I actually have always made my textures powers of 2 anyway) but the fact is none of the current dev have time to redo all these textures. Your more than welcome to tackle it and I would help when time permitting, other than that, it will have to wait... Nice work by the way
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel