With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Q3Edit

Postby NightcrawleR » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello all, I haven't been active much at all :( I know.
I've actually been mapping with VHE for the source engine, and I'd say I'm getting fairly good at it.
I'd like to try and help out mapping for WQ3... 'cept whenever I open Q3map2,
it just crashes :?
Actually, a command prompt pops up. But only for a second. It has a big ERROR across the middle of it, with the Q3map2 filepath underneath it.

I looked in the forum, (maybe not hard enough? :S)
to no avail for an answer.
So help would be very appreciated :)
Thanks!
NightcrawleR
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 pm

q3map2.exe is a command line tool which means you have to run it via the command line and use switches to control it or create a batch file to run it.

I recommend you use q3map2toolz. That will give you a graphical interface for q3map2..

*EDIT* Here is the link to the q3map2toolz site

And the q3map2toolz download from fileplanet
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 am

@NightcrawleR: Using Windows or something else? If you haven't already, make sure you check out the begginer's guide for tips. Let us know if you have more questions. Very nice to see an experienced mapper take a stab at working for our cause. :D

PS. I have slowly been putting together a tester package of the SA in the last 2 weeks. Keep in mind that the folder names will be changing, which means you'll need to edit your map later on with a text editor if you're using stock textures, sounds, etc. A test package might be ready this month. Maybe even in the next couple of weeks if I can devote the time to it. 8O If I were you, I would spend this time getting used to Radiant & the other tools by making simple test maps to learn our techniques, rather than committing yourself to a full-blown level right off the bat, which would need correcting soon after. I highly recommend EASYGEN for making terrain. (I need to make a vid tutorial for that.) You might also want to learn the simple technique of terrain blending. (I need to make a vid tutorial for that too.)

I'll see if I can cobble together some quick video tutorials for you soon. Great to see you on the forum again NC! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 am

Hi Nightcrawler, good to see ya.
as well as the links Red posted, check out the tutorial page:
template.php?page=1
there is some good information in there.

Red is right about the directory change. If you map now you will have to change it when the SA comes out. BUT! Don't let that scare you. It is very easy to change. All the old maps have been changed, as well as all the new ones.

Its great to see some more interest in mapping for SG... even better that you have experience!
~Pard

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Very nice to have a new mapper around !
Have you got some map concept in mind ? I'm curious about it :)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel