With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Fitting textures to door brushes?

Postby Breli » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi fellas,

I created some brushes that are supposed to serve as doors. I assigned a door texture to it, brought up the surface inspector with S and fitted it to my brush. This is what it looks like in Radiant:

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/7594 ... ant9nu.jpg

I compiled the map (everything set to "fast"). Apparently, I made a mistake because all my doors look like this one (but each is different):

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/98/s ... ame9mx.jpg

So in Radiant it is ok but it isn't in the game. Any suggestions?

Cheers

breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Unfortunately, the web page that shows how to create doors is not on the website yet...but it is coming back when Lethal gets some time. Try this: do not fit the texture to the door. Use an axial alignment. It will look wrong in the editor but will look right once compiled. If it doesn't look perfect try making the door a little larger or smaller depending on what you need.
I idle on #westernq3 at irc.quakenet.org in irc. Maybe I could help you faster if you join that channel?
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Re: Fitting textures to brushes?

Postby Breli » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi Red,

Thanks for the tip. It works that way. It is a lot of work, though, because you can't see it in Radiant and it doesn't really look good ...

breli

Breli
SG Team

Re: Fitting textures to brushes?

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:11 pm

breli wrote:Hi Red,

Thanks for the tip. It works that way. It is a lot of work, though, because you can't see it in Radiant and it doesn't really look good ...

breli

Yeah, I know and that is disappointing. Once you get your door the correct size to display the texture properly, save the door as a prefab. It will make your life easier to just load the prefab when you need a new door. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Doors, doors, doors

Postby Breli » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:15 pm

Man! These doors are driving me crazy >:-|

Saving as prefab doesn't really help because the textures aren't locked although texture lock is enabled. I have to align EACH face of EACH door brush manually if I move it, compile it, check it, fix it again, compile it ...

It takes longer to fix 20 doors than to make the rest of the map.

An advice to all the other mappers: don't make doors. Just don't do it.

Obviously, I am not aware of some texture magic Radiant has to offer. This just can't be the way to do it.

breli

Breli
SG Team

Re: Doors, doors, doors

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:53 pm

breli wrote:Saving as prefab doesn't really help because the textures aren't locked although texture lock is enabled. I have to align EACH face of EACH door brush manually if I move it, compile it, check it, fix it again, compile it ...

I think you may be making it harder than it needs to be. I haven't fooled with doors in a month or more now, so correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just click the "axial align" button for each door after you move it? If the door is the proper size for the texture, I was thinking that's all that needs to be done. :?:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Shadoku » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 am

I dont use the normal "door" textures, i just use a normal wood texture and add detail to the door with more brushes
Shadoku
Pistolero

Re: Doors, doors, doors

Postby Breli » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:00 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I think you may be making it harder than it needs to be. I haven't fooled with doors in a month or more now, so correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just click the "axial align" button for each door after you move it? If the door is the proper size for the texture, I was thinking that's all that needs to be done. :?:

It may be that I messed everything up, but your procedure just didn't work that easy. I did exactly the same thing but still the textures looked weird after compilation.

Nevermind, I will learn it the hard way :? and switch to shadokus strategy as soon as I have mastered it :roll:

breli

Breli
SG Team

I am confused

Postby Breli » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 pm

Apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention to the WQ site, because I didn't see the door tutorial http://www.westernquake3.net/index.php? ... type=doors (or has it been added lately?). The tutorial would saved me a lot of trouble. However, I don't understand why there has to be a multiple_trigger brush? That one is only needed if the door is supposed to open automatically when a player approaches, isn't it? Otherwise this is not necessary. Correct?

Anyway, I am confused. The screenshot of the surface inspector is different than my "own" SI. I use version 1.40 of Radiant, but the SI doesn't show all the check boxes and fields I can see in the tutorial screenshot (and in my Radiant manual for that matter) regardless which type of brush I select.

I haven't found any advanced setting for this in Radiant. Are you using a newer version of Radiant or do I just look stupid again :roll:

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:34 pm

I just added the tutorial section today :wink: As for the door tutorial, it was written by Lt. Frag of ICI about 2 years ago. So I would think it's an older version of GTK. Guess we need to update it a bit :D
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Breli » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:17 pm

L3th4l wrote:I just added the tutorial section today :wink: As for the door tutorial, it was written by Lt. Frag of ICI about 2 years ago. So I would think it's an older version of GTK. Guess we need to update it a bit :D

Ahhh!

So my honour is restored! Kapla!

Oh no! Wrong millenium :D

breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby Lixus » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 pm

ok, here is the ultimate answer to your questions:

1. Doing doors is not so complicated if you know how: put the texture on the door-brush, select one of the visible sides, press S, auto-align the texture(texturing->brush->fit), then delete the values horizontal and vertical shift.
this is because of the fact that the texture automaticly gets aligned from the origin brush that you put where the door's axis is.
if the doorknob is on the wrong side, you have to put a - (minus) in front of the horizontal stretch.
then do the same with the other visible side.

2. If you do not place a trigger-brush, you will have to "use" the door to open it. we (the old team) decided that every door has to be "used" to open. only saloon doors will open by itself (with trigger-brush). we wanted this to be consistent in all maps, so i think it would be cool if it was the same in the new maps :roll:
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:30 pm

Excellent explanation! That makes it much clearer.
Lixus wrote:we wanted this to be consistent in all maps, so i think it would be cool if it was the same in the new maps

The only recently released map that has automatically opening doors is the wq_train conversion. I felt it keeps the fast paced action like it was in the old days. :wink: All of the works in progress I have seen so far all have the "use key" type door action. So don't worry, the mapping community seems to agree with you.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:24 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:All of the works in progress I have seen so far all have the "use key" type door action. So don't worry, the mapping community seems to agree with you.

You have triggers on all the doors in highnoon2. :roll: :lol:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:45 pm

It should be obvious by my posts in this thread that I am no pro at making doors and didn't fully understand the trigger's function. The old door tutorial says to place triggers... so I did. wq_town has triggers on every door even though you have to press a key to open them. Since I cancelled the wq_highnoon2 project last month, I see no point in fixing them. If the project should magically be revived the doors will be fixed. :P
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel