With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Bot support again/Game types

Postby Breli » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:10 am

Hi,

I have a some questions concerning bot support and game types which I integrate in one posting since they are somewhat related:

My map contains a cave system, which is accessible for bots (it can be entered by four different stairs). A money pickup is placed in the cave system. For some reason, however, bots never go into the caves.
I tried to place some navigation nodes for them, buit that didn't help. I guess, it is it just the way it is? There are similar porblems in the "classic" maps (especially mine town). Caves seem to be a problem for bots. Or are there any tricks which can be used to "force" bots in certain areas?

The map is supposed to support deathmatch, team deatchmath and round teamplay. I defined 12 spawnpoints (info_player_start) and 2*8 team spawnpoints (classname team_CTF_blueplayer and classname team_CTF_redplayer) and a couple of money pickups. As far as I know, that's it. Correct?

When playing with bots (round teamplay or team deathmatch), sometimes they just stand around and do nothing. As soon as they see an enemy player they start to move "normal" (if there is such a thing as normal bot movement). My question again, do I have to place bot navigation nodes near the team spawnpoints (the area is not confusing)?

cheers

breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:26 pm

I always use info_player_deathmatch but I'm not sure what the difference is from info_player_start. Anyway, I doubt that would make a difference to bots. The only way I found to force bots into an area is to put a spawnpoint there. Then if a bot spawns there he can follow ai nodes out from there. As far as bots standing around doing nothing, I'm not sure you can do anything about that. However, if a bot is running in place (such as stuck behind an open door) you should put angled bot_donotenter or bot_clip brushes to keep them away from such places. See the wq_town map for examples of how to bot clip doors. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. :(

EDIT: I believe bots will not just stand around in tdm and rtp with torhu's test patch. So maybe you shouldn't worry about it for those modes.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:56 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I always use info_player_deathmatch but I'm not sure what the difference is from info_player_start. Anyway, I doubt that would make a difference to bots.

Anyway, I will change the spawn points. It may help to prevent other problems.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote: The only way I found to force bots into an area is to put a spawnpoint there. Then if a bot spawns there he can follow ai nodes out from there.

There are spawnpoints in the cellars. But for some reason one of them is NEVER used. And if a bot spawns at the other one, he runs straight up the stairs. Strange ...

I think I can't do anything about that.

breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:28 pm

I found some info on spawn points HERE. You may have to scroll down the page just a little.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel