With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

New Map: wq_haunted_mine

Postby Shadoku » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:35 am

This is me and Jak's new map, its an old abandoned coal mine, i did most of structural work on this map before i learned better rockwall techniques, so please forgive the crudity of the rocks.

Screens are HERE

A beta version will be posted later today, after i reorganize the spawns.
Shadoku
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:28 am

Hmmm, let me see now. Where did I leave my flashlight?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Shadoku » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Hmmm, let me see now. Where did I leave my flashlight?

O_o, its not that dark is it? i can see it just fine XD
Shadoku
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:41 am

It's not quite as dark as your screenshots suggest, but it's still very dark in a few places. :o
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:00 am

You see, Red? Dark maps are the latstest trend these days :)

@Shadoku: Great work! Can't wait to see that map ...

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:53 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:but it's still very dark in a few places. :o

I agree. Have you guys played too much doom? I don't like dark maps. I guess this is the reason why I play the World of Padman mod so often :D Good map design shouldn't be covered by shadow. :-)
aquarius
Shootist

Postby Breli » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:35 pm

Probably we can ask torhu whether he can quickly integrate night vision goggles in WQ with the upcoming patch ;)? Just kidding ...

Of course, maps shouldn't be TOO dark. But I guess you can't judge the lighting by looking at the screenshots. After all, different map lighting is some variation of gameplay which is always welcome IMHO. For instance, br_haunted is quite dark too, but the lighting fits into the scheme of the map.

My own map is quite dark too so I am taking a stand in favour of "dark" maps here. I hope to get some feedback during todays testing whether it is playable or not. If everybody hates it, NightFort will probably become DayFort ;) Up to now, however, there weren't any complaints concerning the lighting ...

I guess we'll just have to figure out whether this kind of lighting fits into the mod and the gameplay.

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:49 pm

breli wrote:I guess we'll just have to figure out whether this kind of lighting fits into the mod and the gameplay.

It's interesting that all the brand new maps are dark. Perhaps too dark, but this is my opinion. To be honest I prefer the original maps. They are bright, but they they have dark sections in the underground. So they are mixed quit nicely.

An other thing that's pretty strange is that nearly ever wq3 map has some kind of tunnel or mine. It's getting boring to see the same scheme over and over again. We need fresh ideas.
aquarius
Shootist

Postby Breli » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:35 pm

An other thing that's pretty strange is that nearly ever wq3 map has some kind of tunnel or mine. It's getting boring to see the same scheme over and over again. We need fresh ideas.

I totally agree with that. But, in my case, I have to learn the handcraft first which was more difficult than I expected. It is just easier for me to do things that are familar while I am learning to create maps. It is difficult to learn mapping and coming up with brandnew textures, settings and gameplay simultaneously.

I guess, a good map must have three components:
- A good technical design
- Interesting gameplay and variations to the stuff that is out there
- Novel settings/schemes

I do not master any of these components and probably never will. However, a while ago I started to create some tipis you were speaking of somewhere else in the forum. But making a nice tipi currently exceeds my skills ... But, who knows. Probably you'll see some in the future :)

Anyway, I guess mappers that are currently working on maps for WQ (which are only a few AFAIK) really appreciate any suggestions, comments or fresh ideas from the community. It'll take some time, though, to actually see them in a playable map.

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:52 pm

breli wrote:I totally agree with that. But, in my case, I have to learn the handcraft first which was more difficult than I expected. It is just easier for me to do things that are familar while I am learning to create maps. It is difficult to learn mapping and coming up with brandnew textures, settings and gameplay simultaneously.

My intention was not to criticize your or one of the other mappers skill or work. I just wanted to give my toughs on the subject and to encourage all of you to "think different" (yes I'm an apple nerd :D).

I know that mapping can be very difficult. I haven't created a map since duke3d, but I remember spending nights trying to improve the overall game play and finding the correct light spots.

It's great to see so many people creating maps for wq3!!! *Please* keep up the good work!
aquarius
Shootist

Postby Breli » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:13 pm

aquarius wrote:My intention was not to criticize your or one of the other mappers skill or work. I just wanted to give my toughs on the subject and to encourage all of you to "think different" (yes I'm an apple nerd :D).

And I didn't miscomprehend you in this respect :). I'll continue my remarks on the lighting in the appropriate thread in the beta tester forum though ... since this is the wrong thread for this ... We have some strange effects with my own map concerning lighting.
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:20 am

I don't have a problem with night based maps. In fact, I think it's a nice change of pace. I just feel that there shouldn't be places that are so dark where you spawn and can't see which way to go. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Shadoku » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:14 pm

As you guys have probably already figured out, this map kinda died, im sure it will be finished at some point, just not anytime soon ;P
Shadoku
Pistolero

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel