With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

New Map - Backwater

Postby Breli » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi fellas,

Now that the patch is out and Red & L3th4l already gave a sneak preview of their new maps, I figured that I might also give an update on the map I am currently working on.

As you can see from the screens, the map is far from finished but already contains several structures and quite a lot of brushwork. I guess it will turn
out to be quite complex (concerning the amount of brushes). It is already as large as the larger stock maps and I haven't even started with eye-candy and "small stuff" yet ... The setting: a couple of buildings (a fishing hut for Red :P), some rock cliffs and some surprises ...

I am trying hard to avoid the mistakes I made in NightFort. The design is much more "hint-friendly" and I am doing my best to give the map a more "western-style" look. I am still struggeling with good textures and custom shaders. It is very likely that the final map will have different textures than it has now. Additionally, I am trying to use the functionalities of our new map-compiler (like phong shading and terrain blending) but I am not sure yet, whether I'll have time (and skill ;)) to implement all ideas I have ... On the plus side, the map uses a lot of new textures that haven't been used in WQ yet. Hopefully, it will "feel" new, even if it doesn't revolutionize gameplay.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Well, so much for the new map!

Cheers

Breli
Last edited by Breli on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breli
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Lookin awesome breli.. I like Red's fishing hut :D
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Now where did I put my tackle box... :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:39 am

I had a request today for some more recent screenshots for this map. And since I happen to know Breli is away on vacation for a couple of weeks, I hope he won't mind if I post a few here for him. :)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Heyho,

Figured I might give an update on this one: I am mainly optimizing the map for performance and bot support. That's a very tedious work and I am still a noob ... So that takes a while and is probably not implemented as originally intended. Anyway, the thing looks much better than NightFort. As expected, it turned out to be quite complex and I hope it will give the opportunity to vary gameplay a bit. Additionally, it'll support 8 or more players wihtout getting too "messy". But we'll see. There are only a few visual changes ATM. Some experiments with terrain blending and other fancy techniques are very promising.

I am too lazy to make new screens ATM. Thus, I decided to give a sneak preview to the "other side" of the mapping screen. For what it's worth ... pretty neat, eh? :P

ImageImageImage

The map is playable and has already been tested quite a bit. Perhaps, we will offer it to some beta testers in the near future.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:24 am

Just some new screens for those who visit the editor's form :P (whether by accident or not)

Another piece of terrain blending at work:
ImageImageImage

I guess it is interesting to see the progress of the map if you compare the screens in this thread ...
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Looking better all the time Breli! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:01 pm

Ok. Here it comes: Backwater BETA. If nothing major pops up, we'll be slinging lead on Backwater this week. Time to get your guns ready and cleaned while watching the latest screenies.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:19 pm

I had the pleasure of checking out Breli's latest version this past weekend. Looks and feels good. Lot's of room with plenty of places to explore. A lot of hard work and special touches have gone into this one. This is going to be fun! :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Realtime compiling/mapping news: the first "final" compile of backwater bloated the bsp by 200 percent (~18 MB). Additionally, the tex-file is screwed again :?. Apparently, more info is stored in it during "full compiles". A compile takes 2 or 3 hours, so I don't know whether I'll make it today ;)

The good news: q3map2 is simply GREAT. Smooth shadows, fancy features ... the final result looks much better and realistic than the pics above ...

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:22 pm

Breli wrote:the first "final" compile of backwater bloated the bsp by 200 percent (~18 MB).

If you accidentally compile the bsp instead of the map file this will triple or quadruple the file size. 8O I've done this myself after turning brushwork into models. Then I forgot to change my settings back to a map compile. Maybe this is what happened to you? :lol:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, as best I remember this is what happened. I have run into huge file sizes before, but I can't say for sure I compiled the bsp by mistake. Next time it happens I'll be sure to investigate.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:26 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:If you accidentally compile the bsp instead of the map file this will triple or quadruple the file size. 8O I've done this myself after turning brushwork into models. Then I forgot to change my settings back to a map compile. Maybe this is what happened to you? :lol:

I'll check that. But I doubt it. I don't use q3map2toolz. I write my own compiling scripts ... maybe there is a mistake ...

Thx for the info, anyway!

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby dolny » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Just wanted to say that this map looks very impressive. Can't wait to check it out!
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby Breli » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks dolny! :)

BTW: it'll support all gamemodes, including BR ... I guess you and your buddies on the Kowboj server would like to play a BR round on a new map, hmm? ;)

Hopefully, I'll get it ready today. There is only one little thing to do which doesn't even require a new compile ...

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby dolny » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:57 pm

It supports BR? <wohooooo> :D
Great.
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel