With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

wq_lake lets crash our server (and another little issue)

Postby stoic_ails » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi

Some of you might already know our server which is doing quite fine. (being aware, that wq3 isn't officially supported by our provider)

But we still have a problem with wq_lake:

Everytime wq_lake should be loaded, the server crashes (maybe some of you even tried to connect, then you will be hang at 'awaiting gamestate'.) Because I can't find anything in the logs, I haven't a clue why this happens.
Today I reuploaded the lake.pk3 and did further tests, but still no idea. So my questions are:
Are these known issues with wq_lake? (and me not able to use the search properly :P)
Does anyone have an idea, what the reason might be?

Now another question concerning lag. Some of our members mentioned that our server is sometimes quite laggy.
I ask myself now, if other players also have the feeling that our server lags and moreover if it does lag more than other server. (location is in germany, btw)
And perhaps someone also has an idea, how to lesser it :) We already have sv_rate on 15000 and sv_fps 30 even increased the pings (so I set it back to 20).

Thx for any comments

best regards
stoic_ails
Last edited by stoic_ails on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoic_ails
Drifter

Re: wq_lake let's crash our server (and another little issue

Postby hika » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:32 pm

stoic_ails wrote:But we still have a problem with wq_lake:

Everytime wq_lake should be loaded, the server crashes (maybe some of you even tried to connect, then you will be hang at 'awaiting gamestate'.) Because I can't find anything in the logs, I haven't a clue why this happens.

Maybe you can tell us more about the symptom ?
Did your q3ded or the like still run ? Or did it simply crash with a specific system signal ?
Did you see any CPU eats ?
One advise I can give you is to "+set logfile 2".
This way, a qconsole.log will be written, with no memory buffering. The dedicated server will keep writing to the file on each activity. Then, by the modification date, you will see when the server "crashed", and what is really the last entry in the log.

A known fixed bug exists in b2.2 about wq_train with bots, and CPU usage grows to 100%.
Maybe it is related ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:35 am

Maybe you can tell us more about the symptom ?

Not really, no

Did your q3ded or the like still run ? Or did it simply crash with a specific system signal ?

Unfortunately I have only the possibility to adminstrate with a webinterface (restarting for example) and ftp. The server seems to be still running, because it says so in the webinterface and in xqf the server apears as 'timeout' not 'dead'.

Did you see any CPU eats ?

not possible to view for me unfortunately

One advise I can give you is to "+set logfile 2".

thx, I'll do so tomorrow

A known fixed bug exists in b2.2 about wq_train with bots, and CPU usage grows to 100%.
Maybe it is related ?

I just read about this bug and asked myself the same. If qconsole.log doesn't help, I think I'll contact our provider. Perhaps they like to help me, although they don't support wq3 officials.

Thx for the quick reply :)
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:19 am

If Lake is involved this is the first such occurrence, afaik. Just to give my input, my server has crashed twice since I got it in late November. Long period of time between each crash, so we'll say once a month. Wq_train & wq_lake are in the rotation & RH2 is running on winxp.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:52 pm

I think, that our server is running very stable otherwise. What I forgot and now was remembered of it ^^: Our server runs on Debian GNU/Linux.

However, my next post will clarify things..
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby stoic_ails » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Because I hadn't to work today (luckily), I finally found the time to do some or rather many tests regarding this issue (unfortunately no hardware-monitoring or similiar).

It's bit strange but this is what I tested. Hehe, if I took another 'start', I wouldn't had to do so many tests :P

First I tested the same config again, which - logically - resulted in the 'crash' (not really, server still runs, only timeout):
--> TDM, botminplayers 6, public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake)

Then I thought I'll test it without the bots and made the server private. I tested FFA and TDM and changed the map with a vote. And it worked!
--> FFA, no-bots, private, mapchange with vote (fort->lake)
--> TDM, no-bots, private, mapchange with vote (fort->lake)

Now I thought that it might be related to the mapcycle somehow, so I added again 6 bots and changed the map myself with a vote. And it worked also.
--> TDM, botminplayers 6, private, mapchange with vote (fort->lake)

This assured me in my opinion that it's related to the mapcycle of course, so I wanted to crash the server again. That means I restarted it and waited until the bots reached the fraglimit, so the mapcycle would load lake. Note: This config has only 1 difference to the first case, which always let crash the server: A password was set! To my suprise: It worked!
--> TDM, botminplayers 6, private, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake)

To have it 'written down': 6 Bots, no humans, mapchange through mapcycle. Server ist public, it will crash. Server is private, it won't crash.

Now I was really confused, so I tested again without a password set and the server crashed again (like it should :P)
--> TDM, botminplayers 6. public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake) --> server crashed logfiles

Obviously it depended on a password, at least with botminplayers 6. Really strange.

To investigate further I decided to test with a public server and to change the gametype from TDM to FFA. But I set down the fraglimit to 5, but I don't think this is related. An what happened: it worked.
--> FFA, botminplayers 6. public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake)

So it has something todo with TDM, so I decided now to change the number of bots ingame. First I tried with bot_minplayers 3, which actually resulted in 4 bots playing (fraglimit still 5 btw). And this worked too.
--> TDM, botminplayers 3. public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake)

Now increasing the bots to 8. And this resulted again in a crash:
--> TDM, botminplayers 8. public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake) logfiles

What I got know: It must be TDM, there must be at least 6 bots or more, and the server must be _public_

Now two tests, where the bots aren't alone. That means I'll join them. One change through the cycle and one with a vote. Both resulted to crash the server.
--> TDM, botminplayers 6. public, mapchange through vote (fort->lake) logfiles
--> TDM, botminplayers 6. public, mapchange through mapcycle (fort->lake) logfiles

So, to make it crash the server must be:

- bot_minplayers 6 (or more)
- g_gametype 3 (TDM)
- g_password "" (public)

This was it so far, I wanted to test something more, but I forgot. Now I need a break ;)
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby sig11 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:27 pm

I just checked lake. lake has indeed the potential to show the symptoms of wq_train. If your problem should indeed be the same we had with wq_train, then the only factor is the number of bots (and a certain characteristic of the map). The rest is probably just coinicdence. Set the number of bots to 4 (or maybe 5) and it should just work.

Wether the server freezes or not mostly depends on a random number. So, sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't and I would guess that your other factors (like "password") are just coincidence. However, the more bots you have, the higher the chance that the fatal constellation occurs.

Oh - and hika fixed it for the upcoming version as you alreay noticed :-)
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Atm there are 4 bots. Seems to run fine :)
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby hika » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:57 pm

Eh ! stoic_ails, if you are SA tester, you might do another tests with the "bleedin edge" version here. :D
Maybe I'm wrong, but the password may not be coincidence, since it affects condition of spawning (this is indeed what I fixed).
However, about the gametype, it is curious that you only have the problem in TDM (and not FFA).
Can you try FFA with a lot of bots (say 16 :D, this is what I have done before fixing the previous and certainly related bug) ?
I remember seeing that spawn point might be different between team playing and solo playing.

Btw, it seems that you also have the freeze behavior, by seeing your qconsole.log files.
hika
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:57 pm

yeah, I will do a test with the bleeding edge version. I hope tomorrow, but I'm always quite busy under the week, but I'll try to ;)

I will also try FFA with 16 bots, hehe. Curious myself.

'Freeze Behaviour'? I bet it's somewhere documented.. *search* ;)
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby stoic_ails » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Just tested FFA with 16 bots and it crashed ;)

logfiles
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby hika » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm

stoic_ails wrote:Just tested FFA with 16 bots and it crashed ;)

Thanks for your report stoic_ails.

Just as I thought, it is not gametype dependant.
It is mostly the same problem we have with wq_train.
Please, check the following bug report entry.
In this bug report, the forum topic is private, but you should have enough infos to see if it is similar.

As I have fixed the related bug on wq_train, you can try the bleeding edge version, if you are a SA tester, and see if you still have the crash. It will save me some time.
hika
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:43 pm

I will do both asap
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby stoic_ails » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:09 pm

I just tested the bleeding edge version. The first test was with 8 bots and it worked fine, as it seemed.

But with 14 (16 wasn't possible somehow) bots it crashed again.. (but who wants to play with fourteen bots anyway :P)

The logfile is awfully 25 MB big, but 99.99% filled with

last lines:
Code: Select all
ClientBegin: 10
loaded cached skill 4.000000 from bots/default_c.c
loaded cached skill 4.000000 from bots/male1_c.c
ClientConnect: 11
ClientUserinfoChanged: 11 n\ManWithNoName\t\1\model\wq_male1/red\hc\100\w\0\l\0\skill\4.000000\tt\0\tl\0
Error: Invalid bot spawn point

edit: not 10 bots, 8 bots worked fine

update: here the logfiles with 10 bots (12.4 MB): http://bdachc.netcay.ch/misc/wq3/bleeding/

All tests were with TDM, btw
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby hika » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:27 am

stoic_ails wrote:
Code: Select all
ClientBegin: 10
loaded cached skill 4.000000 from bots/default_c.c
loaded cached skill 4.000000 from bots/male1_c.c
ClientConnect: 11
ClientUserinfoChanged: 11 n\ManWithNoName\t\1\model\wq_male1/red\hc\100\w\0\l\0\skill\4.000000\tt\0\tl\0

Thanks for your report !

It seems that my fix is not perfect, yet.
I will work again on it. And, yes, we are now sure that the bug you found is the same as the one we already found.
It seems that lake also have some "only human" spawn points.
About the "Error: Invalid bot spawn point", it globally means that no valid spawn point is available for a bot, because all possible spawn points are closely guarded by another player (or bot).
hika
SG Team

Next

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel