With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Punkbuster: yes or no?

Postby dolny » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Some players are discouraged because of Punkbuster. It's quite annoying that you have to manually download it in order to play. For me it's not a problem, but for new players it sometimes is.

Should all servers disable punkbuster? What do you think?

PS. I'm getting some players to play WQ3 :) About 10 of them. Nice ;>
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:19 pm

Well, only one of my servers has Punkbuster enabled anyways. I enabled it quite a while ago because at some point I received e-mails from accused cheaters and players accusing cheating. So I enabled it. But since in the meantime I received mails from totally different people about problems, and with your concern, I'll disable it for now.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby dolny » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Thanks. I would like to meet you on the server someday :)
Can I get an admin function on the bank robbery server? I play this game for like third year and I can be trusted :)
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:31 pm

well .... at least voting is enabled on that server ... ;-)
sig11
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Punkbuster, 'YES' every time ;)
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:09 pm

Clink Eastward wrote:Punkbuster, 'YES' every time ;)

That's because you know what you are doing. :wink: PB can be a nightmare to get working for noobs. The last thing we want is to discourage new players. Besides, in all my years playing WQ3 I have only seen one player that consistently raises my suspicions. I believe it is this one person to whom sig11 received so much email. We have such a small group of players that cheating just isn't a problem. Our new patch will have an option for first person spec view which will help us spot a true cheater. Still, it is important to realize that the "old school" WQ3 players are very deadly and must be treated as innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:26 am

I totally appreciate where you are coming from and am a firm beliver that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise, such is a need for the use of PB for definitive proof. Do you believe that when the new release comes out it would be a good thing to set the standard as Punk Buster enabled rather than not?

Also if needed I will write a guide for players new to PB if you like, would only take five minutes.
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:34 am

Clink Eastward wrote:Also if needed I will write a guide for players new to PB if you like, would only take five minutes.

It would be good to have a comprehensive guide around here just in case. The decision to use or not use PB is totally up to the server admins. Like I said, for those of us who know our way around, PB isn't a problem aside from the added lag. Unfortunately, our servers are split by the Atlantic and international games are laggy enough as it is. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:26 pm

I have been thinking about this, brought on by the many cries of wtf, wtf!? & are you bullet proof? etc :roll: :D It's pointless to start now with a server that has a decent set of PB check's, it has never been done to the best of my knowledge so the tiny community has gotten used to playing without and as such there are possibly many playing without a genuine CD key etc.

So..

If and when the new release is upon us I will knock up a quick guide explaining the easy task of how to manually update your PB files along with link's etc. The thing I would need from the dev team is access to the game server file's early enough to have the server up and running in line with release.

With there not being a need to have a copy of Quake 3 there will be no need for CD key check's but you still have the flexibility of cvar checks and the remote clint side SS facility, hopefully this will curtale those wtf!, wtf!? and are you bullet proof moment's ;)

I am totally cool with setting this up and I am dead keen to set good server standard's I just need the support from the dev team, without that nothing is possible or let's say it would be very hard to impliment any standard's that are likely to stay in place.

The new stand alone release would be a great opportunity to do this.
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:58 am

I think we were under the assumption that PB cannot be integrated into a stand-alone version? If it is indeed possible, you will have our support . Of course, server admins should still have the option to disable PB if they wish.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby c|M WarBirD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 pm

PB cannot be put into a Stand-Alone that doesn?t runs with original Q3 really. PB Support is only for Games that run with Q3, not stand-alone Versions. I think they stated that somewhere anyways.

On the other hand, PB might was a good idea but does it really stop cheats, effective ? No, I hardly doubt it. I met enough "smart" people in my life, that if they would have wanted to do that, could have gone around PB all the time. PB is maybe ok for the simple cheats, but if you do know a little programming, it seems its not really a problem.

And besides that PB always costs Performance, cause more trouble than good and I don?t see the need to have PB running anymore. My Servers run all with ioQ3, and I like it very much, they did a lot improvements to the File compared with the original Q3-Source. Its much more secure and just runs smooth like a baby, which I can?t really say from the old Q3 Source with PB enabled.

To honestly believe that you?re secure from cheaters on a Server with PB, is like fooling yourself. There is always a way, and just because you don?t believe it or ignore it, it doesn?t change a fact. I hate Cheaters very much, but, Q3 is not CS, especially after all these years. Most people that play Q3 & Mods these days, are mostly people that are with the Game since forever. They sure don?t cheat. And if some smartasses come along some times that still think that cheating is the only way to win, please, you can?t stop those people, not with PB and not with other tools, nothing is secure.

Kids cheat, or if not kids anymore, then its people that never grown up, because either you can play or you can?t. Using cheat would only be fooling yourself, but I guess those people never learn.
c|M WarBirD
Newcomer

Postby sig11 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:30 pm

You are quite right with your assesment. We've discussed this internally, too, quite a bit. AFAIK no server is running with PB enabled anyways.

1. We don't consider chaeting a big issue. We mostly agree that WQ3 players play for fun and not for some sort of competition.
2. With the SA coming up, we can't do anything reliable against cheaters.

Oh, and welcome to the board :D
sig11
SG Team

Postby c|M WarBirD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Thx, but I am not new here. ;) Just found my old Account, with my old Name. (http://www.westernquake3.net/profile.ph ... file&u=275)

@ReD NeCKersoN: Maybe you could please delete this one, you know its my old Account and that its history by now. ;)

2. With the SA coming up, we can't do anything reliable against cheaters.

Well, without the Stand Alone and with PB, its not that it could really do much against cheats. Like I said above, it maybe prevented the simple cheats from working, but thats it.

The best and most successfull against cheating is still, not cheating. :P Sounds stupid, but its that. The Cheating Community is far more active and faster than those that work against it. I don?t think I have to mention a Game here in which this is just daily routine, cheat cheat cheat... :roll:
c|M WarBirD
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:38 pm

c|M WarBirD wrote:@ReD NeCKersoN: Maybe you could please delete this one, you know its my old Account and that its history by now. ;)

Done. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby c|M WarBirD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Thx m8. ;)
c|M WarBirD
Newcomer

Next

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel