With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Router problems?

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:03 am

This has been happening for years, and googling has never got me any help on this matter.

For some reason in WQ (or any Quake game/mod) I can host games, but I can't join any servers other then my own. I know for sure I can host them just fine, it's the only way I've been playing WQ for the past few years, but it never really bugged me. There used to be hardly ever any players on, and I have a fast connection, so my friends had no problem letting me host.

But now that WQ is growing...it just taunts me every time I hear about how people are having a good time on servers I can't join. Thus I am now seeking help on this subject for the first time.

Now here's the details on the problem:

I have a D-Link DI-624 router. I have to enable DMZ, and forward the Quake ports in order to host. But even with the ports forwarded I can't seem to join any games. When I attempt to join a game I get the message "Awaiting Connection" 1 2 3..etc. Nothing I have tried or done has helped.

And yes, I do leave my firewall turned off when I try to join.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by jakmanjak on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:17 am

Check your router manual. DMZ shouldn't be neccesary. Just forward the UDP port 27960 to the host pc. When you try to connect do not use the WAN IP address nor the Internet ingame browser. Direct connect with your LAN IP address which should be something like 192.168.x.xxx or choose Local in the game browser. This is all I ever had to do with Linksys or Netgear routers.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:22 am

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I don't have trouble joining the servers I host(because I never host dedicated servers), I have trouble joining OTHER servers.

I better edit my post to make it more clear.
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:23 am

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem, bypassing the router? I have a DI-514, which should be similar to what you have, and I've never had any problem with outgoing connections. And incoming works without using dmz, I just use the firewall or virtual server settings. Sometimes I have to wait for hours before new incoming ports are actually opened, rebooting doesn't help.

And the clock is always wrong. Sometimes it just stops working, probably due to overheating. And the log is unreadable. And the dhcp client list is usually wrong. Don't buy cheap d-link routers.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:26 am

torhu wrote:Have you tried connecting directly to the modem, bypassing the router?

...No I haven't. That's a very good idea, I'm going to try it now.
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:32 am

I have trouble joining OTHER servers.

Whooops. Ummm, didn't you just play with me and Hister on RAWHIDE?? So you can connect to at least that server?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:34 am

I can't seem to get a connection by just plugging into my cable-modem.
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:35 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:

Whooops. Ummm, didn't you just play with me and Hister on RAWHIDE?? So you can connect to at least that server?

Wasn't me, it was probably Shadoku your refering to.

I can't connect to any servers. ;_;
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby Shadoku » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:36 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:

No, that was me XD
Shadoku
Pistolero

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:40 am

jakmanjak wrote:I can't seem to get a connection by just plugging into my cable-modem.

No connection at all, you mean? Not sure what you would need to do then. But it should certainly work. Maybe have a look at the modem's settings, or the troubleshooting part of the manual, if you've got that. And restart the modem if you haven't. If the modem has a built-in router and a web interface, you should look at what the status or connection page says. There's probably someone here who know more about this, since I've always connected through a router.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:43 am

Heh...I'll just shut my mouth. Damn I can be dense.... :roll:
Don't buy cheap d-link routers.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby jakmanjak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:45 am

torhu wrote:
jakmanjak wrote:I can't seem to get a connection by just plugging into my cable-modem.

No connection at all, you mean? Not sure what you would need to do then. But it should certainly work. Maybe have a look at the modem's settings, or the troubleshooting part of the manual, if you've got that. And restart the modem if you haven't. If the modem has a built-in router and a web interface, you should look at what the status or connection page says. There's probably someone here who know more about this, since I've always connected through a router.

I will try to find the manuals for my modem, but still even if it does work like this, the rest of the computers in my home will be cut off from the internet.
jakmanjak
Drifter

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:48 am

jakmanjak wrote:I will try to find the manuals for my modem, but still even if it does work like this, the rest of the computers in my home will be cut off from the internet.

It's only to see if the router is the problem or not.

This topic is turning into poor man's irc. :lol:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:06 am

irc.quakenet.org
#westernq3
3 players idle there.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Game Server Info