With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

New Server Help Please! :-)

Postby LayDeeBuggAngel » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:15 am

Hi,

I read thru some of the other posts...but..they weren't quite what I need....I'm wanting to run my own western quake server...but...I don't know how to start...like..how to make a server.cfg file...or a shortcut on my desktop to run the server...and stuff like that...etc...etc....can any of you lovely ppl help me out? Thanks

LayDee
LayDeeBuggAngel
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:50 am

A good place to start is in the Game Server Info section of our forum. Incidentally, that's where you are now since I moved your thread! :wink: You'll find an example cfg in this thread. As for a shortcut, make a new shortcut from your quake3.exe and alter the target line to look something like this: "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set fs_game westernq3 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +com_hunkMegs 64 +exec wqserver.cfg
Take note that I think I renamed my server.cfg to wqserver.cfg. Of course, you may not want all of those parameters but that should get you started. I visited the site in your profile and I assume your not a total noob when it comes to Q3. Still, running a server is a little different. Just let us know if you need more guidance and welcome to the forum. :)
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby LayDeeBuggAngel » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:33 am

hmmm....I might need some help via IM....I mean..reading that stuff...doesn't really help....I mean....I do better w/ someone like walking me thru it on IM or something
LayDeeBuggAngel
Newcomer

Postby torhu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:49 am

You could try irc if you know how to use that. It's #westernq3 on irc.quakenet.org. There are often a couple of guys hanging out there.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby LayDeeBuggAngel » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 am

ok I have another question...is there an easier way to switch the game type and the maps other than going into the server.cfg file and changing it? Like if I wanna change from duel to bank robbery to normal play....
LayDeeBuggAngel
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:46 am

The easiest way is to call a vote. Hit escape while in game and you'll see the option. The other way is to use "rcon" which is short for remote console. Look in the cfg and you'll see where to put a password for it. To use it you bring down the console and type /rconpassword xxxx and hit enter. (Put your password in place of the xxxx.) Then you have to put the word "rcon" in front of everything you do. For example, /rcon map wq_tillian will change the map to the one you specify. You can change anything on the server you want to in this fashion....you just have to know the commands. Search google for q3 rcon commands and you should find some info. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel