With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Q3 Bots

Postby Pardner » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:42 pm

I've been setting up a dedicated machine to host LAN games and I have a sever script that adds 4 miniplayers. My problem is that it keeps trying to add bots from the VQ3 bot listing. How do I get past this? I really dont want to go through and delete all bot files from pak0.pk3.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:37 pm

I had a similar problem once but my server was trying to load custom bots...not vanilla q3 bots. I just made a new folder called "bot temp" and moved them all into there. I've had no problem since. Do you have a server.cfg for a vanilla q3 server that you use? Maybe that is interfering somehow?

EDIT: You could add the bots one by one using their names in the cfg. That should take care of it.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:22 am

I do have have a vq3 server config, but that is in the baseq3 folder and the wq3 server config ins in the westernq3 folder. also they have different file names, so i dont think they are interfering with each other.

I just made a new folder called "bot temp" and moved them all into there. I've had no problem since

what do you mean. you just took out all the custom/vq3 bot files and mooved tham into a temp folder. I really dont want to do this because i still plan to run vq3 games with bots.

if i used the addbot command in the config then the bots would not be kick when real people join.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:18 am

So you do have custom bots for vq3 then? Moving them to a different folder is the only way I could correct the problem. (I never tried anything else once this solved it. I have never had trouble from the vq3 bots from pak0 however.) It's a very simple thing to move them back for a vq3 game. Anyway, that's the way I do it. It seems to me you could add the bots by name AND have them leave automatically as players show up. That's what bot_minplayers does, right? I never tested this but it ought to work. Give it a try and see.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:42 am

yup your right! it was just the custom bots being added. i end up just packing all of them up into their own bot-pak.pk3. when i want to run a wq3 server i can just rename it to bot-pak.zip.
thanks Red.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:21 am

Ahh, a more refined solution. I like. But maybe one of our team can investigate possibilities for a permanent fix. Thanks for bringing up a bug I had pretty much forgotten. Heh, I miss the ol' Lan parties of years gone by. WQ3 (since 1.2), Padmaps & custom models, Urban Terror, Unreal Tournament, KingPin & Vietcong have all been standard fare. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:30 pm

I can confirm that behaviour. Does any non-WQ3 bot actually succeed ? I only had very few ancient bots and non suceeded, but I'm not sure if it is because they are rather old (they do work, though in vanilla Q3). Eventually, after several unsuccessfull attempts with custom bots, the bot_minplayers value is reached with only WQ3 bots.

I'll try to take a look why these bots are beeing added.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:21 pm

sig11 wrote:Does any non-WQ3 bot actually succeed?

I've never seen one make it in. I don't understand why wq3 would look in baseq3 for bots in the first place. :?:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:28 pm

no, none of the VQ3 bot atcually loaded. I had two skins that can with 6 bot files each. so i would say that i had about 15 custom bots in my baseq3 folder. so there was a 50/50 chance of loading a VQ3 bot or a WQ3 bot. sometimes it would take a couple of minutes for the bot_miniplayers to fillup.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote: I don't understand why wq3 would look in baseq3 for bots in the first place. :?:

Unfortunately, that's how the engine works. I just searched for the logic. Inside all the available pk3's (and that includes baseq3) it looks for "scripts/*.bot" files - unconditionally. Right now, I can think of 3 solutions:
- Make the game/mod not look for any "scripts/*.bot" at all. But that would prohibit custom WQ3 bot development.
- Change the engine that for "scripts/*.bot" files it only looks inside "westernq3" folders. That's what I just did and it seems to work 8) ... It's a bit hackish and I want to think about it how it could be done cleaner. OTOH it may not be _that_ hackish.
- The probably cleanest solution would require to change both, the game and the engine. The game would need the possibility to ask the enigne "give me these sort of files, but only inside westernq3". But the game cannot do such a request to the engine right now - at least as far as I can see.
- ahh :!: I just had a 4th idea :-) ... we could change the game, so that it does not look for bots in "scripts/*.bot" but instead in "wq3scripts/*.bot" or similar. Then it won't find custom vanilla bots, and custom WQ3 bots would need to go in "wq3scripts/*.bot" instead of "scripts/*.bot"

:-) ... I hope it does not really hurt if I drop some of these thoughts in a public forum and not in the smokin guns forum. But hey, so the players can get a bit of a glimpse what we do ;-) ...

Pardner wrote: sometimes it would take a couple of minutes for the bot_miniplayers to fillup

I see, and this does sound annoying. But at last it's not fatal.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel