With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

about little freeze/lag (magnified in Train)

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Just tested to copy the westernq3 beta2.2 version of Train into the SG_1.0, and it does the same little freeze every 2 second. Of course Train works perfectly in wq3 beta2.2, so the map is not to blame. And just for fun, I have copied the SG_1.0 version of Train into my wq3 beta2.2, and it run fine. In fact this little annoyance appears on ALL map, except that the effect is magnified on Train (BTW Train use a lot of moving things, so is more vulnerable than other map).
I have tested Train on all version of the game I have.
It works well on : wq3 beta2.2, the last SA version still named WesternQ3, the first SA version named Smokin' Guns.
It works bad on : RC2, and SG_1.0

In addition, I have also tested to import SG like a mod in ioQ3, and good news, Train works well, those nasty little lag/freeze (that appear even in single player game) don't happened. So when the game will be backported to ioQ3, this bug will disappear.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Hum... Maybe that could be related to the invisible game bug fix... I will try without the fix to be sure :?
Tequila
SG Team

Re: about little freeze/lag (magnified in Train)

Postby DeUgli » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:37 am

Joe Kari wrote: and it does the same little freeze every 2 second.

It seems to me to be connected with narrow passages on Train Santa Fe Express, rather than being random. Happens at door entrances and when jumping over a table or running between boxes.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:04 am

It happened to me regardless of my position, and in fact, jumping from one roof to another is really difficult if this little lag is inserted during the jump.

@ Tequila: about the invisible bug, I think it is not really fixed, I haven't seen invisible people, but in fact, during my testing one bot was totally non-solid, all the time, until the map changed.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 pm

that's not the only bug. i found out that sometimes at Santa Fe Express when i got shot in head i am not bleeding. there's some kind of metal coming out from my head. and i don't die. also if i shoot somebody in the head an error appears something about that the damage should be less but is bigger. and still nobody dies.
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Clintstone wrote:* The game lags a little bit
It seems as if other (network) players don't move as smooth as they did playing the old version. For me, in first person view, the movement seems smooth. For others, it's jerking. I can say the same about the players I see during gameplay.

Pardner wrote:I noticed this too. I am on a very large shared network (state university) so I just dismissed it due to insufficient bandwidth. But after further testing, it does the same thing while playing single player. I am not getting a FPS hit, and it seems to come in very regular intervals. I am going to keep testing this, but has anyone else encountered this?

So Clintstone and I weren't imagining things! This bug happens to me on all maps. I have not even played Train for unmentioned reasons [cough]modem[/caugh]. I hope this gets sorted out regardless which direction this game goes.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:26 pm

I think the effect is connected to the number of entity the map has.
Map with only few entities, like Dry, are less affected, map with many entities like Train, and Alamo too, are more affected...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pyrite » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 pm

I haven't been able to try out the standalone yet, but we had all kinds of problems on kitserve when bots were enabled: invisible player models (both bots and "real" people), server crashes, etc. This was on ioQuake3 Linux PowerPC build, with SG b2.2. Pretty sure it happened on all maps, but Santa Fe Express was the worst for it. When bots were all kicked, things were much more stable.

By the way, Joe Kari, any chance of a little "how-to" on importing SG-1.0 into ioQuake3 please, for those of us who aren't on x86? I'd really like to give the stand-alone a go, but it doesn't look like it'll be possible until the ioQ3 backport happens (not a complaint, the devs have done a lot of hard work which I appreciate, but sadly I'm using PowerPC for the server). It'd be nice to be able to check out the updated maps (if there are significant changes)...
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:18 pm

About freeze/lag, I tested this night a linux sse2 build and the problem wasn't there. Btw when I use the linux x86 from the official release the problem comes back.

Sparcdr, as I saw the thoru post,it seems the windows binary is compiled with sse. I didn't have time to test sse but I will. Can you try sse2 on windows build ?

Then the problem seems related to a workload in the engine. Joe Kari noticed there's a lot of "Trace" that there is not with ioQ3 for example. We will have to trace the traces :D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Oops I lied. I finally got the SA downloaded and I dont have that lag issue anymore. I have only tested it briefly on Deviant Pointer server. I even played train without the lag issue. Strange.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 pm

I really hope that we can squish this nasty little bug ... it is really annoying :oops:
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Ah Tequila, you haven't understand what I have said about "trace" !
That's not related, that's another issue, sorry if I confuse you with that thing, sometime I speak a little off-topic :O)

Trace are requested by the mod-part of the game, so it is the same regardless of the engine. The too high number of trace is something that have always existed with that mod, and explain why it runs so slow compared to other Q3-based game. I have few ideas about how to cut it by 2 or 3, I will post that later (for example: stop calculating traces for gibs that lie on the ground, they would not be able to move anyway; and stop calculating a bullet trace if it can't deal damage anymore).

@ Pyrite:
Sorry, I tested with ioQ3 only for checking performance issue. The game wasn't running the way it should cause the ground was like ice, my cowboys was sliping everywhere. Maybe Tequila can help you with that, all I have done was copying the mod directory into ioq3 and launch ioq3 with "fs_game smokinguns".
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks to correct me Joe, my disease made my brain a little out of order :D but now I'm better. ;)

Can you explain here how you debug trace yourself ? That could help people wanting to help ;)

PS: We should start to reveal our secrets :P
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 am

In single player I've gotten the jolt and on multiplayer I did, but not last time. On my Vista machine I didn't get it.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 am

Did some testing of lag on train, findings as follows: :)

• wquake3.exe from wq3_sa_engine04.zip, version "wqQ3 1.33 w04"
    - GOOD
  • smokinguns.exe from SG_RC1_2008-10-10.zip
    (same as smokinguns1.33w05-win32.zip), version "SG 1.33 w05".
    - BAD

Do you guys get the same results as I do?

I've also tried building various revisions from hika's old repository, found in downloads/wq3 source/wquake3_full_svn.tar.gz on the private FTP.

I assume that the RC1 exe is rev. 1555 of hika's repository, but haven't tried to verify this. I've tested a few revisions, the oldest I tried was 1515. I still get lag in 1515. 1511 and 1510 wouldn't build.

Anyone remember if changes were made between sig11's 'w04' release and hika merging the engine code into his repo?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Next

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel