With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:22 pm

ACTIVATOR : sound will play only for the player that activated the target.

pressing "N" will open the entity window. You can find out most information about the entity there.

EDIT:
Pardner wrote:I will test this tonight when I have more time. We may need to update our shader file.

Our sg.shader does not include any fog shader. We do have the fog.jpg editor image but we do not have the actual shader. (Dev members: does this editor image belong to Q3? does it need to be removed.) I will paste a fog shader here, and I will se about adding fog scripts to the next patch release.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Unless your map is completely outside fog is not recommended, you can't keep the fog out of buildings, ect. Meaning any indoor areas will have fog too.

Not to mention if your map is outdoors based you have to cover the whole map with the fog shader and it hurts performence.

That's why we don't include it with our sg.shader.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:52 pm

lol, ok, thanks guys, i think ill discard this details for my map for now, gonna upload my second map soon so u can give me ur opinion :D

sorry about the signature pard, took out my cactus-killer cat :)
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Indeed. If you remember q3tourney5: Image
It was one of the smallest Q3 maps, but it had the worse framrate. You cannot butt multiple fog brushes together like you can water brushes, therefore its hard to work with (see the old br_haunted by Jakmanjak and Shadoku).

About the sig: np ;) just trying keep the forums easy and un-cluttered
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 pm

hmm, to be honest, ive never seen q3 fps drops.. since i remember ran perfectly in 1280x1024, and if i remember well, many oldie engines use fog coz it reduce the representation range precisely to improve fps (example N64 games. foggy as hell :) ).. perhaps its not the same with ID Tech 3, also its the first time i see this engine drop fps so badly, correct me if im wrong, im not really sure about this engine :D

note: im talkin about the engine, not about ur work with sg mod, please dont misunderstand :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby /dev/random » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:09 am

You mean fog clipping. I know an article about it, but unfortunetaly it is in german. Google might help you with that search term :D
And iirc you can also keep the fog out of your buildings, but I can't remember how :roll:
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Fog clipping and fog shaders are two different things. Joe Kari has been working on something similar to fog clipping with his far clipping.

Fog is hard because you cannot had a plain with a "no draw" texture to hide where the two surfaces meet. This makes a nasty looking seem. You can keep them out of your buildings simply by not making a brush there.... but now you have to hid the seems somehow. This can be done with terrain or detail objects (creates, barrels, fences, etc)

L3th4l wrote:That's why we don't include it with our sg.shader.

If you wanted to add your own fog shader, use the following parameters to make fog:
Code: Select all
fogparms <red value> <green value> <blue value> <distance to Opaque>
surfaceparm fog
surfaceparm nonsolid

http://www.heppler.com/shader/
Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 pm

The problem is that you have to be inside the Fog brush to see the fog. So if you cut out the brush around a building you will not see fog outside while looking through a window from inside the building. It kills the effect.

That's why I said "you can't keep it out of buildings" I should have said "You can, but it looks like ass" :lol:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:01 pm

hmm, i see, i was talkin more about the Q3 style fog, u know the low fog on the floor that gives that creepy crypt feeling, like the one in the tutorials from bubba's the so called "Volumetric Fog", theres only left to add a workin fog shader, doesnt it?.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 pm

So, what is to become of the first map?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 am

well, as u say was my first map, and u saw the fps drops, i really doubt its playable within 5~10 players, perhaps ill remake it, for now im just lookin for practice and get to know better GTKR :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:04 am

I remembered seeing a couple fog maps in Wild West and checked them out. It sorta does look like the fog is inside too , like you said. They do have a cool alternate look though.
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:20 am

What you can do to keep the fog out of your buildings is do like ID did on Q3MD4:
If you can create your brushes and line them up and hide there edges like in the screen, then you dont have a problem. BUT big outdoor maps this can be difficult.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 am

Nice looking screenshot Pardner ;-)
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi again to SG staff, ive been workin on a couple of maps, got an annoyin error on one of em, MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES, found its due an overusage of patch prefabs...deleted half of the prefabs...still gettin the same message when compiling AAS. :?

Heres some screenshot of my work:

[Ruined Church of San Ignacio] in progress

[Ghost Town: El Oro] the one with the MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES problem..

thumbnailed tryin to help out red, lol 8)

hope to hear your opinion :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel