With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Handicap

Postby DeUgli » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 am

I have noticed some players recently who seem to think that giving themselves a handicap helps them ingame. One guy I played last night had a handicap of 10. I don't think he could read English since he never replied to my attempts to chat.

After a quick look through the manual, I couldn't see anything on how handicapping works. Could that be something that could be displayed somehow so people would know how to use it? Or did I miss the post in all caps somewhere? :?
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:34 am

It seems to change the damage... but I suggest contacting an admin and getting players with handicapped on kicked. The servers managed by the core members don't put up with it if they don't listen.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 am

sparcdr wrote:I suggest contacting an admin and getting players with handicapped on kicked. The servers managed by the core members don't put up with it if they don't listen.

I think you misunderstand. Giving yourself a handicap means your health is reduced by whatever you set it for. It's clearly not an advantage.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:01 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:It's clearly not an advantage.
Right. It's something Pardner or Joe Kari might use out of pity for us lesser mortals, but nothing "SG Player" should turn on. If sparcdr, who knows a lot about the game, got confused, I wonder if handicap should even be featured on the player setup. Would it be desirable to move that menu? Or would that be a horrendous code rewrite?
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Plates » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
sparcdr wrote:
It seems to change the damage...

I think you misunderstand. Giving yourself a handicap means your health is reduced by whatever you set it for. It's clearly not an advantage.

Doesn't it also reduced your damage, cause it seems like I go through a lot more ammo when I set one.
Plates
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:30 am

I was thinking about that too, disabling it that is... is it really necessary? I don't think so.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 am

sparcdr wrote:I was thinking about that too, disabling it that is... is it really necessary?

I've also seen some of the best players using it. (Out of pity or for the increased challenge.) I'm not sure getting rid of it is the solution. Some sort of explanation where you set it would be good for everyone.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:38 am

I like to use it when playing Chilli or Joe Kari. The international lag makes it hard for 1vs1. The handicap allows the home player to even it up a little bit.

I agree though, it is frustrating to see SG_Player with a handi of 10 and not be able to get a response from them. One fella told me that it was the way hi config came.... dont know if it was a friends joke, or if soemone edited our package.... but i do know that the q3config that comes with the package does not have a handicap of 10!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:22 am

I use handicap occasionally, mainly because I want to have fun.

I recently ran into somebody with handicap set to 10 or even 5 as well. ALL ATTEMPTS to talk to him failed. I was standing right in front of him, yelling that he\she should increase handicap while he was emptying clip after clip right in my head :roll:

No wonder people think some players cheat ...

Maybe we can have a graphical overlay at spawning\when the round begins on the main screen saying

Handicap set to 80

Health reduced to 80

80 percent damage dealt.

Cheers

Breli

Edit: I played a little. Maybe something like this. Of course, such a message won't help players that cant read english :roll: ... however, it would remind me to adjust my handicap whenever I run into maniac players like Joe or Pardner :lol:

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/316_handicap_1.jpg][timg]316_handicap_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Ugly » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:33 am

Breli wrote:I recently ran into somebody with handicap set to 10 or even 5 as well. ALL ATTEMPTS to talk to him failed.

Had the same thing many times. Always seems to be someone who doesn't read the chat or doesn't understand it.
Ugly
Pistolero

Postby DeUgli » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Breli wrote:Of course, such a message won't help players that cant read english

Handikap für nur überlegene Spieler!
Handicap pour les joueurs supérieurs seulement!
Handicap per i giocatori superiori soltanto!
:twisted:
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Kouma » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 am

DeUgli wrote:
Breli wrote:Of course, such a message won't help players that cant read english

Handikap für nur überlegene Spieler!
Handicap pour les joueurs supérieurs seulement!
Handicap per i giocatori superiori soltanto!
:twisted:

Little help for brazilian players:

Handicap diminui sua vida!!!
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby DeUgli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 am

Kouma wrote:Little help for brazilian players:
Handicap diminui sua vida!!!

Hey, that's good! It means something like "handicap shortens your life", doesn't it? :lol:
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:14 am

No comprendo.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:04 pm

If players set a handicap and are not able to reset it, they don't deserve better. If we were to take care about everyone's handicap, we could asewell spend other players a better pc hardware and internet-connection, just because they'd be able to play better then. If you really want to take care about dumb players, one could add a serverside notice when a player wants to set a handicap.

Why should one start to translate the game? The rest is still English. It would be quite some work to translate the game and one would have to depend on external translators for every new language.
For "World of Padman" there was a similar problem and the result of discussions was; just leave it English.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel