With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Windows Pro problem

Postby doctor_smooth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 am

I didn't see a topic with this in it.

I have windows pro on a 512 mhz processor capable of 1.1 ghz. Vanta LT video card, and plenty of hard drive space to boot. I have played Soldier of Fortune II and Western Quake 3 without problems, but for some reason when I go to boot Smokin' Guns it simply crashes. First I thought because it wasn't finding the autoexec file it might fix it with placing the file in the folder, but even with that I still cannot get this game to work. My friend came over who is knowledgeable in programming languages and stuff, but he still had no idea what was causing it to fail. Any ideas?
doctor_smooth
Drifter

Postby torhu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 am

Does you cpu have SSE? If it doesn't we'll provide you with a non-sse build that should work. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:11 am

Do you mean Windows XP Professional?
Try going to start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information and select software environment/windows error reporting
See if there is anything reported there about the game. It may not tell us much but at least it's a start.

EDIT: Torhu beat my post. His idea sounds good.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby doctor_smooth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 am

I have no idea where to find if it is SSE or not could you help me figure that out??
This is all it shows.
1/26/2009 10:48 PM Application Error Faulting application smokinguns.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module smokinguns.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0006352f.

doctor_smooth
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:08 am

doctor_smooth wrote:I have no idea where to find if it is SSE or not could you help me figure that out??

Looks like the smokinguns.exe is what's giving you trouble. What Torhu is asking is "does your processor support SSE?" To find out, download version 1.5 of CPU-Z & extract the contents of the zip to wherever you like. Run the cpuz.exe & look in the area I have circled in this screenshot:
If you don't see SSE in the instructions, maybe Torhu or another coder here will compile an exe that might work for you. I'd do it but I don't know how. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby doctor_smooth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:01 pm

SSE is not there so it is non SSE. Thanks, it looks like we have found the problem. 8)
doctor_smooth
Drifter

Postby torhu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Check your private messages, doctor_smooth. :)

Maybe we should release an 'official' package with non-SSE executables? Anyone one the team feel like building on linux? The Windows build is up under downloads/extras on the public ftp. I used rev. 86, since the older ones won't build easily.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 am

I can do that for you if you like since I'm the one who is supposed to be handling these builds. It's very suprising, and don't expect it to work too well. SSE has been around since the Pentium II era, and your video card probably couldn't run more than dm_dry if you wanted it to. Of course YMMV, but please keep in mind due to complexity, we can provide you binaries, but obviously our support is limited given the numerous problems that may crop up from anything made before the GeForce 2 on a PIII.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby doctor_smooth » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Yes thanks Torhu already got me the file. I plan on eventually upgrading to a newer pc eventually when I have a job that allows me to do so. For now I will just be playing with the lag that I get because of the age it is :lol:
doctor_smooth
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 am

sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel