With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
The place for eye candy.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Coup'George

second try at a Character

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 am

here was a second try at a new guy, its using only one model so that should help :roll:

name may be Blacksmith... don't know yet

EDIT: sorry for all my typing errors, I was in a hurry :roll:
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:45 am

Lol. The man in the iron mask.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:58 am

its funny, after changing and re-changing the images for "the Mexican" to this guy so many times, I think I accidentally deleted something because now I can't join internet servers lol. no prob though I will just redownload SG.

btw I was wondering if I could email the images of him to one of you guys so that he could be added to the next SG update. would that work? :|
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 am

I'm still a little fuzzy on how something like this works. In a game I used to play a lot (KingPin) I downloaded many custom skins. As far as I know, this didn't require a new model file. Does anyone know the best way to go about adding custom skins to SG without a lot of trouble??
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am

L :lol: L. he looks so funny. He looks something like a western grim reaper. xD
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:04 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Does anyone know the best way to go about adding custom skins to SG without a lot of trouble??

I cannot remember ATM. I will see if I can dig out my "Mr. Gray" skins I made. I did the same thing as sig11, i made all the wq3 skins gray scale and instered them into the game. it did not require new models, i think it needed:
-new skins
-new config files

I'll post back this evening
Pardner
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:09 pm

One other question I had was who made all the textures for the Characters.
I know that at least there is a new skin for the male3 model. I saw pics of the old game before it was independent, and I think "the Mexican" had a deferent skin.

But back to the question. Who did make the skins? Because he is really good and I was hoping I could get some tips from him.
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm

That would be Leon. I'll toss a note his way letting him know his assistance is requested. :)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Summoned

Postby Leon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Tada! Thanks to EvilFuts. Im the guy who made the re-skins.

Yeah I´d be happy to give any tips. Whats on your mind, or, what do you want to know? I doubt I have the time to write any full tutorials or anything, I think I tried once, but I just didnt have the time nor the energy... But I´ll be more than happy to answer stuff.

If you want to make this even easier, you (or anyone for that matter) can add me to their MSN messenger with Acherontia_domus[AT]hotmail[DOT]com and talk thru there, I dont mind. ...This oughta lure in a few spam bots, but thats ok, I dont use that for e-mails anymore.
Leon
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sparcdr » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:18 am

Kinda scary o_o... should be a bad guy skin.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby vIiRuS » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I'm still a little fuzzy on how something like this works. In a game I used to play a lot (KingPin) I downloaded many custom skins. As far as I know, this didn't require a new model file. Does anyone know the best way to go about adding custom skins to SG without a lot of trouble??

No you don't need to add any model files. (in quake 3 you dont have to... so i hope its the same here ;) )

you just have to create .skin files. you need one for every part of the body (head, torso, legs.... as these all are sepeare models) and in this .skin file you have to define where your .tga of your skin is and and whats the name of the file.
there probably already are some of these .skin files in the original sg .pk3 files so you could copy them them and then modify them so they work for your skin.
vIiRuS
SG Contributor

Postby Leon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:56 pm

For any generic helpful tips, check out the burn and dodge tools for shading the surfaces and adding depth to the texture. Its one of the most basic things about making skins and textures, so you can create wrinkles and cracks and all kinds of stuff with that. Its all about shading.
Another thing that is really helpful is using plenty of layers and getting familiar with the different blending options. Like I added the finer details to the skins, the cloth´s pattern etc, with just new layers that are semi-transparent.

And, yeah. I´d suggest to check out the layers, their blending options, the burn and dodge tools.

http://skindom.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/

those might be helpful also, dunno. Dont be afraid to contact me on MSN if you have that, I´d be happy to help ya out.
Leon
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 pm

sorry I didn't reply sooner Leon, Actually the only Messaging programs I have are Xfire and Steam. And then I didn't even know what to ask you. :lol: lol

Yeah I think the main thing was how you did all the shading, I didn't know if there was a specific tool that did that.

the other thing I wanted to know was how you made the Eyes and the rest of the face look so much like the real thing, like its right from the movie :P

Thank you very much for the link, I looked over the site and it looks like it will be a big help.

Thank you for all the help Leon. 8)
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby Leon » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Specific tool... Not really. Dodge and Burn, and then just using the airbrush. I used about three different skin tones, one for the basic flesh colour, one for the shadows (more reddish) and one for highlights (paler yellowish) and then I roughly sketched the face. I made it all in higher resolution, ie, a bigger skin.

The hair, faicial hair, some hue variations, etc details were on their own layers. And some wrinkles are added with dodge and burn tools. But yeah, its pretty much handpainted and I googled a reference photo.
Leon
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Well The Blacksmith is all done, I did all the textures (all three heads, all three bodies, and all three legs)

and I also made the .bat file so he can be a bot. the only thing that is not really done is adding him to a team, which means you can use him in Free-for-all but if your doing Bank_robbery or just team_DM you can't use him :?

other then that hes all set.
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Next

Return to Texture Artists

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel