With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

A rotoscoped western movie in the works?!

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue May 05, 2009 9:24 am

Info at Twitchfilm - movie titled HIRED GUNS

.....wow. This sounds cool. Here's hoping we got ourselves something new and different from the usual western stuff coming out these days. It's all dandy and gorgeous, but, something kinda rock 'n' roll and spaghetti would be awesome. :D
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Kouma » Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm

FULL ROTOSCOPE MOVIE??

At my view, that would suck. I SURE love rotoscoped INTROS, but an entire movie? The realism would be out of the film. I prefer the old Techinicolor used in old movies... love it.
I expected more from Donatti. Really.
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 06, 2009 1:18 am

Did you ever watch A Scanner Darkly? Not the best plot but I thought the rotoscope effect was kind of cool. I could see this working. If the story, direction, acting & score all come together this could be a hit & a boost for the genre. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Waco Kid » Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 am

I guess a rotoscope western would be better than a rectoscope one! 8O
Waco Kid
Drifter

Postby Bromden » Thu May 07, 2009 1:33 pm

Well, the colors in the teaser are kinda harsh for me.
90 minutes of that can make my eyes bleed. 8)

On the other hand, the score is by a Morricone, and it is directed by a Sergio.
What could go wrong then? :lol:
Bromden
Newcomer

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Having seen the original spaghettis when they first came out, I might sorta feel like I was watching the cartoon, waiting for the REAL movie to start. Leone's photography trademarked those movies, closeups, sweat, whiskers, glancing wattery eyes, clothing in the wind. I'm not seeing that in the rotoscope, but it sure sounds like an original! Would be cool if that same crew made some non-roto westerns, too. :)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri May 08, 2009 12:11 am

From the article:
For a taste of what’s coming, McKenzie has released a pre-viz teaser to show what he’s got in mind.

I take that to mean that the trailer we watched isn't part of the movie. Only a cheap concept video just to give you the general idea.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Fri May 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey, Scanner Darkly has a good plot. Just a dull script that's a really really bad adaptation of a great book. ;) Admittedly, only one scene is actually perfect (the suicide) and the rest are mixed. (in the movie, that is)

And yes, that's a PRE-VISUALIZATION trailer. That is NOT what the movie is going to look like. It's a cheap marketing trick to get money for a project, as funding is hard to find these days for niche projects like this. You make something, you show something, say, "it's gonna be like this, BUT EVEN BETTER" and they'll go for it. It's a trick employed by many folks, even game designers. (Blur Studios' Crysis video, anyone?) So yes, the video looks terrible and I hope to God the movie isn't like that. Those are cheap AfterEffects & Vegas-level filters that are not even using proprietary software, which is what a project of this kind of level needs (and what Scanner Darkly/Waking Life used).

The look of a rotoscoped western could work, the main thing is just how gimmicky they make it and how much detail they put in. There's a good chance they could pull this off by simply making sure some key shots have all the detail, grit, and necessary texture that you need to emulate the old-school flavor.

I think trying to shrug off the film instantly by "looking fake" is kind of ridiculous. Film is fiction, it's fake by nature. Not every film requires that it appears real. If that's not your thing, that's fine, but to be so dismissive always came off to me as not getting the point and not bothering to look deeper.

However, that pre-viz teaser? Looks terrible. And shrugging THAT off is probably a good idea. We have no idea what an extra $20million can do for this project.

With a good script and a kick-ass director, plus if they even nail half the cast they're talking to, this could be a really fine inventive feature.

Also, sidenote - it's not directed by a Sergio, it's produced by one. Director is listed as Andrew McKenzie, who I cannot figure out is.

Anyway. That's it.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel