With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

Call of Juarez 2- Console Western game

Postby Redwing » Fri May 22, 2009 2:52 am

Dunno if you guys have seen this yet (I looked briefly over this board to check), but there's a new Western game in the works and it looks pretty interesting. Take a look...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/1012/0

Also, Red Steel 2 for the Wii seems to have some Western elements as well. Maybe the West is on a cultural upswing?
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri May 22, 2009 3:03 am

I have the first CoJ & it was quite good, though I never got multiplayer working. The original was touted for it's visuals & even used as a benchmark for hardware sites for many months. I will probably get the sequel AFTER I get a new pc, whenever that is. Even the first one on medium settings is a little laggy for me.
CoJ reminds me of SG in so many ways. I remember several posts in their official forum where people stated it was "a much prettier version of Western Quake3 & quite likely that the devs got many ideas from WQ3." I would tend to agree. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Kouma » Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 am

Like Red, I will need a new PC to play this game... too bad, I can see some explosive action in the trailer, and I'll cant "Duck you Sucker!" :(

Theres a sequel in developement for the console game Red Dead Revolver, it will be called Red Dead Redemption. The first game had a lot of Spaghetti Western characteristics, and classic movie musics! :P
Hope a PC version of the game will come out too...
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri May 22, 2009 5:45 am

Kouma wrote:Theres a sequel in developement for the console game Red Dead Revolver, it will be called Red Dead Redemption.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:55 am

I watched the trailer on steam and it did look pretty cool, MP BR was featured. Have to admit my mouse was hovering over the purchase button but I am still not sure. Good review here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf_6F4rv ... re=related

The wild west legends mp mode is a great idea. End of the day it looks peachy but I know my system just wouldn't be able to play it at any reasonable level with all the candy enabled, I may have to get it for my 360 but I never really enjoy fps's on a console :)
"But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco"
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby FisherofMen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm

My son, who plays as "SbG Dodo" or simply "o" on SG bought this game. Sadly his machine will not run it, so he has to use mine...when I let him. 8)

I have tried the single player once and the multiplayer once. Looks good but I dont know enough about it yet to give a good review on it.

I will check it out some more and let you guys know!

TheDuke
FisherofMen
Drifter

Postby Lucky Bro » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 pm

The single is very cinematic and worth to see. Also ODE is still present, so it is moving nice. Characters are really nice. Thomas looks like Cowboy Marlboro. Who doesn't liked the movie back then?
And MP is trash because of careless of developers. They haven't included dedicated server. So whole western online gaming world is waiting for them and mainly have to play clan wars in hamachi networks. And developers instead of good job do release as downloadable content two maps.
Balance is pretty lame too. Half of classes are useless. Still the idea about money system instead of frags is great. Manhunt is awesome mode to play with friends. And Legends is not new, but better than others. At least you don't have to wait until all campers on the map will die.
Some MP maps even have horses to ride in Legends mode. Even with lame horses it feels cool.
Again if only developers will took more care - the game will be really great MP western game. As well as many other western games. Until then - there is no good western MP game.

And the Wet game is already at the market. Would like to see. I don't have X-box, but I really liked Tarantino style and girl with nice guns is always nice to take a look at. Hope someday I'll check it out.
Redemption should be soon. GTA IV had nice engine, so since Redemption uses the same - should worth to see. Again for now X-box only. But as with GTA they have to do it for PC. So, keep hope.

Have a good day.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby =Chico= » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:04 am

I downloaded the demo for COJ2 and tried it out. It had graphics that were good but reminiscent of the first game. The aiming system felt "arcadish" to me. It did not feel to me to be as fine tuned and granular as Smokin' Guns. Also weapon loading was ridiculous, like really way too fast.

Another interesting game to check out, non-western, is Batman Arkham Asylum. Sort of Max Payne in Nature but some serious graphics and moves. Third person style game. Still the graphics and movements are what caught my eye. They have a demo for download on steam and maybe elsewhere. Dunno if I would buy it but worth checking out.
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:09 pm

First Chrome (engine of first CoJ) was pretty lame to compare with the new one. They did great job by polishing it. And game is very good optimized for the graphics it shows (there were doubts before the release, but after - th game is very good optimized).
Aim is pretty fine, btw. It represent your moving activity, what weapon you care and the aim is dynamic. You can't hit a thing (I'm talking about tough players, not guys for one-day - them you can hit in any game) without good knowledge of weapons.
And concerning opponent highlighting and auto-aim in akimbo mode - both originally were made as optional in MP. But again somehow devs don't care about players and this option isn't working in config files. Still even with these turned on - you have to have good own aim to win. Kids crying that this system makes them shoot better, but that isn't true (and most good games show it). If you have good own aim - you'll get advance, if not - whatever aim system is there you'll lose. Point is to have equal environment to have fun.
And SP is not about aim at all. SP is about cinematic, characters, it is a story. A story worth to watch because it is done very good.
I don't want to compare SG and CoJ. Very different levels of quality. And mostly that quality is about money.
The worst thing developers did is forgot about players who wants to play seriously online. And it is second time they did it. The same story with first CoJ. Still there are fans, but it is nothing without official support.

New batman is mostly stealth thing. I don't like such. But the story they've created in comics and later show in last movie (dark knight, especially in dialogs) - great. I like the fact that they are trying to think about morality. Still it is just comics.
Payne is on the way too, btw. The same RAGE engine as GTA IV and Redemption. Worth to see.
What I would recommend to check is new Red Faction (even demo if there is any). Great buildings destruction. No time to play it for story/MP, but the physics they've done - great. I always like when people trying to do something serious.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Any one of you guys playing CoJ 2 online (on ps3)? I'm thinking of getting it some time after christmas, and would really like to see people still playing it, and especially people from around here :wink:
Don't like what 'Bro says about there not being dedicated servers though. Got Condemened 2 the other day, and it was fun online, but you really had to find someone who hosted a server.

Oh, and Batman: Arkham Asylum... lovely game :D
I absolutely love the stealth parts (sorry Bro, and we should really have a conversation about this "just comics" thing...)
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel