With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

[Tut]Compiling SG v1.1 & v1.0 With Visual Studio

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 so if someone uses a different version and it doesn't work let me know.

So the first thing needed to compile with Visual Studio is of course Visual Studio which you can only get if you paid for it or if you are a student.
If you are a student you can get it here.
If you do not pay or you're not a student, you can use Visual C++ Express 2008.

Make sure you let it install the Microsoft SDKs if there is that option.

After installing this you will need a couple other SDKs to compile correctly.
Microsoft Directx SDK (I'm using the February 2006 release but the others should work also.)
OpenAL SDK

INSTALL THESE SDKs

FINALLY WE NEED THE SOURCE CODE ITSELF. :)
There are two ways that you can get the source code:
1. Download it here
(it seems that the direct download of the source is not up to date and is not available at the moment)
Use a subversion client like Tortoise SVN to keep
updated with the latest revisions of SG 1.1 & 1.0 (if you have a 64 bit comp you need TortoiseSVN 64 bit)
As Torhu said, development is now going on in the 1.1 Branch so if you want to see what is the most recent development you will be using the 1.1 source.

If you downloaded the source code directly, skip down to the COMPILING section.
To get the source code using TortoiseSVN first install Tortoise. After it is installed, create a folder wherever you want the SG code to be. Name it anything you want. Then right click on this folder and click SVN Checkout.

Then copy this URL: https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... anches/1.1 into the "URL of repository" box.
If you want to try something with the v1.0 Source, then use this URL:
https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... uns/trunk/

Everything else should be set up like my screenshot by default.
Click Ok and watch as Tortoise SVN "Checks Out" or in other words Downloads the latest revision to the SG 1.1 or SG 1.0 source. (Whichever you chose to use)

COMPILING:
Now you have the source code and all the SDKs that you need to compile.
Open up your SG Source Code folder and open up the code folder. There should be a Visual Studio Project named smokinguns. Open This.
Once Visual Studio or Express is up and running you need to set it up to find the SDKs.
Click Tools->Options.

Then go to Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories.
Now in the Show Directories box make sure it says include. Then hit the Folder icon for a new line and on that new line click the "..." to browse for the directories you need. Add the SDK Directories for OpenAL and DirectX. Make sure its the SDK\include folders.

Now do the same thing for the Library files. Make sure you select the folder for your platform.

Once your done with adding these Directories click OK.
Hit Build->Build Solution.

It should compile with no errors or warnings.
Now you can start coding on Smokin' Guns! :D

P.S. If anyone finds a mistake or has trouble don't be afraid to post :)
Last edited by Sucalakafufu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Looks about right to me. :D Thanks!
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Wow, this is great. Thank you!
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:15 pm

thanks for your responses guys! :) i hope this can help more coders to get into coding for SG quicker! :D
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 pm

By the way, the current development is taking place in the 1.1 branch, not in trunk. I guess we should merge it back into the trunk, but that can wait until after the release. It's a bit disruptive, since everyone would have to switch their working copies over to the new path, or do a complete check out.

https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... anches/1.1
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 am

torhu wrote:By the way, the current development is taking place in the 1.1 branch, not in trunk. I guess we should merge it back into the trunk, but that can wait until after the release. It's a bit disruptive, since everyone would have to switch their working copies over to the new path, or do a complete check out.

https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... anches/1.1

are the SDKs and such needed to compile the 1.1 branch the same as for 1.0? if not what has changed? then i could probly edit this Tut to be for the 1.1 branch :)

EDIT: it seems that it uses the same SDKs cuz i just got it to compile no problem :D I edited my Tut :)
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Re: [Tut]Compiling SG v1.1 & v1.0 With Visual Studio

Postby bettyrose » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 am

When I try to compile both the versions with the Visual studio, I am getting an error log. I have tried a few times and I am getting the error log different from the previous one. I do not why such an issue is happening. Is there some compatibility issue?

Bettyrose
bettyrose
Newcomer

Re: [Tut]Compiling SG v1.1 & v1.0 With Visual Studio

Postby /dev/random » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Please provide the following information
  • version of Smokin' Guns source code
  • version of Visual Studio
  • exact error log
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Code