With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

saving settings issue.

Postby BloodWaste » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 am

Every time i click the game to play I HAVE to raise resolution again, raise the texture quality, etc. I Also have to re-type my nickname, my character. Next time i want to play, i need to do this all over again. help?

Thanks
BloodWaste
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:34 am

Hi. Which OS are you using?
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby BloodWaste » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 am

windows vista
BloodWaste
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 am

Try modifying the shortcut to "Run as Administrator" (Under compatibility) and to see if this would work right now, before you modify the shortcut, simply right click the file and "Run as Administrator". The configuration file would be written to C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns, and in most cases, such as yours, the fact is: 1.0 does not support the alternate and new default configuration directory which Vista's UAC feature would be happy with.

You can run as administrator as a workaround, and later upgrade to the current development version binary of the 1.1 engine. (Please help us test our new binaries)

I have them hosted at http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/binaries/current where dependent on your hardware, you would chose the corresponding executable file under the win32/x86 directory index.

If you have AMD Athlon, Duron, or Thunderbird class, use generic.
If you have later AMD Athlon XP, use sse.
If you have Pentium II, III, or early IV, use generic.
If you have later Pentium IV, Core(1)/2, post-2005 Xeon, Opteron, Atom, Phenom, or i7, use sse2.

Simply place the downloaded smokinguns11 executable into Smokin' Guns program files directory, and confirm the move action, then creating a new shortcut to the smokinguns11.exe file, renaming the shortcut itself to something more pleasant, such as "Smokin' Guns (1.1)". You also need the win32/x86/shared/dll/SDL.dll file in the Smokin' Guns directory as well. You can safely ignore the rest of the dll, asm, vm, and debug files.

A copy of the default.cfg file will be copied from the default one located in C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns to the C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\SmokinGuns directory after first run of the 1.1 version. You can later modify with notepad or another editor to fit your needs, then see if it works for you.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:51 pm

make sure that the Smokin' Guns folder is not set to read only.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Pardner, that has nothing to do with it. The installer would had determined that anyway, and it isn't a default. The issue is the Windows ACL (Access Control Lists) regulates all Program Files stuff to read-only mode, with SYSTEM or Administrators account ownership, barring user write without implicitly running the application as administrator, hence the necessity that with 1.1 it now writes and copies the configuration file to a user writable area.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:57 pm

i mentioned that because i had the same problem on my Vista machine and that seemed to fix it. I kept getting console errors "could not write to q3config.cfg"... which of course BloodWaste has not mentioned.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:24 pm

if its folder permissions that might be messing with it. would it be possible to use cygwin or a linux shell of that sort to change the permissions? im not sure if im thinking of this in the right way but if all else fails i "hack" my windows with linux :P
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:58 am

Sucalakafufu: yes, but not directly.

See this website for a 3rd party solution. However speaking, one can use PowerShell or explorer itself to do it as well.

There could darn well be a program included with Vista or newer (Probably more likely Server 2008) to do this, but it's arguably powerless if any of Microsoft's past attempts at command-line fs utilities are an indication. PowerShell is handy, even though it is a strange beast, because it provides many of the more important things people are used to having on UNIX-like systems, but then again you can use cygwin, but it does not interface like a Windows application, and thus will not suit the purpose.

To remove margin for error, one would want to reset the permissions to blank slate, adding on permissions to it.

For normal users, just right click, properties on the Smokin' Guns program files directory, switch to the security tab, click advanced, edit, uncheck "Include Inheritable permissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions from this object" then remove, add, type "Administrators", ok, check the topmost left box of Full control, press ok, then add, type your username (eg: sparcdr), ok, and topmost left box of Full control, ok, ok, ok, ok. The dialog will disappear. That should really be it.
sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel