With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
The place for eye candy.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Coup'George

Another question

Postby Undertaker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:42 am

Since I'm new here, I have to ask, as I too use a lot of Gimp for things. I've created many things like the Alien Arena icon\symbol , Malwarebytes icon, among MANY others including being able to create textures. I would not mind helping as I love this game and think it's got extreme potential beyond what it's at now even,"not that it's not good the way it is".

So that said, if there isn't a texture out there, I will find a way to make one. If I did so, would I simply use the tutorial? Does it matter that I'm in Windows 7 X64 when it comes to making a texture? What textures are needed? I would be more than glad to help.
Undertaker
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 am

Thanks for your interest. I think Joe Kari has a bunch of new textures on the way, but I'm a little behind the news on that. Maybe he'll chime in here with a little more info?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi Undertaker,

You may find everything usefull for you in this tutorial:
viewtopic.php?t=1287

Your Operating System is not a problem, you have to focus on only few things:
* all texture should be saved in JPG, except those who have an alpha channel -> TGA
* all texture should have a size that is a power of 2, like 256x512 or 1024x1024
* tilable texture (90% of texture are tilable) should be seamless
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Hi Undertaker,
* all texture should be saved in JPG, except those who have an alpha channel -> TGA

Just a precision, PNG will be supported in next released engine and then you'll be able to use it in place of TGA format.

About the next release, we are finalizing a beta to be sure that engine is good enough for us. And I hope to start the beta very soon...
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Undertaker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks. I will read over some tutorials and such. Glad to hear png will be implemented, it's one of my favorite formats to work with. :)
Undertaker
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:19 pm

How well does transparency work with PNGs? Full transparency?
If I remember right, the engine does not support progressive JPEGs?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Right, progressive jpeg does not work.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Undertaker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:36 pm

/dev/random wrote:How well does transparency work with PNGs? Full transparency?
If I remember right, the engine does not support progressive JPEGs?

PNG typically supports full transparency, I use it a lot for items with transparent backgrounds, although I can't speak for the game side and have had to create tga files for most games, not png.

Here's a png image that I very quickly made with no background... once again, in game though, not sure.

Undertaker
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 am

Some of the textures in "*/Smokin' Guns/baseq3/pak0.pk3" need to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't know which ones are needed, nor do I know if any have been recreated. Maybe someone else can knows. The baseq3 is not our content (read the pak0.README) and we would like to remove it in future releases. Not sure what your up for but this would be a huge help.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 am

He he, I've done a little work on that some month ago. We have a private ticket for that (check our private Trac Pardner). I'll transfer that ticket publicly during the beta. Maybe this will be the start to a new SG release before ChristMas, and Undertaker is a friend of Santa Claus.
:D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Undertaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am

Well, I will definitely see what I can do, would love to help. Tomorrow, I am hoping to have some spare time so I will look into the pak and see what needs to be done.
Undertaker
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Undertaker wrote:
/dev/random wrote:How well does transparency work with PNGs? Full transparency?

PNG typically supports full transparency

I'm aware of that, my question was targeted at how well the engine supports PNG, i.e. whether we can have full transparency or only a single transparent color in game.
Thus, my question is still unanswered :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Undertaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:07 pm

I looked at the pak0.pk3 file, I think I can handle those. A couple of questions first...

I can unpack every one of the jpg and tga files so far with no problem, are the sizes and formats going to remain the same? Plus, I noticed there is no option for other cross hairs. I can make numerous cross hairs without a problem, "centered" as well but not sure if you are going to have an option to change them.

Lastly, if\when I get these textures remade, how do you want me to send them? Is it possible for me to test them if I replace a pak file?

Thanks
Undertaker
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 am

Undertaker wrote:Lastly, if\when I get these textures remade, how do you want me to send them? Is it possible for me to test them if I replace a pak file?

You can copy the contents of the pak files into open directories (eg textures, models, etc). Then when you are ready to test you can pak them up and name it something like "zUndertaker.pk3" the little "z" will amke it so that your content will be loaded last, thus over writing the old files. This way you dont have to modify any existing pk3s and you can still play on the pure servers.

/dev/random wrote:Thus, my question is still unanswered

When I read the PNG I was currous as well. I did some research, but I was unable to find any information. The good news is that no current maps use PNG (obviously), so when 1.1 comes out (hopefully soon) we cant test it and get a tutorial up. I didn't dig too deep on the research. Also, I bet this is something we could test right now with the 1.1 code. I just wonder if the q3map2 needs to be modified as well.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Undertaker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:02 am

EDIT 2: Not working. I have replaced texture files in all instances of that certain texture, yet it loads the default. I am obviously missing something.
Undertaker
Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to Texture Artists

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel