With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Postby Pardner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:04 pm

either smokinguns/pak0.pk3 or baseq3/pak0.pk3 are missing or corrupt. Make sure you have both.

Just curious, you did download Smokin' Guns 1.0 from here and then downloaded the beta files from this thread. The beta files are only an update from 1.0 to 1.1b1.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:19 pm

tmp wrote:Hey sparc.

Thank you, works well. I am now at engine 1.1_SVN365. I got a lot of
Code: Select all
WARNING: unhandled AL error: invalid name
s, though. Could not connect it to anything in game. Plays well with jeuxlinux.

From now on I will also use the appropriate way of posting a bug, like described by Tequila, sorry about that.

Great news last build is working.

About the AL error, can you report your console output ? I'm interested by the sound initialization.
Does the error come soon ? Always during the game ? At a regular interval ?

Btw, ioQ3 team is currently fixing stuff in OpenAL handling so you may bu luckier soon ;)
Tequila
SG Team

error on ubuntu 9.10

Postby birebbi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Hello :-)
On ubuntu 9.10 error is
-cut
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
picmip: 1
texture bits: 32
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: disabled
Initializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
------ Initializing Sound ------
Loading "libopenal.so.0"...
^1ERROR: Could not open "sound/feedback/hit.wav"
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Can't load default sound effect sound/feedback/hit.wav

AL lib: ALc.c:1368: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:1345: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context

thanks
birebbi
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:42 am

Once my server gets back up check out this for [at the moment] r366.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 am

Try also to start the game with "+set s_alDriver libopenal.so.1" as this is now the default and I think Ubuntu just only has this one.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Juaro Juarez wrote:So Torhu the correct error is: "Can't load default sound/feedback/hit.wav
.Copy console to clipboard?" Any Better now?

Looks like are missing the baseq3 folder. That file is in baseq3/pak0.pk3.

Make sure that when you install the beta, you install it over an 1.0 installation, because the 1.0 files are needed too.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby MrSmithAndWesson197 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:12 pm

Context - I am trying to get Beta 1.1b working on a Vista Core 2 Duo laptop.

When I ran "smokinguns.exe" I recieved the following message:
"Can't load default sound effect sound/feedback/hit.wav. Copy console log to clipboard?"
Option Buttons: Yes/No

I clicked yes.

Then taking advice from the second post in this thread, I ran "smokinguns.x86.exe" but received the same error message as above.

I clicked yes again.

I then ran "smokinguns_dedicated.exe" and up came a dos(?) command type window, which mentioned something would be done "upon restart".

So what should I be looking for to know whether I have the beta version working? Will it have v1.1b at the bottom of the startup screen of Smokin Guns, where v1.0 now is?

Thanks for all of your help! I am loving SG! 8)

And it seems like the beta will support a greater number of players per server? Because I would like to try playing with more than 10 bots at a time in single-player (I tried changing maxplayers to 30 in the default.cfg file, but that didn't work)

Warm Regards,
MrSmithAndWesson197
MrSmithAndWesson197
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:28 pm

MrSmithAndWesson197 wrote:Context - I am trying to get Beta 1.1b working on a Vista Core 2 Duo laptop.

When I ran "smokinguns.exe" I recieved the following message:
"Can't load default sound effect sound/feedback/hit.wav. Copy console log to clipboard?"
Option Buttons: Yes/No

I clicked yes.

Then taking advice from the second post in this thread, I ran "smokinguns.x86.exe" but received the same error message as above.

I clicked yes again.

I then ran "smokinguns_dedicated.exe" and up came a dos(?) command type window, which mentioned something would be done "upon restart".

So what should I be looking for to know whether I have the beta version working? Will it have v1.1b at the bottom of the startup screen of Smokin Guns, where v1.0 now is?

Thanks for all of your help! I am loving SG! 8)

You should read "v1.1b1" at the bottom right of the startup screen. If you read "1.0", this means you didn't put/get the "sg_pak1.pk3" in the "Smokin' Guns\smokinguns" subfolder.

About your "sound/feedback/hit.wav" problem, this should mean you don't have the "baseq3\pak0.pk3" file... So I guess now you didn't unzip the full 1.1b1 into a Smokin' Guns 1.0 installation folder.

Can you resume how you tried to install the beta ?

Also, about smokinguns_dedicated.exe, this is only to install a dedicated server under windows. So you should not use it unless you're trying to install a LAN or public dedicated server ;)

MrSmithAndWesson197 wrote:And it seems like the beta will support a greater number of players per server? Because I would like to try playing with more than 10 bots at a time in single-player (I tried changing maxplayers to 30 in the default.cfg file, but that didn't work)

Warm Regards,
MrSmithAndWesson197

Yes the engine can support much more players. Actually I set up my own dedicated public servers to accept up to 32 online players...
But to achieve what you want, you should set different cvars:
Code: Select all
 1. sv_maxclients   : the maximum number of connected clients
 2. g_maxGameClients: the maximum number of playing clients
 3. bot_minplayers  : the total number of bot and human players

You can try to set these 3 values to the same one. I tested without problem until 32. I was able to set until 60, but sometime this can trigger some problem. I didn't try 64 but this is really the max hardcoded value... Btw ioQ3 made improvement few weeks ago which can improve that support...
I didn't really tried since then ;)
Tell us about your experiments.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:33 pm

MrSmithAndWesson197 wrote:So what should I be looking for to know whether I have the beta version working? Will it have v1.1b at the bottom of the startup screen of Smokin Guns, where v1.0 now is?

You need to download the full version of 1.0 here:

The beta download is only an upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Crank » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:00 pm

i simply unzipped smokin guns and tried all icons^^ :D
sorry for my english :)
Crank
Drifter

Postby MrSmithAndWesson197 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 am

Ok. Thanks for your help so far. You certainly give clear instructions which are easy to understand, which is good.

I didn't fully understand what files to copy where from your original post since you mentioned "installing" the v1.1b files. I think of installing as running an installer program. I had just tried running the .exe files from the folder I downloaded to an arbritrary folder, thinking it was some installer that automatically installed v1.1b.

Anyway, I finally just worked out what you meant (this is the first beta version I have ever installed of any game, so I am only an enthusiastic beginner).

So what you do to install 1.1b is you extract the Beta 1.1b folder that you can download from the first post in this thread to the folder where you installed Smokin' Guns on your computer (usually Program Files/Smokin' Guns or whatever you named yours). You then agree to copy and replace all of the files that clash with naming and agree to merge the "smokinguns" folder name clash that arises.

I hope the above is clear - let me know if it isn't! I then ran Smokin' Guns by the usual shortcut and it brought up the Beta 1.1b version (see the 1.1b on the bottom of the startup screen as explained earlier in this thread by one of the helpful chaps who runs Smokin' Guns).

Note that for me, the first run of v1.1b brings up Smokin' Guns in windowed mode at the smallest resolution. You can easily change this in the "Settings" in Smokin' Guns by setting the resolution you desire and fullscreen mode.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! 8)

I will keep you updated on any of my developments I get up to that you might find interesting.

Warmest Regards,
MrSmithAndWesson197 :wink:
MrSmithAndWesson197
Newcomer

Previous

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel