With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

Its your lucky day...

Postby Alpha Red » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi,
Most, if not all of you, will not know who I am so I'll keep the intro short.
I basically model and animate and have odne so for a fewprojects (many of which have failed/died) so I thought I'd give you guys a hand modeling and animation wise.
My goal is to replace every weapon with a brand new model, skin, and animation. Hopefully it all goes as planned :D.
Anyways, I'll get right to the main attraction. The Remington '58.
Its relatively low-poly (~850 quads = ~1700 tris) and although it does look 'blocky' in that render, it isn't. Just I prefer rendering 'blocky' (or solid as Blender calls it) rather than smoothed because it screws with the normals.
So any crits or comments are moe than welcomed. If you see inaccuracies please inform me because I'm not the greatest with these older weaponry (mostly do modern stuff).
Alpha Red
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Impressive work. Since SG-team is missing an active modeller/animator at the moment, your work will surely be a big addition in my opinion.

Just out of interest: Are you aware of the discussion regarding adding a Zoom-Option to the Rifles (Winchester and Colt Lightning) ? If this zoom-option would be implemented, it'd need some animating aswell. And that's aswell the reason why this idea is stalled right now -> no animator.

I guess there are more ideas stalled at the very moment due to missing a modeller/animator.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Alpha Red & nice renders. 8)
We're actually happy with most of the current weapons/animations, but if you can make improvements then your work is certainly interesting to us. So, you specialize in weapons... but do you also work with player models? New player models (and hands) have been on our wish list for a very long time.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on IRC in the evenings. Don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can do to help you.
If you see inaccuracies please inform me

The back of the cylinders (where you would load bullets) look odd. Should be flat.

Most of the current models are pretty accurate representations of the real thing. You can see them here:
template.php?page=14
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:39 pm

The percussion cap configuration for the 58 remmy (before conversions) did have a rather rounded looking shape. The conversion cylinders had to be plumb of course. :)
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/589_1858remmy_1.jpg][timg]589_1858remmy_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby wurstsuppe23 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 am

Alpha Red is it possible, that you are the guy from Code 43: UW? That would be great and your model looks nice, needs just a bit of texture :D
wurstsuppe23
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for the "code43: UW" project link wurstsuppe23 ;)
I wasn't aware of such good initiative.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Alpha Red » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Good eyes wurstsuppe23. I am the same Alpha Red as there. I'm doing this as a project on the side. Makes for good exercise :D.
Alpha Red
Drifter

Postby wurstsuppe23 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:28 pm

That is good to hear, so you put your work in to two projekts I really like - just make a lot of fancy models :)
wurstsuppe23
Newcomer

Postby Alpha Red » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 am

Sorry if it seems liek I've forgotten about this, I have but now I'm getting it done. I'll be starting the texturing stage tonight if not sometime next week.
I'll probably just leave the animations as they are and just replace the default model with this one. Will keep it simpler and reduces the time to get it finished :D.
Alpha Red
Drifter

Postby BlackMagicSS » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:04 am

hey man do you think you could do a character model for us?
BlackMagicSS
Drifter

Postby Alpha Red » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm

I don't want to promise anything, as you can see by this model, but I might. It would have to wait for a bit though as I'm swamped with work and this is about all I can do for now in between midterms and assignments to keep my sanity.
Alpha Red
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 am

No problem Alpha. You're a great asset and we're patient people. So long as we have some good players who care, you're free to have a few mishaps and delays. Don't take kindness for weakness though, we DO want to see your work!
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Alpha Red » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Here's just a shot from in Blender with the WIP texture. This is very early as its only like 1 or 2 hrs work in.
Ignore the little white specs on the edges as those are jsut artifacts from Blender and are not part of the texture :D.
Also, any tips or crits or comments are welcome. As most of oyu know more about this 'era' of weapons than I do.
Alpha Red
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Hmm, nice work so far! There could be drilled carvings on the grips as some starting from the late 1880's had to stylize and make unique.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Alpha Red » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am

Ya, I know the grips are not metal, its only the base colour. So it in no way represents the final product. I'll be doing some hand-painted wood or something cool like that. :D
Alpha Red
Drifter

Next

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel