With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Postby sparcdr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

torhu wrote:Sure, but only regular Windows automatic updates are required, no msvc redistributables. Right?
Typically there aren't, but look at the recent ATL update which applied to both MSVC client and the compiler itself on platforms dating back to 2000 with VC7 (.NET 2003). Typically XP users have to manually run it, or we have to see if it's legal to ship the MSVC library dll (msvcrt90.dll) with SG instead from now on. Vista and 7 users will receive updates for VC runtime with Windows Update.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:30 am

I think I'll just install XP SP2 in virtualbox and what happens when I try to run SG on it.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 am

torhu wrote:I think I'll just install XP SP2 in virtualbox and what happens when I try to run SG on it.

It won't work stock, have fun with that. Most applications made since 2008 bundle the VC++ runtime with their installer anyway, what's the bother? I will not rewind my security patches just to suit a barely on life support OS. It works by simply installing the runtime, which can be legally bundled with our installer if necessary. Vista and 7 do not need anything extra.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:41 am

I tested SG 1.1b3 on a clean install of WinXP SP2, no updates or anything. The problem was that Visual C++ has embedded a manifest at the end of the exe, which makes it require some CRT files that it doesn't really use. It's fixed in svn r443.

In other words, a stock install of XP will be able run SG 1.1 just fine. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:05 am

I've bundled the two VCRT dlls with the content SVN alongside openal and sdl. In the SVN commit comment is a link to an MSDN article which should satisfy legal questions.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Harlock » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I found the same thing like one of the posters before me. On my old rig. a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 single core, with an ATi x1950pro 512MB and 2 GB ram i used to run all versions of SG without a hitch, but the newest beta 3 doesn't run very smooth on most maps. I have checked my settings and i have all the same settings as before, nothing special activated.
Harlock
Drifter

Postby Twig » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:59 pm

@Harlock

Did you try what Dowoshek did? i had the same problem that you have now and it was fixed by installing the VC++ 2005 redistributable (dowoshek posted the link in this thread) and some other basic updates that i had kept postponing.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Previous

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel