With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 am

I installed the full beta and the new exec. and I get the unpure client, bad pk3 files note when I try to join the beta br server. I've reloaded everything, etc. but it won't join. ??
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:57 am

Did you download Plate's newest map? Its on the test servers now.
viewtopic.php?p=16460#16460

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:09 am

Ya, I have that as well. All the other servers work fine, but not the 3 beta servers. Maybe there is one pk3 in there that shouldn't be?, but I don't know what. I started removing pk3's one by one, but that didn't work so good. With all the extra stuff we've tried, knives, little maps, etc. I'm not sure what SHOULD be there. :)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 pm

TheLuckyTaco wrote:Hey guys, I downloaded the update from 1.3 to 1.4. I tried to connect to the 1.4 beta server, and it said "Could not load map br_train." How would I get this back? =(

You may also try to activate "autodownload" option. Also for this way, if it doesn't work try to fix "cl_cURLLib" cvar. On windows, it should be "libcurl-4.dll" and on other platform it depends... Try to change "3" to "4" in the related name or "4" to "3" in the other case... Btw you need to have curl library installed on your platform.

@ChainLightnin': I checked my logs and it seems you're trying to connect with the v1.1b2 client... Are you sure to use the right Smokin'Guns installation ? Maybe you just need to update a link ?
:D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 pm

:oops: :D Embarassing! You were right. I forgot to update the version # in Monster Browser. (obtenir âgé?) Thanks!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:47 pm

About new version of Alamo available from this thread, I am really curious about the framerate diff between with or without farclip. At some place in the map, it boost my FPS by 20 on my computer (I get 70 FPS in the worst spot of the map without far-clipping, 90 FPS with farclipping enable). I guess that older computer will gain more FPS, but I don't have anything to test it ;)

To disable it, open the console and type "/cg_farclip 0", to enable it again type "/cg_farclip 1".

As a side note, I'm using a combination of far-clipping and close-clipping on some models (for example the canon, and some barrel), so when you go away from them, they are turning to lowpoly models.

For those who have faster computer, you can tune farclipping value, with the cvar "/cg_farclipValue" (default is 1), if you set it to 2, farclipping occurs 2 time farther. I suggest you to use this value rather than disabling farclipping. Good values are between 1 and 1.5, no needs to have a value greater than 2.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:07 pm

The difference I get is about 5-15 frames only, but actually I get much bigger difference than I could expect from gaining these few additional frames per second. I mean: with "cg_farclip 1" the map is quite smooth and playable and with "cg_farclip 0" it's very laggy and unplayable.

BTW, nice to see those many improvements on the map, especially the ones that will be helpful against campers, because it is/was the main drawback of this map.

Ohh... and is it possible to jump on the Saloon's roof now? I tried few times but couldn't because of the slippery surface?
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby SmokeyBacon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Yeah the saloon roof seems to be clipped off, I cant even spec above it. That might be a bad call IMO, it gves the defenders a bit more cover from robbers on the fortress. Also, I see a lot of lightning issues, particularly in the church, and around the pond. There are blue and red patches and light seems to be leaking through the bottom of the walls in the church.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 am

So many classy graphics additions! (cool church doors, etc.)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:52 pm

That's right, you can't go on the saloon roof ;)

Also, I see a lot of lightning issues, particularly in the church, and around the pond. There are blue and red patches and light seems to be leaking through the bottom of the walls in the church.

You have either set your texture detail to medium or low, or you have enable texture compression. If your memory card have enough memory, disable texture compression and set texture detail to high.
I'm using an external hi-resolution lightmap, this king of lightmap are processed by the engine just like any other texture.
(Maybe I should add "nopicmip" to my shader to prevent from low texture detail... but nothing can be done to prevent texture compression... )
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Yes, that's right, you should disable "Compress texture" option to have it perfect. Btw you'll lost approx 20% of FPS, depending on your system and video card.

On my side, I just noticed one stuff: it seems the stone texture doesn't have the same looking below the church and on steps just in front of it:
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/1560_shot0045_1.jpg][timg]1560_shot0045_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
The texture seems darker below the church.

Btw the map is great and looks very nice ;)

About the cg_farclip, I got only a lost of 10% when disabled and you can see the effect other the crate in the market. Btw for this crates, I find the low-level model too dark so it is really visible when farclip is just applied. It's less visible other models inside the house.

Also, I don't see any shadow for the models outside the fort: the horse, stones and cactus. Also cannon over ramparts doesn't have a shadow, but the ones at the entrance do.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Wow, I don't have that thing in front of the church 0_o

About the cg_farclip, I got only a lost of 10% when disabled and you can see the effect other the crate in the market. Btw for this crates, I find the low-level model too dark so it is really visible when farclip is just applied. It's less visible other models inside the house.

I was pretty sure that fast computer would not benefit a lot from far-clipping.
On your computer, you can probably set cg_farclipValue to 1.5

For the model inside the house... well... look at them again !
They don't have a low-poly variant, they are just removed :D

Also, I don't see any shadow for the models outside the fort: the horse, stones and cactus. Also cannon over ramparts doesn't have a shadow, but the ones at the entrance do.

Outside the fort, I didn't use external lightmap (use too much texture memory for a place where you don't really play)... So shadow are very very blurry. The cactus and the horse are just to small for this amount of blur.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Of course the church steps are mortered stone, as with grout. The ground stones are ungrouted pavers. Quite typical. But otherwise I don't have that big dark band in the screenshot either. :?: :)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby eräjorma » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 am

trying to go to

http://wmd.game-host.org/smokin-guns-or ... es/current

browser gives me an error message:

"Not Found

The requested URL /smokin-guns-org/downloads/binaries/current was not found on this server."

???
eräjorma
Drifter

Postby dowoshek » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 am

eräjorma wrote:trying to go to

http://wmd.game-host.org/smokin-guns-or ... es/current

browser gives me an error message:

"Not Found

The requested URL /smokin-guns-org/downloads/binaries/current was not found on this server."

???

Same question from me :) I was going to try SG at OpenSolaris yesterday but Solaris-build was on that page right?

BTW, is it possible to run SG 1.0 at OpenSolaris or only 1.1?
dowoshek
Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel