With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Private game for friends

Postby rustybolts » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

I have been trying to set up a private game over the internet for me and my friends to meet up and play. I tried to do this from inside smoking guns menu (multiplayer - create). When the day came to play no one could see my game to join. What am i doing wrong and how do i achieve this?
rustybolts
Newcomer

Postby /dev/random » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:51 pm

You need to set "Dedicated: Internet" and open a port in your firewalls. By default this is 27960 UDP.

You may also want to customize the settings with a red dot.
"Max rate" is the bandwith per client in bytes/s. You might want to set this accordingly to your upload speed and the number of clients you want to serve.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Here is a tutorial from PlanetQuake. The tutorial is for Quake3 but everything still applies to Smokin' Guns.

I don't think you need to have a Dedicated Server (in reference to the tutorial): I think you could get by with using a Listening Server. With dedicated servers, you need a single computer to host the game server while you and your friends connect with different computers. With listen server, the game server is being run on the same computer being used to play.

As /dev/random mentioned, you will need to open port 27960 on the host's firewall. Look into "Port Forwarding" for you specific router and forward port 27960 to the host computer's IP address.

Pardner
SG Team

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel