With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

monster

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 am

What would you look for first if your trusty Monster Browser showed NO servers, all of a sudden for no obvious reason? (And your dsl is working fine). :?:
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Is quake3master down again?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I always check this online server browser. If that shows no servers, I assume that the master is down. At the moment it shows 20 servers.

It's annoying that MB just dumps the old server list if the master is down, I've been meaning to fix that for a while. It should just notify the user that it can't reach the master, and then continue using the old server list. :|
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't get it. I also show that the master is working by the xq monitor, but my Monster just says, "getting new list from master" and then no servers. I thought maybe it was my dsl, but I seem to get everything else, like that master server list. :?
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Hm..unless you've installed some new firewall or internet security suite lately that might block MB, I don't know what to tell you. MB itself doesn't access the Internet, it does that indirectly through qstat.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:53 am

Never seen this before. Even the Smokin' Guns game browser works, but my Monster won't load anything. It is allowed in Windows firewall even. Should I uninstall Monster 7 and start over?
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 pm

You could try deleting MB's config files (settings.ini and mods.ini), as reinstalling won't overwrite those. They are in "%appdata%\Monster Browser". Other than that, you could look at the last few entries in the log file, which is "%localappdata%\Monster Browser\log.txt". (I think that path won't work in XP, so you have to find the file manually there.)

I can't see how reinstalling could help though, you should be getting an error message if there's a problem. Doesn't hurt to try, though.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:54 am

Just noticed in appdata that "master3.idsoftware.com.xml" is being blocked by internet explorer. Is that the problem? Not sure why it would suddenly be blocked if it is.
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:27 am

I hadn't used MB for several days.... probably since before this topic was birthed. Anyway, I just ran MB to see who's playing on the servers & mine is doing the exact same thing as yours Chain. I'm thinking this isn't MB's fault? I mean, what are the odds?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:34 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I hadn't used MB for several days.... probably since before this topic was birthed. Anyway, I just ran MB to see who's playing on the servers & mine is doing the exact same thing as yours Chain. I'm thinking this isn't MB's fault? I mean, what are the odds?

my MB is doing fine. so it seems its not MB's fault :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 am

Oh, that's a relief Red! You must be right! I was going through all kinds of files and firewalls and couldn't find anything. So it must be somewhere else down the line. Well, I'll quit messing with my computer Torhu, and just see if it comes back eventually. I use the trusty Monster Browser quite a bit! :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:48 am

For what it's worth, I manually put in the IP addresses for most of the servers, and they all worked fine, until I closed Monster. Then they were all gone again, and the master couldn't find them. A line down somewhere in America? :roll:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 pm

One of the cool things about Monster is that I can instantly see who's playing on servers with the lowest ping for my location! While I'm waiting for this Monster issue to be resolved, does any other browser/launcher do what Monster does? :roll:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 am

I can't figure out why MB still isn't working for me. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Interesting, I just deleted it, and then reinstalled the latest version again, let it load up, and now it's back! Go figure? A couple of the former servers aren't shown (like G4J), but most of them are there.
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel