With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

What does Smokin Guns needs the most at the moment?

New Deathmatch maps
No votes
New Bank robbery maps
28%
New player skins
11%
New usable guns
25%
Other
36%
Nothing
No votes

Total votes : 36

What does Sg needs the most right now?

Postby kaiyouw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Soon Ill be on vacations, and I will have lots of free time to work on some ideas Ive had during the year. So, I was wondering what should I dedicate my free time to. What does Sg needs the most?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 am

New players is the right answer ;)

If you are also interested and skillful in coding, take a look at this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=2067&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's the request for new 'typical' mode which SG currently lacks and which imho would be the most important thing to do if we'd like to see more players playing this game. No cosmetic changes, engine improvements etc will fill in the gap of addictive gameplay. That's why (btw) I don't expect much to change in SG community after 1.1 release and i guess even coders don't... so treat this post as a reminder of the above topic.

And limited to your pool's propositions only: my choice is BR maps ;)
Cheers :)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Juaro Juarez » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm

What SG needs most now is the 1.1 beta released on the main server ( BB and Jeux) now.
Because new dm/br maps will come with that.
We have tons of new maps, don't we?
Donut did already 3/4 ones :D
So, we'd have some more action going on at servers :D
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Donut did already 3/4 ones

Muffin and me did 3 maps but the 4th is nearly finish. I think it will be released in about 2-3 weeks if we don't get any strange bugs.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm

• New Deathmatch maps: I think we have plenty of maps for DM.
  • New Bank Robbery maps: Every time we make new BR maps they never get played because players want Durango or Mexico.
  • New player skins: We just got brand new skins! Leon did a great job re-skinning the current models (look at WQ3 2.2 for proof). What we should get is new player models.
  • New usable guns: We cannot get the current weapons balanced (especially the pistols and the rifles, but thats another topic in its self). New weapons would be cool, but not necessarily needed I think.
  • Other: New game modes (my vote). I think a mission orientated game mode would really help SG. It would be great if the new game mode required all new maps. This way we would have the chance to make new "Durangos" for a new game mode. I know about the thread dowoshek posted.

I hope this winter I can get somethings done with SG that might fall into the "other" category.
  • Nothing: glad to see nobody has voted for this option! :P

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lon' » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:59 pm

in my opnion we need more br maps! until now in 1.0 we have just 13 maps.. if u see others games based in q3mode they have at least 20 -30 maps or more.
Some games based on wolfstein mode the maps of the server u upload at same time when u join the server. its a really good idea (Auto-download mode)
its true that the most played is santacruz, mexico and durango but i believe if we have more maps we will have more choices to play and off course enjoy more the game
Im not sure how many maps its alredy done to be realeased in 1.1 version.... but i think if we have more it will be interesting :>D
I ve seen all maps finished here in sg site.. i liked a lot of all including some of donut and lake and clayborn..
Ive seen the kayows project map... and I really enjoyed it!
Its really good br map soon he will realiased to be analysed here and i think u guys will like it.. it will not take longer i think!!!

welll! a new game mode of the game would be really great too. I must agree of pardner!!! But who would be the guy to start it? it will be great...

I dont understand nothing about mode.. codes... animations... and mapping... but a new mode game this willl be wonderfullllllll :D :roll:

cya friends and
mary cristmas
Lon'
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:28 pm

The new game modes is a great idea. And, though it has also been discussed before, new characters with animation would be fun. Obviously it seems to be a rather complex field of expertise. We sure do have some first rate maps that could easily warrant fancy new animated models!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Personally i would also prefer new game modes.
I had had some ideas a long time ago but then I thought they where rubbish.

1. A game mode similar to tower defense ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_defense ).

I thought that the humans spawn on the roofs and that they aren't able to get to the ground (no-player-clip). After a short brake to get to a good shooting position a team of unarmed bots will run on the ground to a special area of the map. The task of the players would be to kill all bots before they reach the area. If 1 bot reaches the area the players would loose 1 live (from maybe 30) and the bot get automatically killed. When the players have no live left they loose. The aim of the mode is to keep the bots as long as you can out of this area. To make this interesting i would prefer two things.

1. The bots should charge in a wave system. (for example in the first bot wave they should have about 30 hp and the next maybe 50 hp and so on...)

2. The weapons you could use should also be unlock by the wave system so that you can use in the first round one Remington'58, in the next maybe one Remington and a Winchester 1866 and so on... (the last weapon should be diamante and the Molotov cocktails).

here is a picture of a map i had made some time ago.

2. The other idea was similar to the first.
Whit the change that the bots have weapons and get stronger and stronger every wave and you are also at the ground. So would be you aim to survive as long as you can.

3. Last man standing (camper mode) :D
I think everyone knows this mode out of outer games. All players fight against each other and the one how survive will be the winner.

4. and of curse i also would like a capture the flag mode

I think the first two ideas would also be great fun in single-player mode and as modes for lan-fun.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:27 am

As a player, I would love to have buyable/deployable/breakable small wooden crates (as a primitive defense measure or just for fun, to stack 'em up ;-) ).

Juaro Juarez wrote:What SG needs most now is the 1.1 beta released on the main server ( BB and Jeux) now.

In August this year, I did consider to offer a DM server with custom maps, but I decided against it because of the following reasons:
  • the SG1.0 client does not support http downloads, hence there is no convenient way to transfer custom content to the clients
  • dm_lake and dm_lago were the only DM maps worth to consider at the time. All other maps were of rather simplistic nature, had issues and/or were designed with only BR in mind. (Dear mappers, DM maps require suitable spawn locations, e.g. corners, niches, and/or interiors!)
  • it is (still) unknown, for how long we are stuck with SG1.1b4, therefore, as a server administrator, I can neither ask nor urge, let alone force people to update to SG1.1b4 in good conscience
In my opinion, the most important thing SG needs is a release of a next version. As an administrator of a DM server, I would also like to see good DM maps (especially larger ones) with enough suitable spawn locations. Also, many of the existing maps could be improved in various ways.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby dowoshek » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

Pardner wrote:
  • New Bank Robbery maps: Every time we make new BR maps they never get played because players want Durango or Mexico.

Yes, Cobber and El Paso are the ones i'd really like to see more often. But it's probably all about the more players online the more servers used... results in the more maps used because it's easier to find fellows like me who like Cobber etc. So it's another argument for completing 1.1 and then forgetting about 'cosmetics' for a while.

This game is very unique in todays FPS family. The market is filled by very fast-action shooters, both machine guns and fantasy, and it's very harsh experience to play SG after. And my guess is that most of new guys runs the game once or twice and then forgets because it's just ->too unique<- It needs something to encourage new 'typical' players, just to catch them, and many of them will surely appreciate the more unique aspects of the game - they just need time for this. And what can be more 'typical', newbies-friendly and addictive than ctf?

Yes, I know i keep repeating myself, especially if you read my STB topic mentioned above, but I got some response after all:
Pardner wrote:
  • Other
    I hope this winter I can get somethings done with SG that might fall into the "other" category.

;)
PS: Forget about 'unique' after 1.1 and just for a while... ohh... am I repeating myself?
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby steve » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am

I think the biggest thing would be finalizing (non beta) a new release of Smokin' Guns and getting more media/press out about it (ModDB).

In the future though...

Skeletal animation support (.iqm)
    Improvements on the original maps (I'd love to get my hands on the cobber canyon source)
    Improved weapon models (they all seem to lack smoothing groups/hard edges)
    An expansion of the particle system for more effects then just gunsmoke/func_smoke
steve
Pistolero

Postby SmokeyBacon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 pm

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Release 1.1

Beta came out a very long time ago, over the next few weeks anticipation was high but after it became clear that it wasn't going to come out for summer even, the player base started declining. I mentioned before that lots of clans have become inactive and nowadays most players are the come-and-go types, we have few proper regulars left.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Twig » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:54 am

^ What Smokey said.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby CoolHand » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

What Smokey said...
I was one of those players that were 'lost'... I keep checking back occasionally, and mean to pick up playing again, but, really, the new version would go a long way to motivate me... :D
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby Bodie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

1.1. New blood in our veins.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Next

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel