With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Horse, Grass & Boxes not right - 1.1b4

Postby IslandBoy77 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 am

Hi all

My first post here, so be gentle. ;)

Firstly, huge thanks to those creating the maps & improving the game. Currently, SG is my fav "sit down for 20 mins for a good blast" game - even above my payware games like Star Wars Battlefront, Halo2, Far Cry & Modern Warfare. Just goes to show that free can still be very good and enjoyable.

I've "upgraded" SG to 1.1b4 - took a bit of fluffing about as the 1.1b4 update from moddb was slightly corrupted, and I was getting that weird trail ghosting on screen making the game unplayable. Now, esp on the Alamo (my fav) - version 2 - the horses, many boxes, and all the grass show up as white grid on black, with the horses being a basic grey & white. Do I need to remove the Alamo 1 file from the directory? Is there a fix?

Thanks all! :)
Peter
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby Mart Duggan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:00 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but welcome to SG!
The Hoss - Rawhide part owner
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Does this also happen on v1.1 servers online?
Make sure all your files are intact, I posted md5sums somewhere :)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby IslandBoy77 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks for the greets.

I don't game online - reflexes aren't up to that, nor internet connection speed - so I don't know if it's a problem online.

As for files being intact, I don't know. Also, I don't know how to do md4sums checks either. I'm happy to redownload everything if I have to, but until I read a post elsewhere here, I thought that the moddb website was supposed to have the best. So if they don't, who does?

Ta. :)
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I asked about online gaming, since online servers will validate most of your files, so you'd know whether they're intact or not.

Assuming you're on windows, there are several graphical programs which calculate md5sums. I can't recommend a specific one, since I've never used any of them.
In case you know how to use Bittorrent, you might as well download the game via torrent. The Bittorrent protocol has rather good inbuilt checks.
You might as well try to re-download the files until it works..
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Mart Duggan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 am

Could be your video card. Check your system.
The Hoss - Rawhide part owner
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby IslandBoy77 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 am

I'll look into the Torrent, as I'm up to speed with that. It's just a bit awkward & slow usually (especially in NZ as we only have ADSL, not broadband), so was hoping there was a reliable dedicated site somewhere I could get it from.

Mart: As for the graphics card - the only game I'm having any notable issues on visually is SG - all the others I play, including the free version of Civ, which is excellent - are fine. What sort of check(s) are you thinking that need to be performed? I'm on Vista SP2 (and despite groans about Vista, I've had a pretty good run out of it apart from the bloat), using a DX11 1GB Radeon HD5770.

I've only noticed the problem with the grass, horses & crates since upgrading to 1.1b4.
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 am

To me it seems obvious there are some missing textures in your map packs.
Try to substitute your alamo2.pk3 file (and probably also joekarimat2.pk3 file) with that hosted by TheDoctor here: http://174.120.2.100/~thedocfr/smokinguns/

An extensive explanation, also by TheDoctor, about test and use of new maps and skins in SG 1.1b4 is here: http://bb.smokin-guns.org/update/

Good luck.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby IslandBoy77 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:37 am

Thanks Biondo for your help - that did the trick. Not sure where the corruption was per se, as the file size were the same down to the byte - although since I don't know how to do the checksum hash thing, it's possible that some of the data within was just plain busted.

Anyway, I had a great 30 or so rounds of the Alamo last night - great to see green grass, brown horses, proper doors on the church et al! Now, if someone can just tweak the AI so they don't stay "caged" in confined areas for long periods of time, that would be most excellent... ;)
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm

If you have SG1.1b4 and are content to play against bots, you should try to connect to the server "[SG1.1b4, cl_allowdownload 1] Terra Nova":
Code: Select all
\cl_allowDownload 1
\connect bb.smokin-guns.org:27962
\callvote map dm_alamo_tiny

I tweaked the bots slightly and the spawn points server-side a little bit, so the bots eventually show up at the saloon entrance.

EDIT: I just noticed you're connecting from New Zealand - maybe too far away. Also, I fixed an error regarding the allowDownload command
Last edited by TheDoctor on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby IslandBoy77 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Yeah, latency from NZ is always a nuisance. Apart from the fact that I'm not fast enough to keep up with most online gamers (I game for relaxation, not for a living.. :lol: ), the lag on any servers outside of NZ usually either gets me kicked, or the game (whatever game that might be) is pretty much unplayable (target has shifted by the time I squeeze the trigger). My upstream is around 60 Kbps - with downstream being a princely 4-5 Mbps - which is usually ok for NZ gaming (not that I've done much of that either), but is still short for international stuff.

Just in case I decide to have a go for a laugh, and not being especially familiar with SG yet, how do I apply that command you've listed? One thing that I am still learning is the more "raw" side of open-source games: I'm used to retail games not giving (easy) access to command-line-like interfaces. :oops:
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 pm

You would open the console, usually by pressing the key left to "1", then backspace 0-2 times (to delete any possibly invisible characters on the left of the cursor). If the command is not chatted, it has been correctly applied.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby IslandBoy77 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Ok, so I press the tilde button ~, and copy & paste your post above: gotcha. I'll have a lash over the weekend & see how I get on.

Thanks to all for your help. :D
IslandBoy77
Drifter

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi,

For your trouble in Alamo, usually, this indicate either a missing texture, either a conflicted version of a shader file.

Assuming it is a conflicting shader, if you don't play online, you can try to fix a .pk3 file.
Pk3 are just like .zip, so if you have either winzip or winrar or something to open archive, you can open pk3. Try to locate multiple version of joekari.shader in those pk3, and try to erase older one.
Be careful, if you modify those file, you will not be able to play online anymore.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel