With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

A few bugs as of r620

Postby Pardner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I found a few bugs while putting a few finishing touches on DeathValleyMine. I was hoping we could get them fixed before 1.1b5. I am not sure where to look in the code, I thought maybe I could get a few pointers at the very least.

1. Crosshair does not turn red when pointed at teammates. This must be new since 1.1b4.
  2. func_doors with the START_OPEN spawnflag are not handled properly at the start of a BR round. Door spawns correctly during warm-up (time before first round), but spawns in the closed position at the start of BR rounds. This can be fixed by setting the RETURN spawnflag, but causes other problems (see #3). I can provide a map that demonstrates this problem.
  3. (#2 continued) Doors with the RETURN flag do not automatically return after the start of a new round if the wait time is longer than the round time. I could provide a map to demonstrate this.
  4. Similar to #3, the start of a new round does not reset/stop target_delay timers. If a delay timer extends beyond the end of a BR round, the target is fired during the next round.
Last edited by Pardner on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:55 am

*BUMP* Moved to public forum hoping for some public suggestions :D
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Barto » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm

I just don't know if it's useful for you but here we go:

I had some fps freeze (count it for 2-3 seconds on a small map and a lot more on huge maps) while using custom compiled .exe (r618) on a 1.1beta4 server (terranova in this case). I think it's just some compatibility error but I hope to not see it in the future release.
I have any problem while playing in a 1.0 server or in LAN. So no worry about it there.

Just about when it happens, it is every time the game needs to calculate a new bunch of polygons like changing of vis area in the map or just even shooting at an enemy's hat.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: A few bugs as of r620

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 am

Pardner wrote:
  1. Crosshair does not turn red when pointed at teammates. This must be new since 1.1b4.

Does this happen, when you build SG from SVN and start a local sever? For example, red crosshairs are never shown on Terra Nova, a change introduced to confuse existing aimbots.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Barto wrote:I had some fps freeze (count it for 2-3 seconds on a small map and a lot more on huge maps) while using custom compiled .exe (r618) on a 1.1beta4 server (terranova in this case). I think it's just some compatibility error but I hope to not see it in the future release.

torhu wrote:I got some strange movement lag issues when I tried it, but maybe that was just a one time thing.

torhu wrote:The lag issue I'm getting is a bit disturbing. Looks a bit like when you lose contact with the server for a moment, and then you're suddenly moved a couple of feet away from where you thought you were. This shouldn't happen in single player mode.

Hmmmm.... I don't know if this is the same lag issue torhu was talking about. It may have to be something we need to test when it comes to beta as torhu was the only dev member that was having this problem.

TheDoctor wrote:
Pardner wrote:

Does this happen, when you build SG from SVN and start a local sever? For example, red crosshairs are never shown on Terra Nova, a change introduced to confuse existing aimbots.

Yes this was on a local SP server. No red crosshair. Maybe tequila integrated one of your patches and the red crosshair was accidentally removed. Doesn't really matter if it is removed from terra-nova, but i think it should be in the SG base release. I might have some time this weekend to take a look-see and try to get some of this stuff working (except the lag issue!!)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Barto » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Pardner wrote:Hmmmm.... I don't know if this is the same lag issue torhu was talking about. It may have to be something we need to test when it comes to beta as torhu was the only dev member that was having this problem.

Just to add some more infos, I gave the binaries to one friend (HighSteric) and he had the same issue (we were playing together on terranova).
I compiled them on Windows XP Home 32b with MinGW and MSYS. Highsteric has a Windows 7 system. Could it be a Subversion error (TortoiseSVN might have messed up the code?). Should I try to use a 'make-clean' instead of a simple 'make'?
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:01 pm

The steps I take when upgrading to the newest revision is:
  1. Build new binaries from the repository following Sucalakafufu's tutorial
  2. Clean my qvm folder by running the "mak-clean.bat"
  3. Buiild new qvms by running the "make.bat"
  4. Zip qvms then move qvms and binary to smokinguns folder.

The SVN should not mess the code up at all.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Crosshair does not turn red when pointed at teammates. This must be new since 1.1b4.

I tested this in single player mode, but the red X did show up like it was supposed to. I used the data files from our release repository, with the r618 msvc 10 executable.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 pm

I didn't have those lag issue with the latest revision, under linux, and under winXP (using cross-compiled binaries).

Are you using the right QVM for the right binaries?
1.1b4 QVMs are not supposed to work with 1.1b5 binaries, so any attempt to run those binaries in a 1.1b4 context may fail at some degrees...

For the doors, I will see what I can do, but I am very busy right now, until february.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 pm

torhu wrote:
Crosshair does not turn red when pointed at teammates. This must be new since 1.1b4.

I tested this in single player mode, but the red X did show up like it was supposed to. I used the data files from our release repository, with the r618 msvc 10 executable.

:oops: :oops: :oops: So after re-compiling my binary and building new vms, I too have red Xs on my crosshair. I checked and I double checked, but somehow I still managed to embarrass myself. I will cross that off the list

Joe Kari wrote:For the doors, I will see what I can do, but I am very busy right now, until february.

Awesome! Thanks Joe. Don't stress too much. I keep trying to find time to look myself. My map works OK, but it would work a lot better with these fixes.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 am

On a sidenote: Did you also include all the map-fixes discussed in
viewtopic.php?t=1870 ?

Further:

About Alamo: you can also access the bag in saloon without destroying the safe (simply walk against the rightside edge of the safe-door).

About cobber: inside the tunnel which leads from the safe to the house in the middle of the map, there's a rock/hill. Players jump on top of this rock to see (bug) players inside the defenders-spawn-house. It's even possible to throw dynamites from there.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 am

moRtem wrote:About Alamo: you can also access the bag in saloon without destroying the safe (simply walk against the rightside edge of the safe-door).

About cobber: inside the tunnel which leads from the safe to the house in the middle of the map, there's a rock/hill. Players jump on top of this rock to see (bug) players inside the defenders-spawn-house. It's even possible to throw dynamites from there.

Those bugs are engine bug. ATM nobody has tried his hand to patch the old q3 engine, so physics are still wrong in many place.

For Alamo, I have added a big invisible cube so nobody can steal the bag without destroying the safe anymore (both safe are patched).

I don't remember anyone doing something for br_cobber.

Dynamite bug is really a bad one...
Sorry, but we are really low on coding resource right now.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 am

moRtem wrote:On a sidenote: Did you also include all the map-fixes discussed in
viewtopic.php?t=1870 ?

Anything under the "Fixed" section is done and will deleted once a stable version is released.

moRtem wrote:About cobber: inside the tunnel which leads from the safe to the house in the middle of the map, there's a rock/hill. Players jump on top of this rock to see (bug) players inside the defenders-spawn-house. It's even possible to throw dynamites from there.

Thats a new one. I think the player's head binding box it too small, but I think there are plenty of threads on this. There are also tons of spots in SG where this kind of stuff happens (maybe not as bad is cobber)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know that this stuff is engine-related.
Too bad then. :(

I am also playing on 1.1b4 for ages now, but it's the first version of this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=2079&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
And i am playing on jeuxlinux mostly (so just on 1.0-servers).

So far the only thing that still bothers me a lot is, that (and i have already written it somewhere on the forum) connecting to a server is very slow. I'm never able to join before the first round starts (in SG1.0 connecting was a lot faster).

Another thing is, that most times after a game ends and the server changes map, the client (me) starts to reconnect, and when almost finished, ends up with an error-message (Juaro has the same problem).
I thought i made a screenshot yesterday, but i obviously didn't. I will post one soon. But the error-message says something about "cycled out" (cl_parse* i believe).

You probably fixed those errors already in the latest builds. I will update to 1.1b5 as soon as it's ready.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:11 pm

moRtem wrote:...And i am playing on jeuxlinux mostly

...connecting to a server is very slow.

I had this problem as well. I am hoping that this is just because you are using the new binaries on an old server. Also, remember that the end goal is to get everybody running 1.1 at some point in time. If this problem continues, it will be less noticeable if everybody is a little slow and nobody joins to start the first round.

moRtem wrote:Another thing is, that most times after a game ends and the server changes map, the client (me) starts to reconnect, and when almost finished, ends up with an error-message (Juaro has the same problem).
I thought i made a screenshot yesterday, but i obviously didn't. I will post one soon. But the error-message says something about "cycled out" (cl_parse* i believe).

You probably fixed those errors already in the latest builds. I will update to 1.1b5 as soon as it's ready.

Those may or may not be fixed. With the roll out of 1.1b5, I hope we get some more activity on the test servers. This way we can identify these type of bugs and hopefully get the fixed.
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel